How long does it take to get to GZ airport?

If we pick up the visa "after 4 PM" as instructed, what is the earliest flight we can safely catch at the GZ airport? I'm thinking we can probably make a 7:30 flight to Hong Kong but that will be rush hour.

I don't want to stay in GZ one minute longer than I have to. Been there many times and never liked that city.

Which raises the oft raised question: which hotel to stay at the night before. I've been to the White Swan and it's ok but the rooms are a little ratty (at least they were 4 or 5 years ago). Is there a better choice? I like to stay nice places and money isn't really a concern since we'll only be there for one night.

Guest Long_strider

Tom,

Yuqing went in at 4 pm to pick up her visa and came out about 5 minutes until 5. She was near the end of the waiting line.

The Airport is about a 35 minute taxi ride through traffic to the GZ Airport.

There are only a few international gates. Depending upon the amount of luggage it should only take about 40 minutes to check in, go thru security, fill out the departure card etc.

7:30pm will be tight but likely doable if you hit not snags. I have gone through the GZ airport 3 times without problems except the last when we have 4 large luggage with one overweight. We had to repack some things standing off to the side.

Can't help you much with the hotel stuff. I stayed at their parent's home. The China Hotel (Hard Rock cafe is there also) I have heard is ok, but some distance from the Consulate.

Mike

Warn her to be extra careful with her bags at GZ Airport. When Li and I left there we had a carry-on stolen right out from under our nose. It contained all my university degrees and transcripts, many irreplaceable items and photographs, and $500 U.S.. :angry: ;)

Don't let anything valuable out of your line of sight for even a second.

Prepare to have you luggage opened by BCIS. You will hate them after your trip. They opened my luggage everytime I transfered planes on my trip to New Zealand (US airports). You can lock your bags when you check in at China Airport because you will have to claim your bags at the POE. After that unlock them. It seems that my luggage was rolled end over end alot so avoid fragile items in your bags. I suggest putting all the items in plastic bags inside the luggage. When they close the lids they don't care if articles are hanging out. My lap top did make it through inspection safely and securely.

I doubt that you are going to find any hotel better than the White Swan. If you find it ratty, then you would be absolutely shocked at many of the places that I have stayed in while in China. My wife pronounced it as being only for rich people. (Meaning no way we were going to spend that kind of money) The Shaimen Hotel just down the road from the White Swan and very close to the Consulate is a good choice. The Seamen's Hotel across the river from the Consulate has some very good deals on the sixth and seventh floors if I remember correctly.

I would opt for the train to Hong Kong also. Trains leave from the East Train Station.

BTW, I have to agree. I was never impressed by GZ.

Regarding hotels, we checked into a local joint in ShangriLa last year that was .....substandard. When Ling came out of the bathroom she said "This IS a luxury joint! They took the donkey out of here before we checked in. Not long before, but that's better than the alternative!" :lol:

Regarding transportation, we decided to bag Hong Kong and fly back to Beijing. The Chicago flight is nonstop from BJ and leaves at 4:30 PM the next day so if we miss the last flight out of GZ we can always catch one the next morning. This way we don't have to carry all our luggage to GZ either.

Wow, hearing all these stories about the airport after picking up your visa sounds so great. Can’t wait until I do the same when I arrive to pick up my girl. Can’t wait to see Shanghai again and this time not having to say a goodbye.

But that will have to wait for a little something like a name clearance and the infamous interview. Congratulations to you who have made it.

Luke

On our particlar day they did not finsih processing the visas until 4:30 pm. Nevertheless, We picked up our visa at about 4:40 pm. and were safely at the airport 35/40 minutes later through rush hour traffic. It's not all that far at all. We caught a 6:55 flight to Qingdao....

I toured China two years ago - one of theose 8 cities/ three weeks deals - Guangzhhou was my least favorite city then and nothing on this trip changed my mind. Those involved with tourists seem to expect much in the way of compensation yet provide less than any other place I've visited. If I am lucky I will never have to go there again! :lol:

Dave

Thanks for all the info.

I booked flights today. We will fly back to Beijing after the interview and then HOME! the next day. United only had business class available but since I have flown about a gazillion miles with them they gave us the seats even at a discounted coach rate :huh: