Do you call your gal by her Chinese name or her English name?

Lao Po prefers her Chinese name "Mengwei" (mung-way). Her English name is May, but I personally do not like to use the name, except in the presence of friends and other family members who have trouuble pronouncing her name.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I talked about her using an American name but never came up with one that was suitable. I love her Chinese name any way and would not use something else. Minghua means "Sun and Moon of China" and she is my sun and moon.

It does give some people trouble and they will shorten it to Ming.

I am looking forward to when she can whisper in my ear whatever she wants!!

Do not care what she calls me, just as long as it is while she is next to me!! :winkiss: :secret:

Yep, until you answer her "ok" to something she asked of you in Chinese and you did not know what it was, only thinking it was cute fuzzy talk. :roller: :rotfl:

She usually cathches me doing that one, I get the "look" and a very firm NO! She then tells me one more time what I will be doing! :roller:

My wife's chinese name was Yi, she worked of a large travel company and everone had American names and used every day, due to fact that they worked with Canada and American Airlines. So I have always called her Ella and my adtoped daughter Shanyu has always used Kelly since she was in grade school in China. When Ella became a citizen she changed her name to Ella and when I adopted Kelly she decided to change the spelling to Kellie.

Tine

Edited by Tine & Ella (see edit history)

Do you call your gal by her Chinese name or her English name?

My gal's name does not easily fit in my mouth :P ...so I (almost always) call her by her Chinese name...but she seems to like her English name.

Xiaoyuan told me that she got her English name Cindy in her English class. I do not know if she picked it or if the name was assigned to her. ...but she likes her English name and might even be proud of it.

So now I call her Cindy more often...

Do you call your gal by her English or Chinese name?

Which does she prefer?

I have no clue what what my wifes english name is, :o

Only Chiness is this house.

We only speak Chiness and eat Chiness.

Don't get me wrong, She speaks good English and is a fantastic cook.

But I'm in TRAINING We both work at the same place.

At work, English only! At home, Chinese only. :blink:

As for her name, Zhenghong. But friends and family call her Hong.