Chinese prejudices

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chinese women are good cooks and take good care of you. American women are selfish and controlling.

Sorry, I couldn't resist :P Just pointing out similar things may be said by some here too...

225750[/snapback]

American men who marry Asian women are looking for a docile subservient woman they can dominate.

225780[/snapback]

Yeah I get that one too. Until they meet my lao po. Then they realize it was she who wanted the docile subservient one... B) :blink: :blink: :boxer:

You bring up an interesting issue Dennis that I have heard before and experienced myself.  The Chinese expert syndrome.  It seems that with many women they will believe some half baked idea they heard from some friend of theirs over what their American husband told them who has lived here all his life.  This seems to be a pretty common thing from what I can gather talking with other husbands.

226023[/snapback]

And don't forget that only Chinese doctors and Chinese news know anything about anything...

What Chinese doctors claim to tell my wife run almost 100% opposite than what western doctors tell us... I think part of the time she is screwing with me (she has a wicked sense of humour), but other times, I think she actually believes what I consider to be nonsense.

Maybe that is my bias? She has one too, since she bought 1800Y worth of Chinese meds to come with her to the US, assuming the feds will let her do it.

Dennis you win the prize! I get this also and also wonder WTF haven't you ever heard of logic, common sense etc etc and than I realize nope she hasn't sigh :rolleyes:

As for Doctors in China, everytime I was sick we went and saw them and this ran from colds, bronchitus, to bells palsye from our return trip there, and a few other things. In Shenzhen at least I got very good treatment and all meds I was given I googled and...yup right on just what the Doc ordered, chinese or american.

I did know another Brit expat who broke his wrist in a football (socor can't even spell it) game. He had it looked at in the UK and it wasn't set correctly as he had numbness. But this sounded like a slightly unusual medical need and yes in-experience perhaps on the Doctors part, hardly a voodoo, rumor, uneducated way to view the world.

Carl as you were saying many other husbands report the same thing.If this is true it brings up a wider issue of education. If a person doesn't have the skills for critic thinking there is going to be a ceiling on what the know and can learn. With that it may be easier to govern a society, but this one in particular is 5 times ours and has less developement.

Is this a chicken and egg issue? It has only been in our life times that the great push forward and Cultural Revolution came into being and failed leave China with few if any educators and perhaps a generation or two who didn't have a chance at education.

Just rambling...but in the end yeah it's a pain in the ...

Mark

I've experienced the "Chinese expert" syndrome a number of times. I finally adopted a tactic that seems to have led to a little improvement. When we have a situation where it turns out that the Chinese expert was wrong and I was right, at an appropriate and private time, I initiate a discussion where I gently point out that I was right and X was wrong and I remind her that this has also been the case on other issues, then I humbly acknowledge that sometimes the Chinese expert IS right so we should always listen to everyone and use our best judgement. We have had this discussion twice. It seems to be well received.

This is a tough subject. You don't want to cause her to lose face by rubbing her nose in it when she is wrong. I just let the truth speak for itself and eventually after some of the so called experts were proven to be wrong enough times she started to think maybe I know something after all.

As far as doctors are concerned it seems to be pretty common for Chinese to believe that American doctors are only good at surgery and for everything else to see a Chinese doctor. The idea that Dennis's doctor is as American as anyone will be negated due to the fact he is of Chinese decent.

My wife isn't that fond of Japanese.

225699[/snapback]

Japanese slaughtered our grandparents in China.

Years ago, there was a girl who dated a Japanese in Nan Jing: an old woman, a fruit pedlar refused to sell fruits to them.

It will take 2 more generations to forget the holocaust in Nan Jing.

Edited by tonado (see edit history)
My wife isn't that fond of Japanese.

225699[/snapback]

Japanese slaughtered our grandparents in China.

Years ago, there was a girl who dated a Japanese in Nan Jing: an old woman, a fruit pedlar refused to sell fruits to them.

It will take 2 more generations to forget the holocaust in Nan Jing.

226526[/snapback]

The Japanese took over my grandfather's house in GZ during WWII and used it as a hospital for their soldiers. My parents called them "Carot head" but they don't discriminate against them now.

Japan today is no threat to China. As long as the Chinese govt encourages anti Japanese sentiment the bigotry will continue. The war has been over for 60 years. It is time to get on with better relations between all the countries involved in the conflict.

The Japanese have the 2nd largest military budget in the world (guess who's number one).

Some Japanese are pushing for the Constitutional restrictions against offensive military to be erased. Which would really only be rectifying the law with the fact that they have a military quite capable of offensive action.

Add to that their insistence that they did nothing wrong in WWII. Their history books still insist US/western aggression/intent to take over Asia caused them to assume "protectorate" role over all of Asia... They still insist that the butchers of Nanjing were war heroes. Their Prime Minister prays at the war criminals' graves every year to honor them. (He says he's not honoring those 14 war criminals...but he refuses to stop going, and the Japanese govt refuses to remove the war criminals from the shrine). Japan is willing to sour economic deals with both South Korea and China over this.

The Japanese show no sign of remorse or regret for any of the things they did in WWII. Which indicates they wouldn't see a problem with trying again.

The South Koreans apparently trust the Japanese even less than the North Koreans, which should tell you something.

I'll agree that the Japanese currently show no outward signs of resuming their aggression. But they are busy trying to make sure roadblocks to future such 'adventurism' are removed and/or erased.

The nations currently engaged in actively most likely to destablize Asia are, in order:

1) North Korea

2) Japan

3) Taiwan

4) The Philippines (internal Islamic terrorism)

5) Indonesia (internal Islamic terrorism, problems with East Timor)

6) US

7) Thailand (internal Islamic terrorism, again)

8) Russia

9) China

The reason I put China so low on the list:

China is in the process of creating new relationships, new frameworks, greater economic and military and diplomatic integration with Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Americas. Their efforts are possibly the the most we've seen from a single nation in decades.

Their combination of cheap labor, rising wealth, manufacturing base, intellectual capital, work ethic, purchasing power, and thirst for luxury goods and raw materials make them an economic powerhouse. Their economy is smaller than the US and probably will be for the rest of our natural lives, but their rate of growth makes them the premier market to invest or sell.

There is absolutely no reason for China to use military aggression (where they are inferior to US and its allies) to achieve their aims when their economic and diplomatic tools can achieve those same aims. If China's economic growth stops, the people will rise up and overthrow the govt. The "Commies" are no longer advocates of an economic system, but adherents to the religion of "staying in power to get rich and stay out of jail".

Then again, this is my opinion, and your mileage may vary.

I think part of the issue with Japan and China is economics, Japan is slowly losing it's number 1 position in Asia if it hasn't already and china is raising to the centering influence.

The issue of the waris just a galvinizing topic for the people,just as say the 4th of july or a parade with flags.. I.E.flag waving will rally Americans of all stripes.

Than you have Taiwan and China another "Topic" for discussion as is Hong Kong.like most any developing nation you can relay on your people and institutions to research and move you forward or you can relay on others... HK and Tawain are very useful to main land China and any thing more than sabar rattling would defeat their ultimate perpose...to gain knowledge to view and learn, to trade.

Lenova buying out IBM's laptops which was over priced was as much for the access as it was the knowledge.. marketing, western culture, distrobution etc etc.Tolearn all this on your own would take many many years, asonly recently have the new generation of China'syouth gotten the benefit of an education and perhaps a western one at that.

Mark

How about the Chinese getting things from their govt about the US?

We always look for an excuse to go to war to get the oil. or We fight everybody for our own gain.

Also my wife had a little prejudice of Americans and never even thought of marrying one, due to some bad examples of some Americans she worked with, who were away from home, and hung out with the wrong kind of ladies.

Seems there were som eother things too. Not sure how I got around it all. :D

In their text books, Japanese call Nan Jing Holocaust "fighting with Chinese in China"

Japanese said whether they pray at the war criminals' grave or not, South Koreans won't buy their products. Japanese said even when they pray at the war criminals' grave, Chinese will buy their products all the same, which makes young students mad.

If I buy any brand of Japanese, my friends will beat me up and send me more pics of Nan Jing Holocaust.

Btw, if Chinese men have sufficient resources, they don't tend to blow up a tower in a big city or send troops to a foreign country - everybody just purchases a 2nd wife (bao er nai) or maybe a 3rd.

Edited by tonado (see edit history)
Btw, if Chinese men have sufficient resources, they don't tend to blow up a tower in a big city or send troops to a foreign country - everybody just purchases a 2nd wife (bao er nai) or maybe a 3rd.

226734[/snapback]

Dern Eunice, how do they do it? I have hard enough time just keeping one woman happy. I can't imagine what it'd be like having three of them pissed off at me.