Will this be a problem? (age limit)

I seriously doubt the age of your girlfriend is going to be a consideration with USCIS, since you won't be able to marry in the US for about one year anyhow. I would however be concerned with the Chinese government and their view on marriage at such a young age.

236506[/snapback]

When I first started talking to Jen, I researched this and found out the China's legal age for marriage is 20 for girls and 22 for boys. This would only be a factor if they planned to marry in China.

Coming to the US, China will have little to do with any part of the process and other than providing documents, won't have anything to say about granting the visa.

I seriously doubt the age of your girlfriend is going to be a consideration with USCIS, since you won't be able to marry in the US for about one year anyhow. I would however be concerned with the Chinese government and their view on marriage at such a young age.

236506[/snapback]

When I first started talking to Jen, I researched this and found out the China's legal age for marriage is 20 for girls and 22 for boys. This would only be a factor if they planned to marry in China.

Coming to the US, China will have little to do with any part of the process and other than providing documents, won't have anything to say about granting the visa.

236525[/snapback]

That's what I'm reading too Jim.

In order to get married, the man shall not be younger than 22 years old and the woman shall not be younger than 20. Late marriage and late child birth shall be encouraged.

From Marriage Law of the People's Republic of China and repeated in US Embassy "GETTING MARRIED IN CHINA " and China Advisor: Marriage Laws

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

From the I-129F instructions:

If either of you is of an age that requires specialconsent or permission for you to marry in thejurisdiction where your marriage will occur, give proofof that consent or permission;

Most states list 18 as the age of consent to be married without parental consent, so you could have everything signed and ready and send it the day after her birthday to be safe. If you jump the gun it is very possible they could reject the petition because if she is 17 when the paperwork arrives.

Be extra careful to date everything that is signed for her 18th birthday or later.

I think Mike makes a very good point in regards to the G-325 having to be signed by your fiance. Signing at the age of 17 could end up being a big problem. If it was me I would wait until she turned 18 it takes the quessing out of it. Just my opinion.

Rick

Also... what is your age?  GZ has taken a dim view of wide age differences in the past.

236542[/snapback]

I am 20. Her parents actually know my parents. My parents and her parents are classmates and best friends. We have actually been talking online, phone calling, postcard mailing, etc, for the past year and a half or so. This year I got a chance to go back to China and fully meet her in person and I have decided she will be the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with.

Edited by Kabijin (see edit history)
Also... what is your age??GZ has taken a dim view of wide age differences in the past.

236542[/snapback]

I am 20. Her parents actually know my parents. My parents and her parents are classmates and best friends. We have actually been talking online, phone calling, postcard mailing, etc, for the past year and a half or so. This year I got a chance to go back to China and fully meet her in person and I have decided she will be the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with.

236562[/snapback]

Are you an ABC?

I ask this because having your SO leave China

and come to the US at a young age, alone, may

be difficult.

Being with a Chinese family here would help a great

deal and should make for a smooth transition.

First, take a look at http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/Table_Marriage.htm to make sure of the age requirement for your particular state. If your fiancee is of the age that requires parental consent, it seems you would have two options. First, as part of the I-129F filing, you could supply the parental consent as part of the paperwork to demonstrate that, at the time of filing, you are free to get married. Second, you could wait until your fiancee is of the minimum age that doesn't require parental consent and file then. Personally, I'd probably wait.