Dog and school quetions

Does anyone know what it entails to bring a spouses small dog from Southern China to the U.S? (California) Just wondering where to start on this--We may leave her little dog in China but just wondering what we may be looking at there?? We should have her K3 visa around March 2007 I'm sure hoping :rolleyes:

When she gets her K3 and comes to the U.S does anyone know the rules (if any) about her starting courses at a community college? Is there a reason she may have to wait on that?

Of couse the out of state tuition is certainly an issue also--- :unsure:

Thanks a million gang----------Ben

Dogs

Domestic dogs must be free of evidence of diseases communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry. If the animal is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at the owner's expense.

Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the United States. This requirement does not apply, however, to puppies less than three months of age or to dogs originating or located for at least six months in areas designated by the U.S. Public Health Service as being rabies-free.

The following procedures pertain to dogs arriving from areas that are not free of rabies:

* A valid rabies vaccination certificate should accompany the animal. This certificate should be in English or be accompanied by a translation. It should identify the animal, the dates of vaccination and expiration, and be signed by a licensed veterinarian. If no expiration date is specified, the certificate is acceptable if the date of vaccination is no more than 12 months before the date of arrival.

* If a vaccination has not been performed, or if the certificate is not valid, the animal may be admitted if it is confined immediately upon arrival at a place of the owner's choosing. The dog must be vaccinated within four days after arrival at the final destination, but no more than 10 days after arrival at the port of entry. The animal must remain in confinement for at least 30 days after being vaccinated.

* If the vaccination was performed less than 30 days before arrival, the animal may be admitted but must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until at least 30 days have passed since the vaccination.

* Young puppies must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until they are three months old, then they must be vaccinated. They must remain in confinement for 30 days.

Dogs that arrive in Hawaii or Guam, both of which are free of rabies, are subject to the state's or territory's quarantine requirements, in addition to whatever other Public Health Service requirements, above, apply.

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/enter...ourpet.htm#dogs

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm

About the school question: I work at a community college, it is open enrollment so there is no restriction on taking classes there. The only catch I see is with residency requirement, in order for a student at my college to get the residency rate, they would have to live in the state for more than 6 months and be able to prove that they are a resident to get the resident tuition rate, if not they would pay the double tuition. Fortunately as an employee of the college my fiance will be eligible to use my tuition waiver after we marry.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

My So and 6 month old puppy will be arriving on tuesday.

i'll let you know of any problems.

you can ship the dog as cargo, the catch is China requires an agent to handle this an dthey charge high prices, probably 2,000 dollars.

Our puppy is flying as excess baggae at a cost of 100 dollars.

For the "k9" visa... it takes one week (so long as the dog has been vaccinated properly by an authorized Chinese veterinarian at least thrity days prior). The k9 visa applicant (dog) must go to a Chinese animal export place (get the local number from an airline) and receive a physical and get injected with a identification tag. It costs about 100$ in Shanghai.

Does anyone know what it entails to bring a spouses small dog from Southern China to the U.S? (California) Just wondering where to start on this--We may leave her little dog in China but just wondering what we may be looking at there?? We should have her K3 visa around March 2007 I'm sure hoping ;)

My wife had thought about bringing her small dog to the U.S. but changed her mind and gave her dog to a family member. Vaccinations are a key issue they I believe must take place in advance and some airlines will allow carry on. I did find this on airline restrictions.

Airline Restrictions: Ask when making your reservations if there are special policies regarding pets in-cabin. Rules, regulations and charges vary from airline to airline, so always check first. If the airline gives you dimensions of normal pet carriers, those dimensions are for hard carriers. What is important is the size of your animal. The pet must be able to fit comfortably under the seat in front of you and have room to stand up and turn around inside of the bag.