1 last desparate question-

We received our Packet 4 some 2 weeks ago, but unfortunately there were no forms inside (ds-156; ds-157; ds-230; ds-156k). I went ahead and downloaded the ds-156 and ds-157 for her off the U.S. Consulate in Shanghai web site and the ds-230 and the ds-156k off the Dept. of State web site.

Now she is in Guangzhou and some are telling her these are not good enough and that she can fail because these are the wrong forms. Moreover, that there is some kind of scam between the folks outside and some of the workers inside. (true? not true?)

As you can tell from below we have been waiting for a LONG TIME! Do I need to be on the next plane to Guangzhou or is this needless worry? I am not worried about other documentation and have already been there several times.

Any advice will be welcome!

Thanks!!!!

My Time Line(K-1 visa):

March,26, 2002 - 1st NOA

April 24 , 2003 - 2nd NOA

August 1, 2002 - receiced package #3

August 14, 2003 - mailed package #3

Name Check cleared - May 9, 03

package #4 - May 18, 2003

Interview data - VERY early June, 2003

Visa received - ???

No forms inside???? Jeezzzz, what a foul up! I can't imagine how they could manage to send out a packet with no forms. ;)

I am really not sure as to whether the forms you downloaded are acceptable or not. I would expect that most of them are acceptable as they come from the same source. However, I recall way back when we received our Packet Four (almost a year ago now) there were several forms in there that were unique to GZ. One was something called the "Supplemental Information Sheet". No, wait, I think that one was in P-3. I think somewhere here on the board there is a listing of all the forms that are included in P-4 but I wouldn't know where to find it. Maybe one of the moderaters could help? :rolleyes: :D ;)

Guest duke

No surprise!!! This happened to me too! I had NOT received my P4 before I left US. This is what I did:

I sent them an email at <GuangzhouIV@state.gov> on May 7th, with my case number and interview day in it. And I got the following reply on May 8th.

>Dear Mr. Chen:

>If it's ok for you, pls come and pick up your packet at 9:00am on May

>12,

>2003. It not, pls let us know. It would be better if you inform us of

>your

>phone number.

>Thank you for your cooperation!

>Immigrant visa unit

I left U.S on May 9th, arrived in Guangzhou on May 11th. The second day I went to the consulate, showed the security guard the EMAIL, got permission to enter the consulate, and picked up my P4 from the tiny house outside the building. I had my interview on may 15th and come back to U.S the following week.

So DON'T panic, try all the methods you can think about to get a hold with the IV unit, email them, call them, or talk to the security guard directly(don't forget to bring your appointment letter and passport with you though, they are very rude)...

Good Luck!!

Only problem.... been there 3 times in the past year and I was not going for the interview. We had been working so hard to get the interview and then everything happened so quickly. Never really expectly this. Should have expected to meet Mr. Murphy :>

So, she is there trying to deal with it her herself....

I think there is a real issue with mail security inside China. Everything that sarah has mailed me has been opened.....

Dave

That's true! I have also received some letters with opening.

What I suggest is whether GZ can mail by EMS, and we can pay for it. EMS is fully called Express Mailing System. It is much safer because then the letter can be sent directly to the person itself.

Sarah

VIVI - what's the word on 001? You know I have trouble reading it! :P

You have trouble reading?? I will not take that..;) I noticed you could even make fun of us in Chinese using babelfish.. :o

Yes, most of the recent P4's were delivered by EMS but there are some exceptions (some did get it via snail post). While calling GZ the receptionists always confirm that nowadays they are sending P4 by EMS.

Some gals under the new NVC system reported they even received P3 via EMS. Isn't that amazing?? :(

BOB, the only problem with the solution of downloading 156,157, etc. is that the A4 paper size in China is slightly different than that in the states. If your MM can get some "American Paper" to print the forms on it will be all right. Even in the the worse scenerio: there are still those guys doing business outside the consulate who sell the forms at 20 -30 RMB each. Ask your MM to be careful to get the right forms though: From April 1, 2003, the photo requirement for NI visa applicants has been adjusted and this results in the change of form DK-156.

Should she have any problem, she can always seek help in Chinese on 001. Good luck!

La_Diva

Is it possible there is some kind of collusion between those people selling there visa services outside and workers inside?

Excuse me if this is a very rude or stupid question.

I have heard rumors to this effect in the past but I have no substantial evidence that this is true. However, that does not mean it isn't. :lol:

My advice: If at all possible, avoid dealing with the "businesses" outside the Consulate. The potential for rip-off and error is just too great.