Reflecting on the process up to this point

Hi all,

with my good news yesterday still fresh in mind, I thought I share a few thoughts that have been bouncing around in my head....

1. Even though our timeline is far better than many who came before us, especially the black-holers, this process is still way too long. It took the government 9 months to determine if my fiance was a terrorist or not. That is not right. Especially the entire "we going to check you because you're from China but not quickly because you're not really a threat!" Aargh!

2. I really hate the way that these petitions are done in no particular order. I was fustrated by those who started after us and "got ahead" and feel guilty about those who started before us and are still "pending."

3. Thank God for PJ who still maintains this site. I hope he will let some of us "chip in" now that he is trying to save for a trip to China.

4. I hope that in the future more folks will have a blessed timeline like that of ChinaRose. That timeline is exactly the way it should work.

5. I resent the fact that so much precious time is wasted because inadequate staffing is in place. We are just not a priority.

6. I also resent the fact that those who are well-connected, rich or seven feet tall (Yao) can negotiate this process without waiting their turn. I know- I am very idealistic.....

7. Most Americans out there have no idea that this is going on. Whenever I stop to explain that my fiance isn't here yet, people always assume that we are having trouble with the Chinese government. They are genuinely shocked to discover that it's the USA that is holding us up.

8. I look foward to the evolution of this site into a support group for Chinese-American couples. Let's find a way to keep it going.

9. I can't imagine these last four month without all the support that I received here. So many questions - or just venting - thank you all.

10. Lastly, thank God for my fiance, who has remained steadfast, optimistic and loving throughout this entire time.

Dave

Guest berni&fang

hi, Dave and chinarose

congratulations!

i have a question: there are so many discussions about the common name will last long time to get the namecheck cleared, sine you guys are very luck , almost are the most quick one here, so would you mind to tell me chinarose's name, or does she have a common name?

i know my name is very common, worried!!

thanks! :D :redblob: :redblob:

Guest berni&fang
Hi - I don't know ChinaRose's name - maybe pm her and she can tell you. I can tell you that my fiance's Chinese  name is very uncommon. Maybe it helped - who knows?

Dave

thanks a lot! :D

Thanks for your thoughts Dave. They are well-stated and right on the money. It is also my hope that this board will continue to thrive and evolve to meet the needs of members. It has been a blessing to so many of us.

7. Most Americans out there have no idea that this is going on. Whenever I stop to explain that my fiance isn't here yet, people always assume that we are having trouble with the Chinese government. They are genuinely shocked to discover that it's the USA that is holding us up.

As CFL evolves, its primary goals should consider this point and strive for public awareness of the truth. Whenever the truth is finally public knowledge, the government will be inclined to reform.

so would you mind to tell me chinarose's name, or does she have a common name?

I want to help you, but I don't want to put my name out on the Internet for everyone to see. And I don't think knowing my name will benefit you much. But I will tell you this. My name is a very common name in China, especially during the cultural revolution.

I love your photos at your web site. And I wish you the very, very best!

Double happiness!

Rose

:)

hi, Dave and chinarose

congratulations!

???? cute Berni&Fang, I am the fiance of Chinadave :) :V: Anyway, I think Chinarose is good luck to have her processing that fast :) And I hope good luck with yours:) I also heard that uncommon name would help the speed for processing. As my fiance told you, my name is kinda very uncommon B) But I'm not sure whether it helps because our processing takes long time.

Even when you are venting you still somehow maintain a sense of rationality and hopefulness that is a good example for others.

I do not see how having a common or an unusual Chinese name could make any difference since there are no Chinese terrorists anyway so how could any name generate a hit?

I do not see how having a common or an unusual Chinese name could make any difference since there are no Chinese terrorists anyway so how could any name generate a hit?

Exactly. The decision to include China on "the list" is honestly a mystery to me.

Dave

I agree completely Dave. It makes no sense and, when Owen and I met with Richard Adams back in February, he agreed that no one really thought the Chinese were terrorists. <_<

As to the namecheck "hits", the article posted by Tony in another thread (a few days ago) mentioned that the IBIS namecheck provides hits not only on terrorists but any kind of criminal activity that is in the data base. This increases the liklihood of "hits" due to a common name. The article went on to point out that the namechecks were based on not only name, but birthdate as well. So this reduces the chances of an erroneous hit. The whole thing baffles me however. :wacko:

They would have us believe that the IBIS system has info in its data base pertaining to matters that are considered crimes in China? Like if someone with your fiancee's name (and names are not gender specific in China) is caught selling fake artifacts in Xian or operating an illegal taxi in Urumqi then you are going to have to wait an extra several months for your sweet lady's name check while Big Brother makes sure it was not her who did this? Heaven forbid if the criminal had the same birthday!

I was not aware that the American crime information gathering capacity was such that they were capable of gathering and translating tens of millions of bits of information about daily happenings worldwide and inputting this into the awesome IBIS system, which must have computers about the size of the pyramids to hold all this. Next on the government's list of projects will be the Dream Police.

I think it's a giant case of CYA. Nobody wants to be the one who lets in the next terrorist - better to check everyone no matter what delays it causes. Just today there was an article on how the Democrats are accusing the Bush administration of being "soft" on issues of homeland security. So now they will all try to prove that they are the ones who can really make us safe. We are caught in the middle....

Dave

Robert S. I do not believe that any of the name checks the USA does involves anything in China. It is purely a check of records here. Crimes committed in China are covered with the Police reports from the places of residence in China.

When the fingerprint ID system is completely in place, I would think that the consulate could take fingerprints and do an immeditate check. Colorado now requires fingerprints for a DL and it took all of 1 minute for them to check each of us.

As a black holer, my biggest disappointment was that no one in the line of command in doing the checks took it upon themselves to see if there really was a problem when we all started complaining. I think Ms. Harty has made it plain that we just got lost.