When does green card/ss# really arrive?

I can't help you as far as the green card since Jen is K1 and our process is much different. I believe the SS# is the same though and you will need to find the closest SS office. You can find a form online to apply plus you will need a birth cert, pasport with visa and I-94. If all is in order, they will issue a number in person that day. Otherwise it will be sent by mail once they finish processing.

Did you get her name added to the postal delivery recipient list for your home? If not get to the post office and take care of this because it can cause things to be returned.

Give it another week and if you don't receive anything make a phone call to ask about the card.

As Jim said, hit the SSA and get the card issued. Seems like checking the box on the DS-230 is not too reliable.

I would add that you inform the local SS office that indeed the DS-230 was checked off and that you expected to already receive the SS card.

Good Luck

Hello guys, I arrived here in USA on March 28. and until now I haven't got my green card and ss# in the mail. When do you think I should receive? For those CR1 who are already in the USA could you give me any idea and what did you do please? Thank you.

:lol: JR

207237[/snapback]

My wife received her Social Security Card 10 days after arrival in the mail, we went to the Social Security Office and applied, they did mention that we would need to go to the Post Office and register her as a resident at our address, her green card arrived within 3 weeks.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

Zhenshu arrived here in December, 2005, and we waited for what seemed an eternity for her Green Card. I believe it finally arrived about five weeks later. Not very green!

The Social Security card never showed up so we just went to the local SS Office (luckily, we had one) and got it "in the works" in about an hour.

Of course they send it to you within "a week to ten days", but the SS official was kind enough to agree to call with the number (technically improper or illegal) so we could file our income taxes. In the interim I used the opportunity to to make my wife a fake SS card on my computer as an April Fool's joke.

She was thrilled she got her "card" so soon, and was really impressed by the speed of American bureauocracy!

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)