We have changed our minds

With 7 weeks to go before the final interview, we have decided to abandon the process and stay in China indefinitely/permanently.

The more we thought about it, the more we couldn't come up with any really logical reason to continue. In the beginning, my business was based in the USA. But in order to have some semblance of a marriage, I was forced to move here is March to wait this idiotic process out to the end.

After firing almost everyone and realigning my business to be basically an export business, it would be pretty stupid to return to the United States. Instead, its more likely that I will keep the house I just bought in Nanjing and rent it out as an investment and start looking for a place in Hong Kong, Shenzen or Guangzhou.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help through the process we went through to get to this point. Although I have to advise people that you can get to the interview sooner or later with careful reading of the forms and not making mistakes.

How the interview goes, I have no idea and probably never will.

That said, other than telling you to read carefully, I can't imagine I could be useful to people on the board. So, I think this is it for me.

So long.

Jim

With 7 weeks to go before the final interview, we have decided to abandon the process and stay in China indefinitely/permanently.

The more we thought about it, the more we couldn't come up with any really logical reason to continue. In the beginning, my business was based in the USA. But in order to have some semblance of a marriage, I was forced to move here is March to wait this idiotic process out to the end.

After firing almost everyone and realigning my business to be basically an export business, it would be pretty stupid to return to the United States. Instead, its more likely that I will keep the house I just bought in Nanjing and rent it out as an investment and start looking for a place in Hong Kong, Shenzen or Guangzhou.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help through the process we went through to get to this point. Although I have to advise people that you can get to the interview sooner or later with careful reading of the forms and not making mistakes.

How the interview goes, I have no idea and probably never will.

That said, other than telling you to read carefully, I can't imagine I could be useful to people on the board. So, I think this is it for me.

So long.

Jim

Buddy, that's just a plain bad idea. Don't you want her to see your beautiful country, your family, your favorite restaurants/tourist sites/etc? You already went through the long haul, so I think you should finish it off. Equally important, doesn't SHE want to see and experience all those things with you?

good luck with whatever you choose.

Hate to see you go Jim. I've enjoyed your input and perspective especially on business, and life in China.

Being an entrepreneur (house renovator and flipper currently) I often think of living in China and just running back to Uncle Samville for a couple of months to fix up the next flipper, as my realtor has power of attorney on me and even bought one of my houses for me while I was sitting on the beach in Kauai waiting for the sun to rise on the horizon.

But I want my girlfriend to travel with me so we need this dang visa to keep all options open. That, and the fact that she constantly tells me how unsafe I would be in her city.

Like, probably half the people on here, I'm intrigued by exporting to America and my girlfriend really likes the idea and can't wait to get here to see if she can find any possibilities.

If I may be so bold...you're a smart guy Jim, we could use your input here. And hell, if you're only 7 weeks away from expanding and opening up new options (the visa and her AOS) of traveling with your girlfriend, why stop now? You can always live in the states a couple of months out of the year, and on paper can't ya?

I'm with you and I personally hate the jumping through hoops and uncertainty of the interview, and I'm not tied to Uncle Samville, but I sure love my girlfriend and love wide open options. Besides, my feet get itchy and while I hate them damn worn out 747's I sure like to go on walkabout's in Australia and tiki tours in New Zealand with my Aussie and Kiwi friends, and I want my girlfriend/wife by my side as we laugh our way through life.

I didn't mean for this to get long and involved on your thread Jim and I understand your decision on the one hand....if you leave CFL, let me say, I'll be in Guangzhou from July 18th through the 29th or so. Maybe we could meet for a couple of hours if your interested? I'll be the yank in the King Gee shorts and flip flops, under the Aussie hat.

Good luck to ya,

tsap seui

Like others have said, finish the process! What if you change your

mind in a few years? Want to go through all this again?

You have the financial means to do as you wish and thats a great

thing, stick it out a little longer and cover all your bases. You have

nothing to loose.

What ever you decide, all the best.

Just keep posting :D

Sounds like you can have the best of both worlds to me. I would let this simmer for a bit and then decide. Don't know the thought process you've been through but it seems you've weighed the pros n cons. Maybe you're missing some of the pros of being a U.S. permanent resident.

Good Luck either way and keep on this board from time to time.

Sounds like you can have the best of both worlds to me. I would let this simmer for a bit and then decide. Don't know the thought process you've been through but it seems you've weighed the pros n cons. Maybe you're missing some of the pros of being a U.S. permanent resident.

Good Luck either way and keep on this board from time to time.

I'll be the first to say it. Jim is far too shrewd and practical to have not thought through every ramification of this decision. I'd imagine it's with purpose in mind that he does not want to continue with the process and get a GC for his wife. :)