Do you call your gal by her Chinese name or her English name?

Do you call your gal by her Chinese name or her English name?

My gal's name does not easily fit in my mouth :smartass: ...so I (almost always) call her by her Chinese name...but she seems to like her English name.

Xiaoyuan told me that she got her English name Cindy in her English class. I do not know if she picked it or if the name was assigned to her. ...but she likes her English name and might even be proud of it.

So now I call her Cindy more often...

Do you call your gal by her English or Chinese name?

Which does she prefer?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started with Alice. Upon arrival in the US, she decided that if people couldn't remember Yin, they probably didn't care about her in the first place.

Therefore, Chinese name of Yin, followed quickly behind by Lampo, followed thereafter by "Yes Honey!" and culminating with "Yes Ma'am!" with myself standing at attention, after administering of corporal punishment! (e.g. mop slapped!) LOL

if we're talking about proper names... her chinese name: Zi Xuan.

I've yet to hear a non-chinese pronounce it correctly.. I say it correctly about 90% of the time :P

She took her childhood name of Lili (english as Lily).. but since she is so used to Lili pronounciation, some people get confused since she forgets to say the "y" at the end for Lily. So she says her english name correctly about 10% of the time. :D

Pingxiu likes to go by Lisa. This is as much about business as anything else.

Lisa works in a service industry (facials, nails and pedicures). She interfaces with many clients daily and worried most Amercians would have trouble with Pingxiu. So she decide to go by her name that an English teacher had given her. It appears to have been a very good business decision.

For me, I call her "Laopo" among other things, but when I use her name I respectfully call her Lisa, since this is her preference.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

I call my Wife by her Chinese name,YingYing.I love her Chinese name.She doesn't have an English name,but my step Daughter likes to be called by her English name,Vicky,Which she picked herself .

Neither my wife or daughter has an English name.

My wife just goes by the regular pinyin representation of her Chinese name. I do not pronounce it as Chinese do, but it's close.

My daughter has a single character given name. In China people would double it (such as Ling Ling, Ping Ping, etc). Our daughter has adopted the doubling in pinyin as her given name as very few Americans would naturally double the name.

Both ladies have taken my family name.

Ohh ... and we call Leiqin, Leiqin just like Dennis does. :P