What is China thinking?????

Last night I tried to send some money by Western Union. It was rejected because, according to Western Union, China implemented a new policy limiting daily transfers to $500 with a calendar month maximum of $1000. These are limits on the amount of money that can be sent TO China!

I have no idea why they would impose such limits on inflows.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NoNONONONO. you got it all wrong. you see. it's U.S's POLICY. not China's. because of the large amount of money were being transfer via western union over the years by many of the chinese immigrants in the U.S. recently U.S governement force western union to limit its customer to send only 1000 dollars per month. and only once a month according to the new anti-terrorist act, also know as the patriact act. this was big news here in New York City because of the large number of new immigrants from China.

NoNONONONO. you got it all wrong. you see. it's U.S's POLICY. not China's. because of the large amount of money were being transfer via western union over the years by many of the chinese immigrants in the U.S. recently U.S governement force western union to limit its customer to send only 1000 dollars per month. and only once a month according to the new anti-terrorist act, also know as the patriact act. this was big news here in New York City because of the large number of new immigrants from China.

This really makes one wonder which government is now more totalitariain. I am apalled at the actions of our current administration and what saddens me most is that they are driving through their own political, social, and economic agenda in the name of patriotism and national security. Party politics aside, I can safely say that ours is a far different country than the one I left five years ago. I am truly grieved over the changes that have come about. The current visa mess is but one example. :D

you've got my vote! damn it we in a war and we can't even see who's the enemy. and Bush want the middle class people to pick up the cost. I live in New York. I can't find a decent job. and now the tax just increased. the fare had just increased. and I am fear of being killed in the street either by the terrorists or the armed police whose only interest is giving nonsense tickets and shoot innocent civilians.

Guest R2D2

Bingo!!! I believe they have finally got it! Let's ask about Asa Hutchinson and John Ashcroft's affiliation with Bob Jones U! Don't, however, get picked up by law enforcement. You might not be charged with a crime nor entitled to an attorney. You might not be heard of again!!!! We can always hide in a hole in Nebraska if things get bad. Oh, I forgot! That has already been done by our leader!! Don't ask for your Miranda rights. That has recently been thrown out and torture is allowed to allicit information. This is the new cultural revolution! Get used to it. Many want it and love it. Foriegn diplomacy is war. I used to think the breakdown of foreign diplomacy was war. I need reeducation!!! :blink: :blink:

Guest R2D2

I am old enough to remember that if a country whose letter started with C jailed suspects and did not charge them with a crime nor allow them an attorney or trial, America would be crying up a storm. Seems the constitution is only for the well endowed today. At least with this tax break, those that have children will be given a 1,000 write off. Oh, there I go again! That does not pertain to the lower income families!!!!

Aloha from Hawaii,

The restrictions on money orders are for the purpose of tracking the transfer of

money to possible terrorists. The way to make a legal transfer of larger sums

of money is by electronic bank transfers. This is how legal business is done.

Just have your bank send the money to the Chinese bank account.

Myles aka Annakuen'GG

Myles,

I agree that you can use a bank wire transfer to send any sum of money. However, it is not and never has been illegal to send less than $10,000 by other means as well. It's actually legal to deal in cash above $10,000 - you just have to report it.

Bank wire transfers can take up to two weeks when sending to China. Western Union takes five minutes.

Again, I understand the motivation but am just trying to straighten out the details. This policy will NOT stop any illegal activity. I know how the bad guys transfer money. I once consulted on a project to help stop them.

There was never anything wrong with the way I transferred it before. This is truly just a hassle rule. It will, however, add to Western Union's fees.

I don't play a banker on television but I am one in real life :blink:

Well, I think $1000 a month should be ample. I am glad our govt regulates the outflow of our money. I am uneasy that so much of our money is in the hands of foriegn citizens and countries. It is easy for Saudi Arabia to manipulate our money if they desire.

I do not see any totaltarian scheme here, just good sense. We all know that millions were being sent to help terrorists.

Now, I just hope the same restrictions apply to all countries.

Well, I think $1000 a month should be ample.  I am glad our govt regulates the outflow of our money.  I am uneasy that so much of our money is in the hands of foriegn citizens and countries.  It is easy for Saudi Arabia to manipulate our money if they desire.

I do not see any totaltarian scheme here, just good sense.  We all know that millions were being sent to help terrorists. 

:o :blink: :blink:

Well, I think $1000 a month should be ample.  I am glad our govt regulates the outflow of our money.  I am uneasy that so much of our money is in the hands of foriegn citizens and countries.  It is easy for Saudi Arabia to manipulate our money if they desire.

I do not see any totaltarian scheme here, just good sense.  We all know that millions were being sent to help terrorists. 

What are we left with when we lose our freedom in order to preserve it.

Every time you buy a foreign good or service, "our" money flows out of the country without regulation? Any problem with that? Should the government restrict what we can buy and whom we can buy it from?

In any case, the ONLY reason I am sending money out is because the GOVERNMENT has been sitting on their hands for A YEAR! I would gladly keep all the money right here as soon as they issue a visa. :blink:

I am old enough to remember that if a country whose letter started with C jailed suspects and did not charge them with a crime nor allow them an attorney or  trial, America would be crying up a storm. Seems the constitution is only for the well endowed today. At least with this tax break, those that have children will be given a 1,000 write off. Oh, there I go again! That does not pertain to the lower income families!!!!

True, this tax cut is out-rageous, one restriction I heard over the news is that you have to have an income more than 26,000 last year in order to get a refund for your child...what about those being laid off and have a family to support ?