Yesterday, June 22, marked 2 years since I first got off of a plane in LA with my young bride fresh from her successful interview and setting her foot for the first time on American soil. As it seems so long ago, I can still remember every day vividly. The ups, and downs. The last minute stress and worry.

The whole time in GZ, I took a total of 12 pictures. Not much time to play tourist. It was a lot of work.

Now, as a USC, you very well know that the interview itself, I was not at, and all of the other parts to the visa puzzle can and often do get handle by the Chinese SO on thier own with the USC waiting at home for news. So comes the question, why go?

I'm sure those who have been can add to this list, but for starters, here is why I went, would do it all again, and why I reccomend to anyone considering this to just go.

First, the moral support. In our case, it was helpful for Jen to know I was there with her and could help if anything happened.

2nd, the fact I was there allowed to make that known to the consulate. Whether or not that played into Jen's visa? Who knows, but it still felt as a plus to us.

3rd, the ability to pick up household items. We did a lot of shopping. It was a good bonding experience finding those little things for a good price including the wedding gown Jen wore. Absolutly stunning ad at $95 US, I defy anyone to pull that off here in the states.

4th, a good excuse to see another part of China. Jen is from the north, we met in Shanghai, Guangzhou is quite a different place. What's better than taking the time to see another part of China?

And finally, just look at my first 2 lines. I remember every part. Most of all, the look on Jen's face as she walked out of the embassy with that pink slip. Sharing the news here on CFL and with family. 2 days later picking up the visa and finishing our stay knowing we will be leaving for home together. :clapping: And of course, leaning over and kissing my bride's cheek and saying,"Welcome to America" as the plane's wheels touch down.

As you get closer, there are a thousand reasons why you would not go over for the interview, but at least IMO, the few reasons why you should, far out weigh the reasons not to. By all means, talk with your SO about it, but, if you can, by all means, do. The memories will be priceless.

Feathers, with all due respect, let me present the other side of the coin.

I guess, if you get a pink slip, then you can justify the trip by saying, "Yea, I'm glad I came, just look, she got her pink slip; wow, am I ever glad I'm here with her." Then, you can both enjoy that special time together. I have no argument with that.

On the other hand, if you get a blueslip, you can share the devastation with each other, but somehow that's not the same. She could have done that on her own and saved a couple thousand. My being there only helped in that I assured her that we would overcome the blueslip and to not worry about it. I could not do anything to help her get the pink slip. I was as powerless as she was. I even went to ACH and that did not help at all.

I guess I would have to say that it is a personal decision. If you feel you must be there with her, no matter what, then go. I personally don't think that your being present there matters one bit. The decision to give a pink or blue has nothing to do with you being there.

I'm glad I was there for the reason I mentioned. I was there to comfort her. That is all I could do. :clapping:

That is a very valid point Ron,

I don't have details, but I do know of a couple of cases where the USC did get things turned around but it would be for others to give the details as I don't remember.

Sure, maybe my attitude would be different. I want to say, I would not change my thoughts on going if we had a different experience but I can't. Maybe others on both sides will add to this. After a denial, i couldn't imagine being anywhere else than holding Jen and trying ti convince her that we will get through this. But then getting on that plane for home without her would have been so hard to do.

Having been divorced twice...from my own mistakes as a younger man I can tell you this subject strikes me hard and deep. Ago I used my words as my actions with my ex-wives and it didn't work out very well...LOL..luckily for my girlfriend and I.

Now I full well understand that old saying "actions speak louder than words".

In life we have a few moments that are very important, happily or sadly, and long hours of mundane events. To me, the whole event of this visa process is in the "happily very important moments" category. I can't imagine not being in Guangzhou to help boost my girlfriend's confidence by helping her understand every aspect of this process, to help her study interview questions and prepare her paperwork, to show my extreme love for her, and to add deep strong bonds between us as we move on in our future relationship. My actions, of being in Guangzhou with my girlfriend and her son, will speak much LOUDER than any mere words of good luck, from afar, could ever speak for me.

And, I'll honestly tell you, as well as I have prepared this case with the entire kitchen sink (including all the blue slip evidence my research has shown me that a VO could ask for) we may well recieve a blue slip....and we both understand this ahead of time.

We both hope and prepared for the pink slip with a visa, but we both understand that when a VO can stand there and ask you for certain items, have you hand them over, and then give you a blue slip for evidence they NEVER asked for (that you may well have ready in your hand to give them) then there is no other logical and healthy way to look at the interview process as anything more than a one, two, or three part process.

I will be there in Guangzhou. My girlfriend will see my "actions" speaking volumes of the depth of my love for her.

Do I want to go to hot sweaty Guangzhou and spend lots of money getting four of us there? HELL NO!!! But I will, as this is one of life's events that I wouldn't miss for anything. This will increase the strength of the strong bonds between us more than anything I could ever say from afar...and believe you me, I ain't rich.

tsap seui

The above words are only the opinion and the way a chopped up veggie and noodle redneck looks at his love for his woman, and they need not apply for anyone else.

I'm going to have to speak up here, not to disagree with Feathers - I don't at all - but the overwhelming bias here on CFL is in favor of being there for the interview. There are also reasons why someone may not be there for the interview - it's a personal decision, like Ron says - and they don't need to feel like they're leaving their SO out in the lurch for it.

Using your vacation time and money to it's best benefit is a consideration - if saving your vacation time for the interview leaves a large gap in between visits, that won't necessarily look good. The typical "use it or lose it" vacation policy of American companies can make this hard to juggle. Maybe someone is especially confident in their SO's ability to handle the interview, and would rather save the vacation time for after the arrival.

You have to juggle the various factors and come up with what's best for you. Yes, being there for the interview is good, but not always the appropriate choice for everyone.

Using your vacation time and money to it's best benefit is a consideration - if saving your vacation time for the interview leaves a large gap in between visits, that won't necessarily look good. The typical "use it or lose it" vacation policy of American companies can make this hard to juggle. Maybe someone is especially confident in their SO's ability to handle the interview, and would rather save the vacation time for after the arrival.

This was my case. I had decided to use my vacation time for her arrival but you can bet your horse that I will be there for the next interview.

Guest Mike and Lily

I am going there mostly to support and encourage my SO. We know we have prepared for all contingencies, but we still may get a blue slip anyway. Yes, being there may improve her chances of passing, but it is my support for her during this difficult process that is driving me to be there during the interview.

Well, my opinion is most valid since my SO hasn't had her interview yet! :blink:

I think one should absolutely go if they can.

In my case, i simply can't, though I was just there for 23 days in May (her interview is in July 5) in which we had plenty of time to tie any loose knots and discuss things in person. She's fluent in English, and knows each paper inside and out just as I do, as we've been going over them together several times. I also created her what i call a Quick Facts sheet...just common data she might forget that morning when she's stressing out, eg, social security, addresses, family members names,etc. And, she will be accompanied by someone trustful/close.

So I don't feel like I'm leaving her out to dry at all, not that I think anyone's implying that people who don't go are. Just go if you can, and don't if you can't. Simple enough.. I'd love to be there no matter the outcome, even though it is nasty Guangdong province. yeek

Except for the emotional support to each other, and as Don pointed out...to share in the experience, I still think one's presence in Guangzhou, makes no difference in getting a pink or blue slip. I still hold to my opinion that the decision has been made by DOS as to pink, blue or white prior to the interview. It's all in the paperwork that is submitted before hand. I think the interview is a formality because of the varied ways they are conducted, I wasn't in China for her interview. Hers lasted less than a minute with only a comment from the VO about her hair. I have read others, that have lasted anywhere from five minutes to 40 minutes. Based on the daily long lines, the folks here on CFL are only a VERY small sampling of what happens at USCONGUZ and I have no idea as to the 'big picture" of the success/failure rate of those that had their spouse/fiance(e) present.

As, the people here have said, it's a personal choice based on factors that only you (and your spouse/fiance(e)) can decide on.

As aye,

Jim

I'm going for the interview, which will most likely be in September...we are 72 days from NVC shipped to GUZ, so we may not see P3 until July, if then.....pink, blue, it won't make any difference except for the extra time and expense if we get the blue slip....I've got the kitchen sink, we have a very simple case, so I am somewhat optimistic about getting pink on the first try...but you never know with GUZ.....I am going to the interview to support my SO, whom I love without question, and to show her (and her family) that her Lao Gong is always, always, there for her. Even if we get the blue, it would be time for a visit anyway....4 months apart feels like a lifetime when you are parted from the one you love. We both are excited to be approaching the endgame for the visa, but we also know we may have to jump through some additional "hoops".....we're "thinking pink", rehearsing, and double and triple checking everything. If we get the "blue", at least we can comfort each other in person, and put our heads down and submit whatever they ask for. The important thing to me, is being there for my lady. Everything else is secondary....she is always thinking of me, my comfort and my happiness, how can I do less in return?

