Panic from my lao po , a bit late

Just early this morning, as I type to you. My lao po got very worried because she noticed my tax returns were a bit different. Although it's a little to late but I didn't think she would worry about this.

To be more specific on the cause of panic,

She looked at my 2003 and 2004 tax returns which has the normal 1040 format but after she looked at my 2005, 2006 she panicked because they both look different.

That is because the 2005 tax return I filed at a Jackson Hewitt store which they gave me a copy.

The 2006 return, i requested a tax transcript from the IRS government reflected the change after my return was processed so I needed to send her an up to date tax return. The IRS government then sent me the tax transcript by fax. I did give her the original W2;s but is this something I should be concerned about? She is really pushing me to make similar 1040's to the one I did in 2003 and 2004 which has the basic 1040 format. Is she right or have I made a big mistake. Has anyone been through this situation before?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Can you get transcripts from the IRS for all 3 years? Then you will be consistant, and quite honestly, 1040's can be faked by anyone and transcripts are viewed as "the real deal" by government officials. When I called the IRS for transcripts, they had 2 copies of 3 years transcripts in my hands in about 5 days by mail. I also think transcripts minimize your need to have all 3 years W-2's, which is good, because I only have 2004 W-2. (self employed 2005/2006). Hope this puts your mind at ease somewhat?

Michael,

I agree that spacebar should have nothing to worry about with the tax transcripts he has, faxed or otherwise as long as they match the W-2's and what the tax preperation company has filed for him in the past.

One issue he has is that his interview appointment is for the 8th if I recall correctly. This will limit him in choices to change up at this last minute.

I think you are fine spacebar with what you have. I do see the concern of your SO. Time to reassure her all will be well. Stress time is at a maximum for all of us now.

Clayton

I wouldn't worry about it either. Guangzhou has seen it all.

As far as faking 1040's. You could also fake transcripts with todays technology. They are nothing more than a printed splash screen off an AS/400 system. Scan them back in, change any figures you want, print them back out and wahlah, you have a fake IRS transcript. This is why GUZ and USCIS will ask for W2's as supporting documents.

One member who met the Candle for Love officer at ACH was asked to tell CFL that GZ likes to see W-2s

I guess "everything" can be faked then?...cough : )

I posted awhile back of my concerns for only having 2004 W-2 because I was self-employed 1/2 of 2004, and all of 2005 and 2006 (and did not officially "draw" a paycheck but paid income taxes the proceeding years though). I seem to remember "transcripts" as being the remedy for lack of W-2's at GUZ?

Yes, IRS was very nice, and very accommodating (800-829-1040)

Edited by michaelt (see edit history)

Although I have saved my last three years of tax paperwork from H&R Block and all original W-2s, I requested from the IRS my tax transcripts and my W-2 statements that they will provide also. It takes a bit longer (a week or two) to get both requests filled, but they did and will arrive as requested.

In my "kitchen sink" I now have three years of tax transcripts, IRS W-2 statements and all original W-2's just in case.

Clayton

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)

Although I have saved my last three years of tax paperwork from H&R Block and all original W-2s, I requested from the IRS my tax transcripts and my W-2 statements that they will provide also. It takes a bit longer (a week or two) to get both requests filled, but they did and will arrive as requested.

In my "kitchen sink" I now have three years of tax transcripts, IRS W-2 statements and all original W-2's just in case.

Clayton

Good for you buddy....mind if I "borrow" your '05 and '06 W-2's?...just for a couple of hours on the 19th?

Hope this does not become an issue for me, but it is all legit, didn't "draw" a regular paycheck, and my accountant just looked at each year and had me pay distribution/income taxes accordingly. No W-2's were ever generated.

I had given Ping my original W-2 and copies of my tax returns for the last three years. All GUZ took were my three W-2s and 2006 Tax return. I did not really want them to keep my W-2, since i thought i might need them for my AOS. I will find more for the AOS now, I think i have another. It seems that the W-2s were more important for me situation.

I had given Ping my original W-2 and copies of my tax returns for the last three years. All GUZ took were my three W-2s and 2006 Tax return. I did not really want them to keep my W-2, since i thought i might need them for my AOS. I will find more for the AOS now, I think i have another. It seems that the W-2s were more important for me situation.

I sent my SO the IRS transcripts under advice for a few CFL memebers!! :)

Anyone else ever NOT have all 3 years W-2's? My home-based company never generated, nor did I draw enough for last 2 years to justify a formal payroll. Accountant saw no need for it either.

As we have said many times here. Everyone's situation is different. I work at large companies and W-2s show my pay very well. If your small business had the money coming in on another line of the tax form than maybe the tax forms are more important.

Anyone else ever NOT have all 3 years W-2's? My home-based company never generated, nor did I draw enough for last 2 years to justify a formal payroll. Accountant saw no need for it either.

As we have said many times here. Everyone's situation is different. I work at large companies and W-2s show my pay very well. If your small business had the money coming in on another line of the tax form than maybe the tax forms are more important.

I apologize for asking, and I have actually posted this before, but recent interviews seem to be emphasizing W-2's and needed to hear advice from the "experts" once more! Thank you, as always. : )

Guest Rob & Jin

I apologize for asking, and I have actually posted this before, but recent interviews seem to be emphasizing W-2's and needed to hear advice from the "experts" once more! Thank you, as always. : )

Jin has W-2's, returns , transcripts, pay stubs for the last 3 years and a letter explaining joint filings from previous marriage, once we get P-3 next year she will get all the same for 2007, plus letter from employer.