Third time no charm!

My in-laws went in for their interview in Shanghai on Monday. It is obvious that they meet all the requirements for a tourist visa. The first time they both applied and were given the reason they were denied as being that they only had one child. The second time was because they had not been to another country and so have not shown that they could leave China and return. As father in law was staying behind, they could not use the first reason again. And as they have now been to other countries and returned, they could not use that. So what did they use as an excuse? My wifes and my age difference!!! What does that have to do with tourist visas?? Don't they think that if the US cared, they would have brought it up at the K1 interview or the green card interview.

We are completely pissed. I have to think that the Chinese govt cares about its citizens much more than the US govt does.

Sweetie will be winging her way to Shanghai on Wed.

Bumed out Ski

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pushbrk
My in-laws went in for their interview in Shanghai on Monday. It is obvious that they meet all the requirements for a tourist visa. The first time they both applied and were given the reason they were denied as being that they only had one child. The second time was because they had not been to another country and so have not shown that they could leave China and return. As father in law was staying behind, they could not use the first reason again. And as they have now been to other countries and returned, they could not use that. So what did they use as an excuse? My wifes and my age difference!!! What does that have to do with tourist visas?? Don't they think that if the US cared, they would have brought it up at the K1 interview or the green card interview.

We are completely pissed. I have to think that the Chinese govt cares about its citizens much more than the US govt does.

Sweetie will be winging her way to Shanghai on Wed.

Bumed out Ski

213703[/snapback]

That sucks and I doubt they gave the real reason. The real reason probably has something to do with them not convincing the VO they have a compelling reason to return to China.

They still only have one child and many intending immigrants are happy to travel to another country and return to China if they think it will help them get a tourist visa. They don't have an offspring in whatever country they traveled to in the interim, obviously. Why WOULDN'T they return to China and apply for a US tourist visa again.

I doubt the VO or anybody cares about your age difference but it may be a key factor in their concern that the folks won't return to China. The first two reasons related to the same concern. I expect the third reason is the same as the first, in reality but that doesn't mean you ever got a full disclosure of the reason. They're not likely to do that.

You probably know enough about their situation to understand the reason, no matter how much you disagree with it.

I guess this is why some parents are FORCED to immigrate to US.  Just so that they can visit their kids' family. :D

213733[/snapback]

Joanne, that's exactly what happened to a co-worker (Russian). Her family had been coming each year to the USA since the early 1980s. After 9/11/2001, they were denied any visa to the USA. So the coworker had to begin immigration process for them.

They won't let your in laws come and visit for a short while, yet they are knowingly and willfully letting MILLIONS of illegals enter through a NON BORDER down south. That makes me sooo angry and that is why I think the topic of immigration IS related and IS important to this site and maybe now some of us will understand why it was important to post those articles.....

I guess this is why some parents are FORCED to immigrate to US.  Just so that they can visit their kids' family. :angry:

213733[/snapback]

Joanne, that's exactly what happened to a co-worker (Russian). Her family had been coming each year to the USA since the early 1980s. After 9/11/2001, they were denied any visa to the USA. So the coworker had to begin immigration process for them.

213831[/snapback]

I know quite a few Chinese immigrants in US and Canada. Most parents have visited at least once. And they all choose to return to China. Some might filed an extension to make the visit year-long, so that they can help taking care of grandkids. I haven't heard of a single case where parents immigrated to US (only from people I know). For elder people like my parents, it is more comfortable to live in China, even though they have to be seperated from their sons and daughter. However being denied of visiting their children's home is very cruel.

Does this have anything to do with human rights? i hope this is not about politics.

With all the attention on immigration right now yours may be a complelling news story. Perhaps if you contacted your local newspaper they would do one. There was a pulitzer winning news story here in Portland years back about the INS here. Afterward there was a big shake up and things changed for the better.

With all the attention on immigration right now yours may be a complelling news story.  Perhaps if you contacted your local newspaper they would do one. There was a pulitzer winning news story here in Portland years back about the INS here.  Afterward there was a big shake up and things changed for the better.

213970[/snapback]

Good idea!