Geen Card, Naturalized Citizenship and Assets in China

My SO currently owns her own apartment in China. If/when we get married and she lives in the USA as a foreign national, I assume she can still own her apartment. If I am wrong, please let me know.

But what happens in a few years down the road she decides to become an American Citizen. If she does would she be allowed to continue to own her own apartment or would she have to sell it???

Any thoughts or insights???

I read often about other CFL members buying a retirement home in China, so I suspect since she already owns a place in China she wont have to give it up.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21398
http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21386

I read often about other CFL members buying a retirement home in China, so I suspect since she already owns a place in China she wont have to give it up.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21398
http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21386

Well asking the question is really getting ahead of ourselves. But I always like to plan.

Thanks.

Lawrence

My SO currently owns her own apartment in China. If/when we get married and she lives in the USA as a foreign national, I assume she can still own her apartment. If I am wrong, please let me know.

But what happens in a few years down the road she decides to become an American Citizen. If she does would she be allowed to continue to own her own apartment or would she have to sell it???

Dual Citizenship could be a possibility I do not know how China would feel about this? I would make sure she has a current Chinese passport and she has a current Chinese police certificate before becoming a citizen. The Chinese Government may not renew once they discover she is an U.S. Citizen.

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...3a94e44b7deea69

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

Dual Citizenship could be a possibility I do not know how China would feel about this? I would make sure she has a current Chinese passport and she has a current Chinese police certificate before becoming a citizen. The Chinese Government may not renew once they discover she is an U.S. Citizen.

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...3a94e44b7deea69

Proposal submitted for dual nationality(03/14/05)

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/xw/t187211.htm

My wife says that the dual citizenship proposal failed.

I believe that the US does not allow it either as when you take the oath of citizenship you have to give up allegance to any other govt. I don't think it is ever enforced but it could be cause for concern if they are looking a way to take away the citizenship and deport the naturalized citizen.

My SO owns an apartment building in Nanning. When she comes over here she will leave it with one of her sisters. I still don't know if she can get it back once I marry her. :huh:

It wasn't until only 2006 which suddenly brought about a new law that prevents foreigners from owning housing property in China. For the past several years, it was no problem for foreigners to purchase property.

The newly erected law doesn't force owners to sell. It simply prevents new buyers from buying or limits the number of houses you can buy.

She will not have to worry about selling. None of your SOs will have to worry about their property in China.

So Ron, you needn't worry. Looks like you'll have a retirement home in China waiting for you. :)

Guest ShaQuaNew

My wife also owns her apartment in China. It's in a very nice area, and we've chosen to rent it out rather than sell it. It also gives us a place to live when we return to China to live....

My wife also owns her apartment in China. It's in a very nice area, and we've chosen to rent it out rather than sell it. It also gives us a place to live when we return to China to live....

My wife will also keep her apartment she owns which is within a short walking distance from the South China Sea. Her apartment is on the ground level of a six-story building and includes a garage. We will stay there when we visit early next year. Currently her family watches over the apartment, we pay approximately $40 a month for security, maintenance and power.

It wasn't until only 2006 which suddenly brought about a new law that prevents foreigners from owning housing property in China. For the past several years, it was no problem for foreigners to purchase property.

The newly erected law doesn't force owners to sell. It simply prevents new buyers from buying or limits the number of houses you can buy.

She will not have to worry about selling. None of your SOs will have to worry about their property in China.

So Ron, you needn't worry. Looks like you'll have a retirement home in China waiting for you. :)

This is good to know. I do not know where the relationship will go or what my SO would want but if she wants a retirement home in China, then I guess it needs to be planned for.

Inquiring minds...... Thanks for the info.