Pu'erh (Puerh) Tea

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good report, Roger. That's about everything anyone would want to know about tea. :P

Ah I'm sure this doesn't even scratch the surface of tealore for many asians Ron. But reading over these descriptions I see I have to place an order soon. I must try the "camel breath" one... :P and the cake pressed into the rind of a tangerine... :D

By the way, this tea sells for around $480.00 for a kilo (2.2 lbs) in the US. I prefer Jasmine tea, the inexpensive common tea. My wife from Yunnan prefers the Puerer tea.

On the price issue I have no doubt that you CAN spend that much and even much more but, as I have ponited out in an earlier post and the list shows, you can buy very good puerh for much, much less. On preferences we are the reverse of you and your wife. I prefer puerh and my Hunan wife prefers jasmine... :P

Here's a bunch of puerh teas from Holy Mountain Trading Co.

Roger,

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I'm going to copy and print this post and hold it for future reference.

Best Regards

http://i16.tinypic.com/4g5qlac.jpg

My wife sent me this kind of pu 'er tea one time. I wished I had some more of it. It was very good and I'm not an avid tea drinker but I have never enjoyed drinking tea as much as I did with this type of tea!

These are 'melon' shaped cakes. They come from tiny to quite large sizes. Although the shape is no guarantee of quality. I have some that were cheap and we got what we paid for... :)

http://i16.tinypic.com/4g5qlac.jpg

My wife sent me this kind of pu 'er tea one time. I wished I had some more of it. It was very good and I'm not an avid tea drinker but I have never enjoyed drinking tea as much as I did with this type of tea!

These are 'melon' shaped cakes. They come from tiny to quite large sizes. Although the shape is no guarantee of quality. I have some that were cheap and we got what we paid for... :blink:

The ones my wife sent me were about the size of an acorn, I guess.

It was the best tea I've ever drank. I couldn't leave it alone!

I remember looking on the internet to buy some but it was just too much. I remember the shipping charges being as much as the tea itself!

All this talk about it is making me want some! I'll see if my wife can arrange it for me.....:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Pu er tea is considered "mild". In Guangzhou, senior citizens like Pu er tea.

Green tea is supposed to wash the oil along your digestive system.

Fat citizens like me prefer green tea.

Edited by SmilingAsia (see edit history)

Just bought some Yunnan Toucha pu'erh tea in Jiujiang. Got 100g for 35 RMB. Is this a good price and is this a good brand?

Edit:

Ok just read the original post. Looks like I got the good stuff.

That is the one I like. I found a great one here in L.A. They are shaped like little bowls and 1 makes a pot. Not many shops have it though.

Mild and for Senior citizens! Who cares the stuff tastes great!

Roger that ebay store has this Tou Cha

from 2003 production. It might just now be getting tasty.

Okay, I brought some (3 cakes) back with me from China. It's in a firm, round hard cake form. The only problem is, I'm not sure how to brew it? Do you just break off pieces of it and steep it or do you boil it? Do you wash it and let it sit in water for a while? Help! I can't wait to try it. :P

Okay, I brought some (3 cakes) back with me from China. It's in a firm, round hard cake form. The only problem is, I'm not sure how to brew it? Do you just break off pieces of it and steep it or do you boil it? Do you wash it and let it sit in water for a while? Help! I can't wait to try it. ;)

Okay I break off a chunk...break that into smaller pieces in my tea pot...add FULLY BOILING WATER...and steep for 3 - 5 minutes...you can get more than one pot out of the leaves...I guess usually about 3 for me...some people do wash it first with a quick soak in boiling water... :D mmmmmmmm...gotta' go make some now... :P