This process has strengthened our committment...it's us against them, and we are determined to emerge the victors, no matter what it takes or how long. She is very confident, and her English is fairly good....I think we will do well at the interview.

Steve

I'm going for the interview, which will most likely be in September...we are 72 days from NVC shipped to GUZ, so we may not see P3 until July, if then.....pink, blue, it won't make any difference except for the extra time and expense if we get the blue slip....I've got the kitchen sink, we have a very simple case, so I am somewhat optimistic about getting pink on the first try...but you never know with GUZ.....I am going to the interview to support my SO, whom I love without question, and to show her (and her family) that her Lao Gong is always, always, there for her. Even if we get the blue, it would be time for a visit anyway....4 months apart feels like a lifetime when you are parted from the one you love. We both are excited to be approaching the endgame for the visa, but we also know we may have to jump through some additional "hoops".....we're "thinking pink", rehearsing, and double and triple checking everything. If we get the "blue", at least we can comfort each other in person, and put our heads down and submit whatever they ask for. The important thing to me, is being there for my lady. Everything else is secondary....she is always thinking of me, my comfort and my happiness, how can I do less in return?

This process has strengthened our committment...it's us against them, and we are determined to emerge the victors, no matter what it takes or how long. She is very confident, and her English is fairly good....I think we will do well at the interview.

Steve

Ya'll will do fine!

As aye,

Jim

The VO I talked to said it absolutely helps.

Now if you were there and still got a blue then there was a problem your visit didn't override or answer. On the other hand maybe some of those of us who got pink got the benefit of the doubt on a minor issue because of our presence.

We can all play this game forever. Everyone can just do whatever they want and guess what? Either way you'll probably get a pink or a blue. Go ahead and make up any reason you want to explain either. It won't change anything.

I went because Ling had never been so far away from home before and was very nervous. I don't care if GZ cared or not. Ling needed me.

Now if you were there and still got a blue then there was a problem your visit didn't override or answer. On the other hand maybe some of those of us who got pink got the benefit of the doubt on a minor issue because of our presence.

We can all play this game forever. Everyone can just do whatever they want and guess what? Either way you'll probably get a pink or a blue. Go ahead and make up any reason you want to explain either. It won't change anything.

I went because Ling had never been so far away from home before and was very nervous. I don't care if GZ cared or not. Ling needed me.

\

You know, I question that. Why? do they come outside and meet you? do they have you come in and show yourself? No to both as I understand it(correct me if i'm wrong ;-), so It's really BS I think that your VO said that. My SO culd easily say I'm standing outside in the 40c hell, but I'll really be in beautiful 18c weather, and the VO won't even know.

Guest Mike and Lily

\

You know, I question that. Why? do they come outside and meet you? do they have you come in and show yourself? No to both as I understand it(correct me if i'm wrong ;-), so It's really BS I think that your VO said that. My SO culd easily say I'm standing outside in the 40c hell, but I'll really be in beautiful 18c weather, and the VO won't even know.

Not if the VO sees the entry stamp on your passport without an exit stamp. Then they know! That is why you have your SO give both the passports to the VO!

I tend to believe that it does help.Reason? When I went to ACH the last thing the vo said to me was I will note in your file on the computer that you were here. I questioned him with ."why does that help"? He responded: It is good for the interviewing officer to know that you are here for the interview. If it did not carry any weight then why would they note in your file prior to the interview that you are there? I also tend to agree that unless there are pre-red flags showing that the interview might be a bit of formality. Reason? Again at ACH I asked some questions mainly just to justify my presence. After I was finished the officer asked if I had any more questions and I replied no. He then said that if any other questions arised before the interview that I could find the answers on their website but he also stated "but I don't see where that is neccesary as I don't see any problems and your case looks good. This is why I believe that some cases interviews are just a conclusion to the process. Hence, Limei's interview was only a couple of simple questions and she was given a pink slip. I believe that, is it a strike against you for not going to interview? No! Is it a positive point to be there? Yes!