Tipping in China (and other foreign countries)

Hello,

I cannot get over how when I was in China that there was absolutely no tipping permitted. It may have been discussed here before - but if not - I would sure love to read comments about tipping in China and other countries?

I have never traveled to any country other than China - therefore I have no idea what it is like there. But in China my SO told me that tipping was not only not necesary but that it was more or less and insult to the person to give a tip.

What do you guys and gals know about tipping in China and other countries?

Thanks,

Scott

Hello,

I cannot get over how when I was in China that there was absolutely no tipping permitted. It may have been discussed here before - but if not - I would sure love to read comments about tipping in China and other countries?

I have never traveled to any country other than China - therefore I have no idea what it is like there. But in China my SO told me that tipping was not only not necesary but that it was more or less and insult to the person to give a tip.

What do you guys and gals know about tipping in China and other countries?

Thanks,

Scott

My feeling is that enjoy the no-tipping while it lasts. As China evolves and grows into a modern international player, outside influences will change this. I will tell you one thing, I didn't see anyone refuse a tip, nor feel insulted when it was offered. Granted, some times persons were surprised and weren't sure what they were supposed to do with the extra money. I can still see that young girl who stood by and attended our dinner table staring at the $5.00 bill that I handed her. I remember the woman pedicab driver who saw this Meiquo jump into the back of her cab. She holds up 2 fingers. I hold up 4. When we arrived at my destination I gave her 10. Her smile was worth every bit of that $1.25.

Porters in hotels always seemed to expect a tip after they hauled your luggage into the room and eating at a fancy Beijing duck restaurant a tip was included in the bill... :lol: On tours with guides a tip is expected...But other than that, as Dennis said, enjoy it while it lasts... :)

I tipped a waitress once, she chased me to give me the money back. At one hotel I wanted to carry our two little carry-on's. the 'porter' said "oh, no, let me do it." Then he demanded a big tip. I called the manager on that deal.

While in China my wife tells me no tipping. She is from a smaller city and I have yet to see anyone tip, since I don’t frequent the tourist sites or establishments. Most foreigners are I believe the main tippers, yes enjoy it while it last I imagine they are going to catch on quickly if they haven’t already especially in the larger cities. Maybe after the Olympics in Beijing it may never be the same since they are anticipating the cash value of the foreigners, I understand they are rapidly learning English to be prepare for the rush of visitors.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

My wife told me that I must not try to leave a tip in a restaurant there. When I questioned her about this she explained that if I did leave something hoping the servers would get this money that instead the manager would get it anyway. At that point I quit arguing. But my wife would not even let me give a tip to a taxi driver. I figured out how to overcome that though and would secretly throw money on the floor as I was getting out.

I tipped the porter and waitresses in China. They smiled and thanked me many times. They love tips. B)

Agree with Tony here. I always "accidently" forget some my money under the plate/bowl at restaurants. I always forgot it there, since some people look down on gratuities. Some people don't mind. However, I never flaunt the money to gain attention or thanks.

I would also "accidently" forget some of my money that I left on my ummade bed in hotels.

I always wondered about tipping at American Restaurants (Pizza Hut, TGI Fridays, Outback). I never did, but I always fealt strange not doing it.... I only left a tip in a restaurant once (in Xi-An). The people laughed at me.

As to your question about other countries, in most of South East Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos), it's the same deal. You don't tip taxi's or in restaurants, but you tip tour guides and hotel porters... In the Middle east, you tip. In Europe they add it to your bill (and the service IS terrible). I haven't been to Africa or South America, so I can't comment.