i dont wanna say China stinks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
You are what you eat.

213533[/snapback]

This is dead on. I could smell garlic on almost everyone in China, and trust me, as a recovering smoker of over thirty years, I can't smell much. It gets in the clothes and lingers even after washing.

What you drink as well. Milk is the principle cause of the oder for Western folks--as smelt by Chinese.

You are what you eat.

213533[/snapback]

This is dead on. I could smell garlic on almost everyone in China, and trust me, as a recovering smoker of over thirty years, I can't smell much. It gets in the clothes and lingers even after washing.

What you drink as well. Milk is the principle cause of the oder for Western folks--as smelt by Chinese.

Milk? Oh God and I'm a milkaholic! :ph34r: I'll go though a gallon in 2 days easy. Jen is like so many here. She doesn't use nor need deoderant. The occasional perfume maybee but that's about it.

Milk? Oh God and I'm a milkaholic! :ph34r: I'll go though a gallon in 2 days easy. Jen is like so many here. She doesn't use nor need deoderant. The occasional perfume maybee but that's about it.

Fellow Americans don't smell it as most everyone drinks Milk here. But most Chinese do not drink milk so the oder produced from Milk drinkers are noticible. You're fine in the US. :lol:

You are what you eat.

213533[/snapback]

Very interesting.. I thought my wife smelt a little soybean'ish instead :lol:

Instead of saying that joke of "chi dou fu", I'll have to say, "wen dou fu" :ph34r:

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

Man o' man...

If you've ever smelled some of the food my wife cooks!!!

Heavy spice and lots o fish (mostly tilapia and ginger root)

AND...

She smells like a flower after a fresh rain...

I, on the other hand, sleep light and get hot very easily. Which means I perspire when I sleep when sleeping with a blanket. My wife complains that my "pillow smell and she has to wash all time".

Then... don't sleep with 4 blankets on the damn bed and on top of me all night... (the last one is not all too bad) ;)

It really depends on the city and people here in China. People from the countryside tend to have more of a hygene problem and people in the North tend to take less showers. Taking the subway in Shanghai in the summer is something very difficult to do, as you do get a few that have a very strong stench. So public transportation is a problem. The same thing is true though of a crowded subway in NYC.

On the other hand, the common comment about Western men from Chinese is also the smell. Because it is different, it is more pronounced. Most can't not stand strong perfume here in China. My son uses a particular brand (Tommy H) and his Chinese friends all complain he smell like a XXXXXX.

The food stinks (though it sure taste good)

The bathrooms stink.

The almost everything stinks, except the lil lady. And she drinks milk.

On a side note:

I know a tall very white caucasian lady in America who can sweat and swaet and swaet and never have any odor. Even after 3 days. She never has a scent of any kind. WHY? Who knows. She shaved as often as any other American lady. She eats like most Americans. I have known her over 20 years and nothing has changed, she still don't stink.

Maybe I should add that even though I had nose surgery which mad me very sensitive to smells, I never recall smelling any Chinese body oder in 4 trips. Not even in a disco in Xian with all the youth sweating. One warm visit to Beijing. Never smelled a person, just a lot of things.

It surprises me when Y'all post about the odor in the bank and on subways. Some of those men I worked with over there claimed to shower once a week. But that was winter in Xian, Chengdu, and a couple of other points way South. Maybe there is something to this milk thingie.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, milk products and fatty meats give us westerners a distinctve reek. Kimchee gives Koreans theirs (hoo-boy). And Chinese have their own as well. Jun always used deodorant, and often complained to me about how Chinese guys do not. She definately noticed. She always tried to subtely turn her male friends on to the concept, most of them refused thinking of it as effeminate.

Her brother however got his as a "gift", and had no real choice but to comply with big sister. :lol:

I lived in Guangdong for four years and down there they only have two seasons: summer and almost summer. To get on a crowded bus late in the afternoon was an olfactory adventure. :angry:

As for my darling Lili, she only sweats at the right time.... :angry: