I have accent

I don't know where you live Sawadee but here in SoCal our company sponsors accent lessons for some of our foreign employees. The person who teaches the course comes from Hollywood where she works with the movie industry. A week or two with her works wonders.

Perhaps you can find such a coach in your area.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken is right and I will add my 2 cents worth. It took me 5 years to totally loose the British accent and the younger you are the less time it will take. I remember in ninth grade, I was stuck in ESL for 4 months and the first thing the teacher told us was when people speak, pay close attention to the lips and tongue. She also said the best way is to watch news on TV. The whole year spent in a boarding school helped a lot too since it was all English from the minutes I woke up, to the minute I went to bed. Besides, there were a total of 8 Chinese students and we were allowed to speak English only. And you know you will be doing fine by the time you start dreaming and thinking in English. Last but not least, keep all Chinese contact to a minimum. In my case, call home only once a month but hey, long distance charge back then was over $3 per minute.

There is nothing to add here except to tell you that many people may enjoy your accent .

It can be an asset for you because it is different and peole will tend to remember you .

Here in the South some ladies who are born and raised in Georgia or Texas have an accent that is so thick that it is difficult to understand them ,

and Example is the words all and OIL ! I swear that I can not tell one from another

my wifes cousin who is studying in australia has that australian twang mixed with her chinese accent.

makes her very unique :P

i tell my wife all the time when she tries to say world or towel...

or anything with a W mixed with an L

try not to loose her chinese accent...

GOD i love her!!

:ph34r: :D

I was told my Chinese accent sexy. I'm comfortable with my southern Chinese accent.

When I see movies, I always feel Italian accent sexy.

When I saw movies of WW II, I always think it funny when American soldiers mocked British accent.

I think accent makes a language colorful :unsure:

The OP said ....

I am frustrated for my English accent. In university, when I was studing English, I picked the British accent, it was more than 10 years ago. After I started to talk to my husband, I was more and less influenced by American accent, mixed with some Asian accent sometimes.

So my accent is a good mixture of British, Asian and American accent, and not alway in a correct way.

I am not satisfied with my accent cause sometimes I have difficulty to pronounce a word correctly to make people understand well.

I dont know how to solve this problem, I have been thinking a solution very hard. I am wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions?

and almost all the posts are saying keep your accent, it's great, cute, what ever.

Sawadee was looking for suggestions as to how lessen or eliminate her accent, not for affirmation that is was OK.

Sigh ...

I am frustrated for my English accent. In university, when I was studing English, I picked the British accent, it was more than 10 years ago. After I started to talk to my husband, I was more and less influenced by American accent, mixed with some Asian accent sometimes.

So my accent is a good mixture of British, Asian and American accent, and not alway in a correct way.

I am not satisfied with my accent cause sometimes I have difficulty to pronounce a word correctly to make people understand well.

I dont know how to solve this problem, I have been thinking a solution very hard. I am wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions?

Just get your husband to sit down with you for 30 minutes every day and read out loud to him and let him correct you on the words he has the most trouble understanding.

Just get your husband to sit down with you for 30 minutes every day and read out loud to him and let him correct you on the words he has the most trouble understanding.

That's good advice. Some words are very easy to understand no matter how heavy your accent. Others are harder to distinguish from another word that sounds similar, unless the pronunciation is exact.

Let your husband help you there.

When I was a soldier we sill mocked the British. :D

It's very funny American soldiers mocked the accent of British officers -- the tune is very high :D :P :blink:

I think you have to make up your mind to do it. I know a lady at our local UTA who handles the degrees taught in Asia. I noticed she does not have some of the very frequent habits most Chinese have with English. She says she just really worked on those things. Kept them in her head and forced herself to get the little things correct. She never makes the mistake about gender of a person for instance.

YES READ TO YOUR HUSBAND: This is exactly what we did over the phone for months while waiting. I had to break my wife of the habit of using her software that gave her British pronunciations. She has to do more clicking on the computer to get to the American pronunciation of words. She put up a fight on things she thought was correct. I had to come on strong. You must do this with yourself. Rid yourself of all that British stuff. Spend some money on what ever you need to make yourself more American, if that is your goal.

Another thing is the forming of the mouth and tongue and everything to make the sounds of the words. Once I coached my wife on a few things it improved.

Another thing is the forming of the mouth and tongue and everything to make the sounds of the words. Once I coached my wife on a few things it improved.

One of the first things I learned is making sure I stuck my tongue out when pronouncing "th". :D