My congresswoman's office

I've been talking and emailing with a person at my local congresswoman's office (Rep. Barbara Lee) and am feeling less than confident in this person's ability to help me.

Each time I've talked with him it's as if he doesn't remember what's going on. He says things like, "There is a new visa called a 'K-3' that should help to expidite..." "No!," I say, "Remember, I told you I filed that in January." Then he'll say, "When there's a security check going on there's not a lot our office can do."

Then my step-mother contacted her congressman and their office called Barbara Lee's office prompting another call to me, where again, he seemed clueless. He left me with a, "Well, we'll see what we can do."

Now, my mother has a friend of a friend who is friends with Sen. Diane Feinstein, who says they'll see if they can get something going.

What's annoying is, here's a issue that has enough meat on it to make a young congressional assistant's career take off! Bloated disfunctional government, the disrupted lives of young families... Hell, it's made for TV! :angry:

So, how in the world do you get these people to bite? Has anyone had any real luck here?

My two cents: forget Congressmen. Go for the Senators. If you know anyone who has a relationship with either of your Senators, have them intiate the relationship. You will be handed off to one of the staffers - somebody who specializes in immigration issues. Be persistent - these folks are overwhelmed just like everybody else in the process. Some Senators can get things moving, some can't or won't, but I do not think it has hurt me in any way that Senator Dodd made inquiries as to my status. And yes, you may need to explain things to them very clearly. When I first contacted them, they simply didn't believe that anyone was waiting more than 6-8 months for a visa. I also found that one Senator's staffer was far more knowledgeable than the other. I think your option of getting Sen. Feinstein to help is your best bet.

Dave

I've been talking and emailing with a person at my local congresswoman's office (Rep. Barbara Lee) and am feeling less than confident in this person's ability to help me.

Each time I've talked with him it's as if he doesn't remember what's going on.  He says things like, "There is a new visa called a 'K-3' that should help to expidite..."  "No!," I say, "Remember, I told you I filed that in January."  Then he'll say, "When there's a security check going on there's not a lot our office can do."

Then my step-mother contacted her congressman and their office called Barbara Lee's office prompting another call to me, where again, he seemed clueless.  He left me with a, "Well, we'll see what we can do." 

Now, my mother has a friend of a friend who is friends with Sen. Diane Feinstein, who says they'll see if they can get something going.

What's annoying is, here's a issue that has enough meat on it to make a young congressional assistant's career take off!  Bloated disfunctional government, the disrupted lives of young families...  Hell, it's made for TV!  :lol:

So, how in the world do you get these people to bite?  Has anyone had any real luck here?

I have contacted Sen Dianne Feintein three months ago.

But she is not willing to help.Here's the letter from her .

Dear Mr. xxx

Thank you for writing to me about the pending application for you fianc¨¦e¡¯s visa. I appreciate you letter and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Unfortunately, I am unable to assist you in this matter, During this heightened state of security, the Bureau Of Consular Affairs in the State Department and the immigration and Naturalization Service are stepping up the screening and background checks on all immigrant and non-immigrant visa application .I understand the frustration you are experiencing because of the extended wait and, while may initially be inconvenient this step will the federal government enhance our nation¡¯s security and safety of our visitors

Again, thank you for writing and entrusting me with your pressing concern

Obtaining a visa is a difficult and complex process. I am sorry I cannot do more to assist you and hope will write to me again if you encounter a problem with other federal agency.

Maybe Di Fi (as we used to call her around these parts...SF) will be more sympathetic to a married couple, expecting their first child, wanting to get to an American obstetrician ASAP.

None-the-less that letter sounds very discouraging.... :lol:

This was exactly the response that I got from my Congressman. His staffer went so far as to tell me that I could expect to wait up to two years or more - complete BS. Moreover, the security checks are not the problem for many people. (unless you are one of the unlucky on-hold group). the problem is the lack of staffing at GZ where our petition sat and waited for processing for about 5 months of the ten that this process took. At GZ you are competing for attention with thousands of others - students, business, tourists, family visas, etc. Everybody is complaining.

Anyway, if one Senator doesn't work out, try the other. keep trying until someone helps you. Go to the press. Yours is a compelling story - pregnant wife trapped by side effects of 9-11, SARS, etc.

Just my thoughts,

Dave

From my experience, I tried to deal and I dealt "directly" with my Congressman. I faxed my requests to his direct fax number in D.C., and not to his local office. His staff at the local office will just give you the runaround and send you a pre-prepared letter with a stamped signature. I believe he contributed somewhat to my fiancee getting her visa.

For California, the two female Senators are useless. It is true that Sen. Di is anti-immigration, and Sen. Boxer is invisible. Also, the Senators are higher up in the food chain and could care less about their state constituents. So, the Congressmen would be more "concerned" about their local constituents.

When I was actually inside the GZ Consulate, I did not see a "lack of staffing". Even when I was waiting outside, I saw many clerks going to work. The problem is not a lack of staffing at GZ, that is untrue based on my empirical obersavation when I was inside and outside the Consulate for 5 days. It is true that petitions sit and age and are "forgotten". I have advised people to contact GZ by telephone if they want to see progress on their cases. Remember, GZ has your petitions, and who handles them? The clerks over there, so contact them. There was a stretch of 2 weeks, in which I called GZ everyday until I got through, I wasn't successful everyday, but I firmly believe that it moved my case tremendously. I also contacted the Congressman through his direct contact numbers.

Go to the heart of the problem, bypass the outsiders.

My .02, keep persisting.