Pu'erh (Puerh) Tea

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the blurb from Holy Mountain Teas on brewing and storing tea...

http://www.holymtn.com/tea/brew.htm

OK guys enough with the Puu Erh tea!!!!! :P

I ran out of my favorite cakes and the store didn't have more. I didn't find it any where else. This weekend I'll check out more of the San Gabriel herb and tea shops.

I NEED MY FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Roger I find the leaves of this tea can be used 2 or 3 times without much loss of flavor.

THat's it no more talking until I get me TEA!

Roger, I don't know what kind this is, but here's the wrapper. It is delicious!

http://i9.tinypic.com/46zs5rd.jpg

Wow, this came out big, how do I resize it?

Holy Yunnan that is one big cake of puerh... :D You'll be drinking that all year Ron... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Tea leaves the body beautiful

(China Daily)

Updated: 2007-03-30 11:15

You should consider visiting a teahouse, or a tea store, as a new batch of spring tea has just come onto the market at the end of March.

Tea drinking is probably one of the easiest and most pleasant ways to keep fit. In fact, drinking tea has been recognised as a great way to combat weight gain.

Scientific research shows that tea contains polyphenol and dannin, which are good for the body. Polyphenol is a natural antioxidant. It can delay the aging process, and help the body prevent harm from cancer-causing substances such as nitrosamine. Dannin can lower blood fat, prevent the hardening of blood vessels, and help maintain smooth blood circulation, therefore keeping cardiovascular functions normal. Polyphenol can also alleviate symptoms of diabetes, lower blood fat and blood pressure.

One of the most popular teas in China, pu'er, has been proven to lower blood fat significantly. A French doctor once did an experiment, in which he had 20 of his patients with excessive blood fat drink three bowls of pu'er a day. A month later, the patient's blood fat reduced by a quarter.

Green tea is said to prevent cancer, which makes it a wonderful drink for modern people, who sit looking at TV and computer screens all the time. Green tea and oolong tea can moisten the intestines and help replenish vitamins. Black tea and pu'er can warm the stomach, dispel cold, and help with digestion of meat.

But people should drink the right tea, at the right time. Otherwise tea drinking could be harmful.

"Everybody can find his own cup of tea, but if it is not the right tea for him or her, there could be side-effects," said Zhao Yingli, a tea expert based in Beijing.

For example, polyphenol and theine, contained in tea, are beneficial to most people, but not to women during menstruation or pregnancy.

The Chinese consider green tea and oolong cold in nature. Therefore green tea is not suitable for people who have an aversion to the cold, or who are weak in the yin factor of the body, a symptom of which is more than average level of perspiration in hot weather, or after physical exercise. Because of that nature, green tea might cause stomach pain for women during menstruation.

Old people should not drink too much strong green tea either. That is because too much strong green tea could lead to the loss of calcium and cause osteoporosis. Elderly people should drink some black tea, pu'er, or teas with milk.

For people who have insomnia, anxiety, and neurasthenic problems, it is not a good idea to drink green tea or oolong after noon, because it might worsen the problems. A cup of pu'er instead would help with your sleep.

Generally speaking, green tea and oolong are good for summer and autumn. Black tea and pu'er are better choices for winter.

Finally, wash your tea, i.e., tip out your first cup of tea water. This helps to clean the tea and the hot water will dissolve any pesticides. Besides, the first cup is usually tasteless and not a pity to discard.

Just bought some Yunnan Toucha pu'erh tea in Jiujiang. Got 100g for 35 RMB. Is this a good price and is this a good brand?

Edit:

Ok just read the original post. Looks like I got the good stuff.

That is the one I like. I found a great one here in L.A. They are shaped like little bowls and 1 makes a pot. Not many shops have it though.

Mild and for Senior citizens! Who cares the stuff tastes great!

Roger that ebay store has this Tou Cha

from 2003 production. It might just now be getting tasty.

I just purchased the 500g tuocha.

But not before playing hell with my paypal account! It took me an half an hour to finally pay for the stuff! I foregotten my passwords to two different email accounts. Then when I finally got the email to reset my password, it failed on my security questions!...I finally had to use my wife's paypal account which works just fine, by the way, but it used her credit card number and email address! After all went thru, it says she will be receiving an email on the purchase! OH NO!!! IM IN TROUBLE!!! HELP!!!! :crutch: :blink:

I have to figure out a good plan to explain my actions once she sees that email and says, "what's this?" Using her name, email address and credit card number...OH NO!!! IM IN TROUBLE!!! HELP!!!! :bangin: :huh:

Dan, this better be some damn good tea for the trouble I just put myself thru!..........Damn!!! :angry:

My wife just told me that she is sending me a boat load of the early green tea that was just recently picked (first harvest). She is also sending me 1000gs of the Tou Cha tea. She said it costs 200 RMB to ship it all. Now I ain't about to tell y'all how much she paid for all of this. Wouldn't want anyone getting jealous :angry:

• 1 month later...

Pu'erh tea alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just informed that there has been a massive pu'erh tea buy out in China. It seems the news there broadcasted that the tea is very desireable in other countries so many of the locals are buying out the supply. There might be a shortage now and for a while until the new tea can age a bit.

I'm glad I got two cakes of it which will last me for quite a while. :ph34r:

I also just made some "sun" tea out of it and it's real good. You hardly have to sweeten it. Maybe it's that good California sun. ;)

Edited by RLS (see edit history)

I also saw a canister that you can buy that has predetermined amounts in little packets for one cup. My wife said they sell this just in case you are too lazy to break the cakes apart. :blink: But convenience costs money.

my wife made sure we had plenty before she came to USA in Dec.

http://health.msn.com/centers/highbloodpre...35&GT1=9303

This German study found that dark chocolate, but NOT tea, can reduce blood pressure... :unsure:

It's anecdotal of course, but I know for a fact that Pu'er lowered my blood pressure.

I first learned I had high blood pressure when I was 21 years old and in the Navy. I had just played a vigorous game of air hockey and stopped at one of those free blood pressure clinics in the mall. It was 145/95, but I wrote it off to the excitement of the game.

I tested high several more times, but it wasn't until I had to interrupt a vacation because of a debilitating headache that I was convinced. When I got home my bp was 165/110 and the doctor told me I was headed for the hospital if it didn't come down. He put me on a mild beta blocker of some sort and it dropped, but it never went below 130/90.

My bp has been that or higher whether I weighed 220 or 170, married or divorced or single, stressed or relaxed. Summer of '06 the doctor wanted to step up my meds (currently an ACE inhibitor, the beta blocker tended to make Mr. Happy unhappy) by adding a diuretic, but I know those can be quite bad; they leach all kinds of minerals from your body. When he prescribed it anyway without telling me, I changed doctors.

Lao Po sent me several blocks of Pu'er and in January of this year I started drinking a quart each morning, every day. I want to stress that my blood pressure has NEVER tested below 125/85 and it's usually 130-135 over 90. I went to the new doctor to refill my ACE prescription and they took my bp... 110/85!!! There was no other change in my life; in fact, it has been quite stressful for the past several months, but nothing has changed but my consumption of Pu'er tea.

I have since given some to a couple of hypertensive acquaintances and they have had the same experience; the only thing they have done differently is drink the Pu'er.

This may be a coincidence or whatever, but I'm a believer and I always will be.

Best Regards