Could somebody record it for me I won't be back to the states untill the end of the month and I would really like to have a copy of it for Mama Bear to watch when she does get to come to the states.

She was living here in Beijing at the time it happened but knows very little about everything that happened.

If somebody can record it and you are too far away for me to pick it up I will gladly pay for the tape and shipping and a little extra for the trouble.

Could somebody record it for me I won't be back to the states untill the end of the month and I would really like to have a copy of it for Mama Bear to watch when she does get to come to the states.

She was living here in Beijing at the time it happened but knows very little about everything that happened.

If somebody can record it and you are too far away for me to pick it up I will gladly pay for the tape and shipping and a little extra for the trouble.

236833[/snapback]

By no means is this a substitue for a documentary, but you can find some videos on YouTUBE by searching "Tiananmin".

236833[/snapback]

By no means is this a substitue for a documentary, but you can find some videos on YouTUBE by searching "Tiananmin".

236914[/snapback]

public broadcasting service has a CD called The Tankman and it deals with the events of that week. It has real film footage and interviews and shows how the city reacted. Frontline aired it years ago

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?p...rentPage=family

236833[/snapback]

236914[/snapback]

public broadcasting service has a CD called The Tankman and it deals with the events of that week. It has real film footage and interviews and shows how the city reacted. Frontline aired it years ago

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?p...rentPage=family

237266[/snapback]

Thanks I ordered it and it should be there about the same time I get back to the states, and I went to Youtube and couldn't find anything untill I realized it is spelled Tiananmen, but thanks Mama Bear will be watching it with me in a few minutes. I do want the History channel take on it though but the nice thing about the History channel is if it is on once it will be on 100 times!

Edited by papa bear (see edit history)

Has anyone seen the documentary “Moving the Mountain” by Michael Apted made in 1994? It pushed me over the edge to finish a letter I had started to Bush back in May 2001 to thank him for asking the PRC to grant religious freedom to the Chinese. Anyway I was glued to the TV when I saw it. I had no idea it was so intense and bloody and the leaders had to flee, some of whom are in the USA. It just shows what has always been the price for freedom, blood. Now I wish more people in other countries would do the same on their own.

My wife was in college in 89 and joined a group and marched for some personal freedoms in another city. She still feels a little unsure of herself about it and blames it on her youth. I like to think it showed some good character on her part.

I will be out of town this week but will try to watch. Thanks Ski.

Doug

It hurts to see how little people in China now understand it, except those who experienced it right there.

238189[/snapback]

Only once have I been to the square and not talked to a Chinese about it. I bring it up. I bugged my work companioin until he finally took me on my last night on the first visit. I had to correct his thinking and that of others that many of us in the world think better of the Chinese because of the event. I really respect the people who did that. That square will always be a symbol of freedom to me. I put that pic of the single man in front of the tank as one of the all time if not the best pic ever taken.

Settle down Doug, dang man.

I have not seen the movie but my wife can remember going to church at Xmas to see the celebrations. That was in the mid '80's. Bush did write the PRC govt but they were already in a slow process of allowing more religious freedom,

IMO, I think that the Tianamnem Sq demostrations were the worst thing the students could have done. They starded as a memorial to Hu Yaubang and got out of control. He was a promoter of democracy who had been discredited by the CCP. At the time, Zhao Ziyang was primier and was very pro-democracy. He lost his job because of poor handling of the protests. This was helped along by Li Peng who took over his job.

I suggest that everyone interested in this event read the "Tiananmen Papers". a remarkable book that gives an inside look at the Chinese govt and shows that it may be as poorly organized as ours.