• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guarantee you, if I give her $20 or $100 today, it will all be spent by tomorrow.

Thrifty and frugal. :) Well, she IS different than the way other Chinese wives are portrayed.

I never complain about it though. My money is her money now. If she NEEDS something, anything, we buy it. Seldom questioned or even a discussed first.

This is an interesting subject Ken. I addressed this with my wife to be and was very open with spending habits she currently has in China and the difference it will be in the US. She has assured me she will adjust, but I don't want her thinking I am a scrooge. I also addressed the issue of hers/mine and our bank accounts. Again, she wants one bank account for "the family" and one for savings. This is going to be one hell of a balancing act.

Your all going to love this one. All my life I dreaded getting married to someone that is going to spend all my money while i'm working my butt off. I'm your everyday proud cheapie. Well I get married to Nicola and she works her butt off with me and tells me I spend too much money! I'm the first to tell you our 10 year old 180,000 mile 4-runner can go another 4 years and another 120,000 miles. But God! Can't we get seperate Cokes at a fast food resturant! Beware what you wish for.

Your all going to love this one.  All my life I dreaded getting married to someone that is going to spend all my money while i'm working my butt off.  I'm your everyday proud cheapie.  Well I get married to Nicola and she works her butt off with me and tells me I spend too much money!  I'm the first to tell you our 10 year old 180,000 mile 4-runner can go another 4 years and another 120,000 miles.  But God!  Can't we get seperate Cokes at a fast food resturant!  Beware what you wish for.

236515[/snapback]

Ya my LP wanted new house, nice car but god forbid when I spend $3 on a laser pointer for the dog to chase around, she says I waste money while she sits on couch using laser pointer to play with dog :rolleyes: go figure.

We Chinese women can be frugal if we need to, but we also know how to spend money.

You may ask your Chinese SOs whether they have routinely visited beauty salon to have facial done while in China and have completely given up this habit after moving to US. :rolleyes:

We Chinese women can be frugal if we need to, but we also know how to spend money. 

You may ask your Chinese SOs whether they have routinely visited beauty salon to have facial done while in China and have completely given up this habit after moving to US. :blink:

236560[/snapback]

Yep, and she used to buy expensive purses also.

Like many have said about themselves, I am pretty stingy. I like my toys, but in general, I shop at walmart, by everything used if I can, and only by things on sale. My wife makes me feel like I am always on a spending spree...

She recently bought some pants at a discount store for $4. When I got home she asked me, "Did I spend too much?" On Saturday, we went to walmart. She bought some shoes. When she saw the price ($14), she didn't want them because they were too expensive.

I like to save, but I also want to enjoy my blessings. She just wants to save. I guess I am lucky. No matter how poor we are, we will never have to worry about money.

Wow, Frugal wives rule!

My SO makes roughly 800 RMB per month and you just KNOW she loves you when she spends over 200 RMB just to send me a card she made! That's a a quarter of her monthly salary on postage!

However, as it may seem that my SO is very breezy with her money, I have come to learn the contrary. There's actually a Chinese custom to spending (usually) and my father, being Chinese, taught this to me as well. The rule of thumb is that you never ever spend alot of money on yourself, but if you ever go to buy someone a gift, you have better be prepared to empty your bank account!

The rule of thumb is that you never ever spend alot of money on yourself, but if you ever go to buy someone a gift, you have better be prepared to empty your bank account!

236717[/snapback]

I think when a woman stays single, she should treat herself nice so she won't regret.

I spent two thirds of my money on myself: regular skin care, weight losing program, shampoo, foot massage, clothes (buy a lot but wear T-shirts only :surprise: ), shoes, restaurants...

(With $1,000 per month, one can have a comfortable life in China)

Like many others here I consider myself frugal, my only vice is buying DVD's, but I only buy used copies at Blockbuster and usually I wait until they have their 5 for $30 sale. I did load up last fall when they had a sidewalk sale and all used DVD's were half price and you got free for every 5 you purchased. I think I bought 34 DVD's that day. :surprise:

My SO is also very frugal, it took me 90 minutes to convince her to let me purchase her a dress. It cost the equivalent of 1/3 to 1/2 her monthly living expenses, this is why she was relunctant to make the purchase. For me is one hour OT. Her sisters thought I was careless with my money while I was in China, but I was buying gifts for family to take back home and actually came in way below budget.

I had to agree to her making all future purchases in the street market in order to get her to allow me to purchase the dress for her. She loves to haggle over prices and get the best deal possible.

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)

You may ask your Chinese SOs whether they have routinely visited beauty salon to have facial done while in China and have completely given up this habit after moving to US. :)

236560[/snapback]

Joanne....had to laugh when I read your facial comment. I am wondering how to tell Yan that a weekly facial and hair washing with head/shoulder massage is uncommon here in the US. Unless of course, you want to spend big bucks at a day spa twice a week..... :roller: