My gal's first two week experience in USA

Hi, I am beginning to see that many of our gals have some similar traits that they brought with them from China. . . such as the washing all the time, loving to eat fruit, drinking bottled water (not from tap), etc.

But you guys don't know hot weather. It has been over 115 degrees here for about a week. I am surprised at how well she has adapted to the warm weather. What are you guys talking about, window air conditioners?? Do they still have them in the U.S.? I thought all the homes in the U.S. had central air and heating. I must be spoiled :blink:

But isn't this fun . . . watching our gals assimilate and learn from them. :o

I am really fortunate in the way my wife is adapting. Just short of three weeks now and she is getting along great! The quirks you are describing are what I expected, but she is fitting right in.

I am the one that misses the hard bed we have back in Shenyang. It was good for my back. She has pronounced the soft mattress we are on as being very good.

She has been invited to play piano for my mother's church and has several standing invitations to come and use the piano in people's homes. We resurected a keyboard that had been sitting unused in my parent's home and she is delighted with it.

She is in love with my brother's two children and they spend all their time when they are here with her quite happily.

The heat and high humidity have surprised her, but she is up every morning about six and out for a walk around the property. She helped me to dig up and plant a flower garden to improve the looks of the entrance to my parent's place. She has announced that she would like to plant the five acres in vegtables and "make a lot of money".

She is very impressed with American farming methods. The wheat harvest went through here last week and the machinery was a new thing to her.

Being rural Kansas, everybody waves as they drive by. That has left her with a very favorable impression of how friendly people are.

I happen to agree about opening up the house and getting some fresh air in the mornings when it is relatively cool, but my father complains about that, so we forgo it.

I've made several job applications including one at the Kickapoo Nation school. Now that would be an interesting change from teaching in China.

I'm actually working on a book about our journey. It's titled "Seeing Myself Through Her Eyes". The first half has been about our travels in China, Hong Kong and Thailand. The second half will be about her impressions as we travel around the country during the next two months. It's a comedy :wub:

Someone mentioned Northern Michigan..who was that? Northern Michigan is our first stop on our trip. Will probably get married on Mackinac Island.

I'm actually working on a book about our journey.  It's titled "Seeing Myself Through Her Eyes".  The first half has been about our travels in China, Hong Kong and Thailand.  The second half will be about her impressions as we travel around the country during the next two months.  It's a comedy :wub:

Someone mentioned Northern Michigan..who was that?  Northern Michigan is our first stop on our trip.  Will probably get married on Mackinac Island.

Me, Tom. Would love to welcome you to MI. Come when it is warm. :wub: :wub:

Living with my fiancee is a challenge but fun.

She gets upset if I don't brush teeth before eating breakfast. I told her I use mouth wash to kill the bateria.

Also, my fiancee won't let me wash underwear together with my socks. She said socks get spread diseases. She has a good point (jog itch). Also, she prefers the hot air (from windows) than the air conditioner.

I guess I am extremely fortunate in that Li loves the outdoors and nature. When we first came to the States, we lived in a mid-sized city but have recently moved back into the countryside, about 25 miles outside the city and across the state line into Tennessee. It is absolutely gorgeous here, rolling hills, abundant wildlife, beautiful trees and a multitude of wild flowers. Li is a real "nature girl" and loves the peace and tranquility of rural life. We are really much happier out here even though it is quite a commute to get into town. Of course, there is a small town, Ardmore, right on the state line with Alabama. It is only five minutes away. It has a population of around 700. But it does have a great Chinese restaurant. :D

As I said, I guess I am lucky. From things I have read on other boards, some of the girls from the large cities in China do not like small town America. I suspect it is a case of what one is used to. Keeping an open mind is important I think.

Tony, so glad to hear that your first few weeks are going well. :blink:

I guess I am extremely fortunate in that Li loves the outdoors and nature. When we first came to the States, we lived in a mid-sized city but have recently moved back into the countryside, about 25 miles outside the city and across the state line into Tennessee. It is absolutely gorgeous here, rolling hills, abundant wildlife, beautiful trees and a multitude of wild flowers. Li is a real "nature girl" and loves the peace and tranquility of rural life. We are really much happier out here even though it is quite a commute to get into town. Of course, there is a small town, Ardmore, right on the state line with Alabama. It is only five minutes away. It has a population of around 700. But it does have a great Chinese restaurant. :P

As I said, I guess I am lucky. From things I have read on other boards, some of the girls from the large cities in China do not like small town America. I suspect it is a case of what one is used to. Keeping an open mind is important I think.

Tony, so glad to hear that your first few weeks are going well. :D

The beauty of America is fully expressed by the rural area: the trees, the water, the sky, the air, the buildings, the flower, the cloud, the wild birds and animals.....it's terrific! :D

Sarah

I guess I am extremely fortunate in that Li loves the outdoors and nature. When we first came to the States, we lived in a mid-sized city but have recently moved back into the countryside, about 25 miles outside the city and across the state line into Tennessee. It is absolutely gorgeous here, rolling hills, abundant wildlife, beautiful trees and a multitude of wild flowers. Li is a real "nature girl" and loves the peace and tranquility of rural life. We are really much happier out here even though it is quite a commute to get into town. Of course, there is a small town, Ardmore, right on the state line with Alabama. It is only five minutes away. It has a population of around 700. But it does have a great Chinese restaurant. :lol:

Tony, so glad to hear that your first few weeks are going well. :D

The beauty of America is fully expressed by the rural area: the trees, the water, the sky, the air, the buildings, the flower, the cloud, the wild birds and animals.....it's terrific! :P

Sarah

You are so right Sarah. I went outside early this morning an saw a small group of cardinals feeding in the trees and a red-tailed hawk circling in the morning sky. Absolutely wonderful experience. :lol:

The beauty of America is fully expressed by the rural area: the trees, the water, the sky, the air, the buildings, the flower, the cloud, the wild birds and animals.....it's terrific! :P

Sarah

You are so right Sarah. I went outside early this morning an saw a small group of cardinals feeding in the trees and a red-tailed hawk circling in the morning sky. Absolutely wonderful experience. B)

Yes, and American birds always dare to fly very closely to people, which surprised me a lot! :D

Sarah

• 1 month later...