Food that make your SO go, you not eat that!

Grilled cheese sandwiche with tomato soup

or fried baloney sandwiche

macaroni and cheese

macaroni and cheese with ground hamburger or tuna

I survive many a nights on the above and the look of my SO when she see me eat a grilled cheese can only mean it not good for my body.

my body love and craves cheese and bread BLT!!!!! but the concept of what we american call the sandwiche just seem to travel over my SO head

why would someone put cheese between two breads? and slice bread? that a puzzlement i get from most when I'm in viet nam. cheese is hard enough to find.

Then the omelet it took me 2 days before I broke down and taught the hotel kicten staff that fried eggs or scramble eggs is not a omelet make, if you teaching someone to cook in their kicten it always best to pay for ingredents they respond much better. also make sure that there not a ban impose on eggs and chickens during an asian flu scare too.

I'm almost afraid to explain the food that most american live on when surviving the world for the first time and that is the macaroni and cheese. I fear the day of opening a box and adding hamburger to the mix or tuna and eatting out of the pan is going to become to a end,

cheese the other food

Lol...Cheese! Couldn't live without it!

When learning of each other in the beginning of our relationship we spoke of our favorite foods. Mine being of course, macaroni and cheese. Mian(4)Tiao(2) & Nai(3)Lao(4). Or, any food prepared with cheese.

I always spoke to her of cheese as being one of my favorite foods. Thinking she understood this, I found out a couple of months later that she did not understand.

Although I have traveled in length in China, I never realized that cheese was rarely used for cooking and was not readily available in China until speaking with someone who once lived there for a number of years. He educated me on the lack and use of cheese in China so I wrote to my SO to question this.

Repeating what I had learned to her she sent her response. She said that this is true that she is really not aware of cheese and what purpose cheese is used for or what exactly is cheese.

She asked me, "Do you use cheese to dip in your coffee?"

LOL. I found much humor and fun it that response, but had to re-enlighten her to my favorite food. She now has a better understanding of cheese and the many ways we prepare it here in the USA.

I will never give up my cheese and can only hope she is willing to perhaps add a Chinese flare to future meals here in America using cheese!

Clayton

American foods my wife has adopted include steak, pizza, tortillas, barbeque (turkey, beef, chicken, or ribs) and "coffee milk" (half-and-half). Just yesterday we had Papa John's for dinner, and she sent me to Sam's to buy a gallon (4 quarts) of coffee milk.

She won't touch milk, cheese, or cereal, or go to an American restaurant.

The Chinese word for cheese is rulao (or "yi, er, san" if you're taking pictures).

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Ha ha Bill... :huh:

Same expression when my wife ate that chicken foot.

ChunYan lost this ability when she grabbed that salmon fish eye and popped that badboy in her mouth...

i just starred at her like :blink:

i thought she was joking when she said

"i call the eyeball"

:huh:

My wife loves to catch fish. She says she really likes it the most because it is something we can both do together and get some fresh air. I just drive her crazy when I fillet some of the fish. She just moans that I am wasting so much meat. And the first times I cleaned some fish for us she would not let me throw away all the heads either. We still have those bass heads in the freezer. Can't wait to deep fry those big bass heads. Does anybody know the best way to get batter mix to stick to the cheeks and the eyeballs?

My wife has been in the US with me a little over a month now, and we've eaten exactly one non-Sichuan type meal during a visit my parent's made two weeks ago from Oregon to finally meet meet Keke in person, when we went to a restaurant and at my suggestion she tried Gumbo since it was relatively spicy, which she liked very much. My wife also doesn't like cheese, but she doesn't care if I eat it. Her biggest food prohibition is one I ran into while visiting her in Chengdu. It was the issue of eating "cold" foods, during the winter. Banana's were a no no, no cold drinks, (even though she knows that the tap water is perfectly clean here, she still only drinks boiled water, and I've followed her example). The tea pot is put to the boil throughout the day, and we both often add honey to it for flavor and assumed energy. She has asked me to teach her how to cook some "west" food, but we intend to stick to our diet of almost entirely Sichuan cuisine, which I prefer to any american food anyway. Living in the SF Bay area we are blessed with an abundant choice of places to find everything we were used to eating in Chengdu, and at my office Christmas party this week she made "la zi ji" spicy chili chicken" loaded with hua jiao (Sichuan pepper corns") and dried red chili's. My co-worker's were a little hesitant to try it at first, but those that did enjoyed it and complimented her. This weekend we're attending a Multicultural potluck at my son's school, for which she will make one of our favorite dishes, "double fried pork" which is spicy, but not unbearably hot for those that don't take too well to chili and hua jiao laden dishes. Since we returned from Chengdu after our succesful interview in November, I've eaten better than at any time in my life. I'm waiting for her to wake up, when she'll make me one of my favorite breakfasts, rice flour dumplings with boiled eggs to which we add honey. (I never used to eat breakfast, except when I was with her in Chengdu), until she finally was able to join me in Berkeley. My 12 year old son has also become a big fan of her meals, and while he has a lower tolerance for spicy foods than Keke and I, he's surprised me with his willingness to try new foods, and is lavish with his praise for our wonderful meals. For a change and a treat, tomorrow I'll be making us a fried egg, bacon, and toast breakfast, so she can take a break from cooking and try some "west" food made by her laogong. She's been in touch with some other recently arrived women, and most have written or told her of their disappointment with the lack of available chinese food in their areas, or their husbands preference for "west" food. It makes her very happy that I prefer to eat the food she's most familiar and comfortable with, and I'm sure "west" food will always be an occasional exception to our diet of Sichuan cuisine, to my mind and taste buds, the best on the planet! :ok:

Grilled cheese sandwiche with tomato soup

or fried baloney sandwiche

macaroni and cheese

macaroni and cheese with ground hamburger or tuna

I survive many a nights on the above and the look of my SO when she see me eat a grilled cheese can only mean it not good for my body.

my body love and craves cheese and bread BLT!!!!! but the concept of what we american call the sandwiche just seem to travel over my SO head

why would someone put cheese between two breads? and slice bread? that a puzzlement i get from most when I'm in viet nam. cheese is hard enough to find.

Then the omelet it took me 2 days before I broke down and taught the hotel kicten staff that fried eggs or scramble eggs is not a omelet make, if you teaching someone to cook in their kicten it always best to pay for ingredents they respond much better. also make sure that there not a ban impose on eggs and chickens during an asian flu scare too.

I'm almost afraid to explain the food that most american live on when surviving the world for the first time and that is the macaroni and cheese. I fear the day of opening a box and adding hamburger to the mix or tuna and eatting out of the pan is going to become to a end,

cheese the other food

You poor poor soul, I taught Mama Bear how to make an omelet and now she can make them better than me and she likes them and grilled cheese too.

I am a lucky man, in many ways.

And as for oysters on the half shell....forget it...

Dig that, I quit eating boogers when I was about 3

Yeah, I can relate. I grew up on the southwest coast of Florida, but never was much of a seafood lover. Hated fish and oysters made me want to heave. :lol:

And as for oysters on the half shell....forget it...

Dig that, I quit eating boogers when I was about 3

Yeah, I can relate. I grew up on the southwest coast of Florida, but never was much of a seafood lover. Hated fish and oysters made me want to heave. :CopBust:

I love eating raw oysters better than I love 'em fried.

I never forget a time around Christmas about 15 years ago when I got a gallon of the most freshest, coldest and biggest oysters from Glouster, VA. They were the best I've ever seen. Put one of those delights on a Saltine cracker with a little bit of cocktail sauce and "go to town!!!" Man, they were the best. I must've ate half of that gallon and a box of Saltines that night! They were delicious! But they have to be fresh, cold and big to be any good. Store bought oysters don't even come close. You have to get them from the oystermen themselves, already shucked. I Guess a gallon today probably would cost $100.