China Eastern Airlines & DHL

Does anyone have a number for China Eastern that I can call to reserve a seat? My ticket was purchased in China. The travel agent said he is not able to reserve a specific seat, I like window seats, and that I would have to call C.E. here in the states to do this. I can't find a number for them.

Also, does anyone have any experience in shipping stuff to China? I want to ship some of my cloths and my PC. Is this possible? I was thinking of using DHL since they have experience with all the paperwork and stuff. I will send this all to the attention of my wife due to some of the regulations.

Thanks,

-Tim

hi, about the number of China Eastern, I think you can check from INtrnet or tell your gal to check by 114 here in china. 114 is a phone number checking center in China. Each city has itself's 114 station. For example, if you want to check China Eastern Beijing company's number, you can call 010-114, then ask the liner about where number you want to know. They will tell you. But I think you need your gal to do it because the liner doesn't speak English.

About shipping, I think it's possible. Usually shipping is done between company and company. But person itself can also do it now. You need to clear the custom by yourself. About the details of this information, you need to check with the shipping company. They will tell you what to do. You just tell them you want to ship some stuffs to China for yourself, then they will let you know what to do next.

Professor Sarah :lol:

hi, about the number of China Eastern, I think you can check from INtrnet or tell your gal to check by 114 here in china. 114 is a phone number checking center in China. Each city has itself's 114 station. For example, if you want to check China Eastern Beijing company's number, you can call 010-114, then ask the liner about where number you want to know. They will tell you. But I think you need your gal to do it because the liner doesn't speak English.

Oops, this part, I mean in China you can check in this way. In USA, from my point of view, there can be two ways: one is by internet, one is by telling your gal to ask from Beijing or shanghai China eastern company, usually they should know their american branch's number.

Good luck!

Sarah, oh, professor Sarah :lol:

Apparently it doesn't matter what airline it is. In China you can't reserve a particular seat. I just went through that with our tickets. We are flying Korean Air and the agent here insisted that it was not possible to reserve particular seats. Of course we couldn't pay by credit card either, so we had to pay the delivery guy in cash. :unsure:

Also, does anyone have any experience in shipping stuff to China? I want to ship some of my cloths and my PC. Is this possible? I was thinking of using DHL since they have experience with all the paperwork and stuff. I will send this all to the attention of my wife due to some of the regulations.

Thanks,

-Tim

I have sent 2 packages to my fiance in Shenzhen via DHL. However, I have sent small to medium size document boxes. I have not sent anything larger like you are talking about.

My experience with DHL has been great. For me it has been easy as I work for a world-wide company. I walk down the hall and had it to mailroom. They tell me how much and I write them a check.

No problem with an English version of the address. Both times it got there fine.

The most important thing ist to provide a phone number for the receipient of the package.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to roll the dice and hope I can get a good seat. I'm a tall guy and need a place where I can stretch out a bit.

DHL seems like the best route for me to go. I will send it to my wifes company address, she works for an American company over there and they do this kind of thing all the time, but I just don't know what the regulations are on shipping PCs.

I have a spiffy new laptop, but my desktop has all my work on it as well as my Db server and web server, a few flavors of Winderz and Linux as well. I just don't want to get over there and have to buy and rebuild this beast :D

Lastly, can anyone suggest a good power converter for my laptop? Can I buy something that just plugs into the outlet and steps the voltage down a bit or do I have to get a whole new power adapter for the lap top?

1, DHL seems like the best route for me to go.

2, but I just don't know what the regulations are on shipping PCs.

3, Can I buy something that just plugs into the outlet and steps the voltage down a bit or do I have to get a whole new power adapter for the lap top?

Hi, Tim:

1, you can do DHL, which is really convenient and safe and fast, but since your stuffs are big, you may be ready to pay an arm and a leg.

2, For shipping, the main step is you order a space for your stuffs. Then the shipping company will give you B/L, which is a piece of paper clarified with your name, the destination's name and the description of your stuffs, etc. ALso B/L will tell you when the ship leave the NY port and reach the CHinese port. Then with this piece of paper you can pick up your stuff when the ship reaches here. Usually from USA to China, it will take aroud one month. About details, I recommend you to contact the shipping company, dont worry about the trivial steps, because in every step , there will be somebody telling you.

3, why do you do this? You are afraid Chnese voltage is different with American's? If so, I dont think you need to do any change. All I have seen, the laptop can work the same here and there. I think laptop itself has the ability to adjust, especially for some good ones, like sony, etc. They themselves have the aductsing system.

Sarah

If you have anything substanstial that you want to ship to China then you can check out the yellow pages for moving companies and check with the major companies to see which ones will do overseas shipping.

In the Links and Resources forum is a listing: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....f82821b9a23fc5a

China is indeed 220 Volt electricity and 50 cycle. US is 110 volt and 60 cycle. Some of the newer electronic equipment will automatically switch and work fine in either place, but don't try it without a converter unless you are sure it will work. Check the owners manual or read the ratings on the back. If you don't know what you are reading, then get the help of someone who does. The 50/60 cycle difference rarely is important. A few things like electric clocks may use the cycle rate for timing.

I fried the recharger for batteries after a year and a half because I forgot and plugged it directly into the wall.

Do you have a boarding pass already in hand? If not...you do not have to book a ticket especially by window. Just tell people to get you a seat by window when you check in to get your boarding pass at an airport. Sometimes theywould ask you if you want a seat by window or not. But you have to check in early.

Going to live in China? welcome and wish you the best :ph34r: