When I was in China, most people didn't speak english. I often felt as a broken wheel. No one did anything to make me feel this way, except they spoke thier native tongue.

I felt bad that I didn't take the time and effort to learn the language more. Does anyone else feel this way sometimes?

Yep, sometimes felt like a stranger in a strange land, still everyone is quite friendly, and can cope with the language barrier.

I am always amazed with Yu and how she deals with being here and still learning English.

the one thing I did like about being so 'outside' of everything was that one can view everything in a detached way... as if watching a movie...

That's about the only up-side for me too. Not only in China, but with my circle of Chinese friends here who have limited English when they're all yaking away in an animated way. Having someone who can translate is a blessing though - without it, it will always be difficult not to be a loawei (an outsider).

i think that was one of the lines i used most while i was in china...

what he say....

what she say...

(everyone laughs)

hahaha......what he say

(everyone laughs)

hahaha.....what she say.

huh? :huh:

what...?? :blink:

Why don't you learn mandarin?

I am just a novice, but I try, and I get lots of credit for that.

Sometimes, I can even pick up a little of the conversation.

I hope one day to be able to only speak mandarin at home with my lao po.

If your so can learn english, certainly you can learn mandarin ?

Why don't you learn mandarin?

I am just a novice, but I try, and I get lots of credit for that.

Sometimes, I can even pick up a little of the conversation.

I hope one day to be able to only speak mandarin at home with my lao po.

I guess guys who wives or fiancees don't speak good english are at more of an advantage in this situation. I rememeber once having dim sum with frank and his wife and a few others from CFL here in Atlanta, Franks wife didn't know much english, and she probably felt like I described only in reverse, but I was impressed how Frank could speak Cantonese to his wife.

I know a little mandarin, but not nearly enough to hold a conversation or to allow someone to know me better. I do have the Pimlusur CD's, but i haven't utilized them enough, probably why I feel a little bad sometimes. I hope to learn some more for the next time I go to China, but I probably won't return for a while.

My wife on the other hand, I'm proud of. She has really taught herself english. She does quite well. She is learning English english, as in the UK language, there are differences. Sometimes my wife will say something and it is not proper in american english, I have told her, when I tell her something and it conflicts with what she has learned in her "english" books, I've instructed her to defer to what I say...I'm usually right in the majority.... certain words we simply don't use in American english that are common in the UK english. Still, I'm proud of her :P She is a Guangxi girl, so she speaks Cantonese, buts speaks Mandarin as well.

Lao Po has been very helpful to to others in her city with assisting them with translation. Currently she is in Nanning hlpinga friend communicate with a man from Austrailia. They were going to get married yesterday, but his papers weren't in order, so the will go back to Nanning next week and try again.

She still has a long way to go, but if I could speak chinese like she speaks english, i would be very hapy with myself.

Not at the same time

This is true, just keeping on top of Yanlans learning is a lot!! I don't want to try to learn Mandarin just yet, doing the decipher of her broken and backwards English is enough work!! :P :P :P :P

Well I thought this was another topic on my wife's favorite word. Today it was the HOT temperature in Beijing that made her sooo UNCOMFORTABLE :roller:

You would have to know her to understand the humor.

I felt the way your posting with my wife when we met up with 2 old college classmate of hers. Wife does not bother to tell me what the conversation is about every now and then like our rep in China does. My rep over there can gage about when I am getting bored or left out. Of course most of the time I just don't know what they are saying and don't worry. But my wife did make me feel uncomfortable at times by not cluing me in. Probably logically assumed since there was no information for me then why say anything. Oh well...... :huh: :unsure:

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)

One of my wifes biggest worries was me fitting in during my trips

to visit her. Even though her English wasn't as good as it is now,

she always made sure to translate when we were out with family or

friends. Sometimes I think she just liked seeing the expression on her

friends faces when she would speak English with me :lol: .

She has made friends through her ESL classes and when we go out together I think I feel more uncomfortable now then when I was in

China. At times, she will ramble on, oblivious that I'm even even

there! I know having friends to talk with here is very important so

of course I don't mind. I'm just glad that her friends husband speaks

very good English and when he sees that I'm being left out of the conversation for too long, he will speak with me only in English and

he will not translate for his wife :P ! He will say "Just listen, and

learn your English" :lol: Of course they just laugh and go on talking.

Good people, good times :lol:

My wife on the other hand, I'm proud of. She has really taught herself english. She does quite well. She is learning English english, as in the UK language, there are differences. Sometimes my wife will say something and it is not proper in american english, I have told her, when I tell her something and it conflicts with what she has learned in her "english" books, I've instructed her to defer to what I say...I'm usually right in the majority.... certain words we simply don't use in American english that are common in the UK english. Still, I'm proud of her :lol:
I also got confused with British English and American English. We call an apartment a flat and I was told in California they also call an apartment a flat but only after earthquake :lol: , in this case we call it "double flat". :P Why a phone is engaged? cuz one phone gave another phone a ring :lol: . How to get a rest in a restroom? English is really a confusing language. Edited by SmilingAsia (see edit history)

Not at the same time

This is true, just keeping on top of Yanlans learning is a lot!! I don't want to try to learn Mandarin just yet, doing the decipher of her broken and backwards English is enough work!! :lol: :lol: :P :P

There is no english in my household. My stepdaughter seems to be scared to speak english and my wife's english is sometimes unbearable. So I live in a world of mandarin. God help this poor country boy! :lol: