Well she is here!

Going on a week and a hlf now and things are being thrown out faster then I can keep track of! It is great. Bought new beds for us and our daughter and just order the bedroom set, for daughter. She is ready for her license so she can get out of the house during the day!

The only bad news is my worthless POS employer wont let me put her on my insurance because i didnt add her when we got married. Cigna says it is my employer's policy not there. The HR director at your company deciedes that. When I called Monday to get inmformation on how to add my family, she (HRM) basically laughed and said without SSn we can to do anything. I tole her I can get her case or alien number and was told that wouldnt work. She calls me back Thurs to ask when we marry, then was told you had to add her then. That was the life changing event. Um, you told me you needed a SSn and cant get that til they get here. Oh we could have used her case number. Changing stories here. Some HRM we have here, eh?

OK so you are tell me I had to pay $500 a month for the last 16 months on someone who couldnt even use the insurance?

I dont think me calling the HR manager worthless helped my cause any.

Any one know any good deals on Health Insurance. Thinking of trying the Farm Bureau.

I think a detailed letter stating the conflicting information that you have been given by HR is a good idea, send a copy to HR and your boss, ask that they reverse their final decision. You might also mention that the conflicting information they provided does have the appearance of discrimination, but you are sure that is not the case.

Be careful not to make the letter confrontational, try to take the tone of someone who is extremely confused, bewildered and a bit hurt.

If you were told conflicting information, you might want to seek an attorney that specializes in employment law. You should not need a social security number one would assume under the situation; however, if you seek legal advice it might be detrimental to your employment.

Guest pushbrk
My employer told me i have to have a SSN to get my wife on my insurance. However, once I have it she can get the health insurance so its no big. But your situation doesnt sound kosher to me, i'd check with a lawyer.

223266[/snapback]

This seems to be a case of a less than comptent HR person. Generally a change in status is an event that justifies adding family members. For instance, if your USA spouse lost their job, they can be immediately added. It's the same with a loss of benefits.

Your wife left her job and benefits in China. She now qualifies to be put on your benefits.

The Catch 22 some have to deal with is when the SSN is still used as the medical insurance ID number. Then the employer and insurance company don't seem to have another option.

I would be careful about taking legal action with my employer. Explaining the situation to a responsible executive and letting them run with the ball is usually a better option.

Going on a week and a hlf now and things are being thrown out faster then I can keep track of!  It is great.  Bought new beds for us and our daughter and just order the bedroom set, for daughter.  She is ready for her license so she can get out of the house during the day! 

The only bad news is my worthless POS employer wont let me put her on my insurance because i didnt add her when we got married.  Cigna says it is my employer's policy not there.  The HR director at your company deciedes that.  When I called Monday to get inmformation on how to add my family, she (HRM) basically laughed and said without SSn we can to do anything.  I tole her I can get her case or alien number and was told that wouldnt work.  She calls me back Thurs to ask when we marry, then was told you had to add her then.  That was the life changing event.  Um, you told me you needed a SSn and cant get that til they get here.  Oh we could have used her case number.  Changing stories here.  Some HRM we have here, eh? 

OK so you are tell me I had to pay $500 a month for the last 16 months on someone who couldnt even use the insurance? 

I dont think me calling the HR manager worthless helped my cause any.

Any one know any good deals on Health Insurance.  Thinking of trying the Farm Bureau.

223235[/snapback]

Take look at your insurance policy through your company?? If you do not have one, HR will have one or can get it for you..

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

How long did you wait until you tried to add her to you policy?

I checked with my HR dept. before our marriage and was told to make

sure I called within 90 days after we were married, if I waited any longer

they would not be able to add her until next year.

From what they told me, after 90 days it becomes an IRS issue and

not a company issue.

Most companies have an annual enrollment that let you change your

coverage every year without the need for a life changing event. Check

with your company, you should be able to add her at the end of the year.

My employer told me i have to have a SSN to get my wife on my insurance. However, once I have it she can get the health insurance so its no big. But your situation doesnt sound kosher to me, i'd check with a lawyer.

223266[/snapback]

I dont have a SSN, but my husband added my and my son's name on his insurance in NOv. last year. I have seen our names on insurance card.

I hate insurance!!!!! As a general rule, a life changing event, such as marriage, also has a grace period during which you can make changes to your coverage. Also, you do not need a social security number to participate in most plans, just numbers that will fill the data field until the actual number is secured.

Otherwise, glad that things are going well for you and the family.

In my company you can add a person when there is a life changing event such as marriage. You have 30 days in which to do so. I spaced it out and missed the window when Bing and I got married and had to wait until the next open enrollment period. No SSN was needed.

They told me the life changin spiel. They say that was being married in Janurary of 2005. Thus I would have had topay $8000 dollars since then into the insurance company on people that didnt need it, and couldnt use it.

Moving to another country giving up everythign you know doesnt qualify as a life changing event?

I also remembered talking to the HR manager last year, different person then. He actually knew what he was doing. He told me not to worry about it, and to let him know when she got here and they would take care of it.

I was thinking of writing a letter to the current HRM my manager, General Manager and owner of the company. I will be sure to make it sound like it is discrimination too. I would love nothing more then to get an attorney on them, and think I could have a case, I could also find another job pretty easy, in which case I get to add my family to the insurance in 30-90 days and it is guarnteed to be cheaper and better insurance as well.

If your in Orl and want to buy a car I can tell you where not to go!

Edited by Chad (see edit history)

Haha, I made sure my boss knew this was a very real option for me. My wife is here so employment history isnt as important. The reason I dont want to leave now is because I am in sales and get comission. I am also the only one at my store now so my comission for the next 2 months will be great. But that does not take the place of my family's safety and health. As of now my employer cares shit for my family's well being.

Up untill 30 days after you marry. Or wait untill next years open season. That would be when you civilians renew your policy. It is bullsh-t they need a SSN #. Tell the person that laughed at you if he ever does it again you will see to it he is fired. Ask him why he doesn't know enough about his job, to see that the workers like you don't get screwed. That's just my opinion :cheering:

In my company you can add a person when there is a life changing event such as marriage.  You have 30 days in which to do so.  I spaced it out and missed the window when Bing and I got married and had to wait until the next open enrollment period.  No SSN was needed.

223303[/snapback]

I work for an insurance company. I have 30 days after the marriage to add my new wife and child. They told me with the other woman, she didn't need a SS#, but she had one. I wasn't able to remove her until I produced divorce papers.