Married woman's name change?

A bit of curiosity or possible confusion, but I post here seeking info on how my future SO's name will change once married and living in the USA.

My SO's name is Wen Li. My name is Clayton Taylor.

I love the full name of my SO. I hate to lose or change it in anyway. I speak of her as Wen Li and cannot foresee dropping her family name and referring to her as just Li.

Can someone explain the correct or proper way of how she will be referred to once we are married.

Thanks.

A bit of curiosity or possible confusion, but I post here seeking info on how my future SO's name will change once married and living in the USA.

My SO's name is Wen Li. My name is Clayton Taylor.

I love the full name of my SO. I hate to lose or change it in anyway. I speak of her as Wen Li and cannot foresee dropping her family name and referring to her as just Li.

Can someone explain the correct or proper way of how she will be referred to once we are married.

Thanks.

Only her friends will tell you! Wen Li is very easy for Americans, so there is no reason to change it unless she wants to. There have been plenty of threads on how to change it officially, but she may keep her name by simply doing nothing!

The short answer is: Wen Li in china, and probably Li Wen in the US

When you do the paperwork, you'll have to ensure she lists her name in western notation ( Li Wen or Wen, Li).

Neither I nor my wife ever expected her to change her name. Since she is used to people not doing it in china, and I like her name so much I offered to change my last name to her :unsure:

We also want to consider to retire back in china.. Also seems simplier if she keeps her name for paperwork and rest of life.

If you want to change it... see the AOS FAQs.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

Happy to read the responses.

I will hope to continue to call her Wen Li and once married I hope to refer to her as Wen Li Taylor.

I will not be comfortable speaking of her as Li Wen Taylor or Li Taylor.

Perhaps legal documents will not allow this, but in our own world it will work wonderfully.

Thanks

The majority of Chinese do not have a middle name, so my wife in taking my family name moved her family name to become her middle name.

In Chinese circles, both the in the US and China she is known by her Chinese name.

In US circles she is known by her first name and my family name.

At home she is either wife or mom depending on which of the male members of the household is speaking with her. :unsure:

I never expected my wife to change her name. We will see what she really does when here. She tells me she will change it to my last name and maybe even use her school English name she usses now. :) Ahhh, I just don't like it. :angry: You know I try to learn how to pronounce all the foreign names of people I meet. I feel it makes them feel a little more welcome if i learn their name. I will never call my wife by any new American name. I can't even remember now what it is. :unsure:

we ended up changing it

i didnt think she was going to....

im a proud man for such a beautiful woman to have my name

she just took her sir name and moved it to her middle name.....

i guess that is a normal thing here in the states as well.

we ended up changing it

Mrs. Izus ?? :P

we ended up changing it

Mrs. Izus ?? :D

:roller: :blink: :huh: :roller: :roller:

Other than marriage, divorce, and I guess this USC thing, what is the other way of changing a name.

Apply to your local County Court for a name change. I have heard it is quite simple.

My wife has thought about changing her first name to Lisa.

I like her Chinese name. She things it is just to hard for Americans to remember.

So far my friends are proving her correct.

I don't want to create a big issue with USCIS just yet, by changing her name.

we ended up changing it

Mrs. Izus ?? :D

thats it.....

or should i say

thats us...

i mean

iz..us

:lol:

Edited by izus (see edit history)