When should I contact my senator

I filed I129F petition for my fiance in May 2005. He had the first interview on Nov 10th, 2005 but didn't get the K1 visa because of his former Communist Party membership. We submitted the document to explain his involvement with the party on Nov 16th, 2005 and was asked to wait for the response. We were told that we should hear response within three months. But now it has been more than three months and we still haven't heard anything from GUZ. I emailed GUZ two weeks ago but didn't get any response either. Should I contact my senator for help? Or I should be more patient and wait for a couple more weeks? Any suggestion?

let it run to the 4th month, then ask your senator to make the inquiry. In the past I would have said immediately, but I think because I had so many inquiries I was punished, they told me the other day that my wife's interview date is middle of June... that will make it eight months after the package arrived at GUZ

good luck....

Edited by HanLi (see edit history)
I filed I129F petition for my fiance in May 2005. He had the first interview on Nov 10th, 2005 but didn't get the K1 visa because of his former Communist Party membership. We submitted the document to explain his involvement with the party on Nov 16th, 2005 and was asked to wait for the response. We were told that we should hear response within three months. But now it has been more than three months and we still haven't heard anything from GUZ. I emailed GUZ two weeks ago but didn't get any response either. Should I contact my senator for help? Or I should be more patient and wait for a couple more weeks? Any suggestion?

199871[/snapback]

In this situation I can see nothing wrong with having a member of congress request a status on the case. Be sure to go to their office and explain the situation in person, it seems to help because they see you are a real live person instead of another voice on the phone.

It seems in most cases your Representative might be a bit more proactive compared to a Senator's office, but if you can do both go for it.

The whole situation of party membership is a left over from the cold war and the latitude given to the VO's to approve a visa in this type of situation is often ignored by the VO's themselves for whatever reason.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)
let it run to the 4th month, then ask your senator to make the inquiry.  In the past I would have said immediately, but I think because I had so many inquiries I was punished, they told me the other day that my wife's interview date is middle of June...  that will make it eight months after the package arrived at GUZ

good luck....

199874[/snapback]

Thank you. I will wait two more weeks then. I definitely don't want to irritate them. <_<

let it run to the 4th month, then ask your senator to make the inquiry.  In the past I would have said immediately, but I think because I had so many inquiries I was punished, they told me the other day that my wife's interview date is middle of June...  that will make it eight months after the package arrived at GUZ

good luck....

199874[/snapback]

Thank you. I will wait two more weeks then. I definitely don't want to irritate them. :rolleyes:

199898[/snapback]

Being your first request for help I do not think you will be punished. I suggest your Senator and Congressman. They will say it will take them 4 to 6 weeks anyway.

Please try it.

Larry

I wish you the best in this.

I am one who tends to go to the top first, like mchitiea, but I did not in this case, for no reason. You seem gentle and that is good. These are your public servants and I feel if you have a good attitude toward them you will be treated in kind. Maybe I am a niave optimst though, since so many have experience here in CFL I dont have.

In fact go to the real top and write the President, then Senators, and then Congressman, if you want. Why not? I think the more letters then the overall help it gives to this overall cause we all have. Just write letters polite, optimistic and humbly request what you want. Good idea to visit in person as well I think. Also you can both FedEx and Fax the letter so they can see you want to make sure it arrives, if you cant go in person.

let it run to the 4th month, then ask your senator to make the inquiry.?In the past I would have said immediately, but I think because I had so many inquiries I was punished, they told me the other day that my wife's interview date is middle of June...?that will make it eight months after the package arrived at GUZ

good luck....

199874[/snapback]

Thank you. I will wait two more weeks then. I definitely don't want to irritate them. :D

199898[/snapback]

Being your first request for help I do not think you will be punished. I suggest your Senator and Congressman. They will say it will take them 4 to 6 weeks anyway.

Please try it.

Larry

200038[/snapback]

It has been over 4 months now. I really cannot wait any longer. I emailed my senator today. Hopefully she will help. :)

Meantime, should I do something else? Should I call DOS? DHS? CIS? Should I email GUZ again? :P :huh: :vava:

Guest pushbrk
let it run to the 4th month, then ask your senator to make the inquiry.?In the past I would have said immediately, but I think because I had so many inquiries I was punished, they told me the other day that my wife's interview date is middle of June...?that will make it eight months after the package arrived at GUZ

good luck....

199874[/snapback]

Thank you. I will wait two more weeks then. I definitely don't want to irritate them. :D

199898[/snapback]

Please try it.

Larry

200038[/snapback]

It has been over 4 months now. I really cannot wait any longer. I emailed my senator today. Hopefully she will help. :)

Meantime, should I do something else? Should I call DOS? DHS? CIS? Should I email GUZ again? :P :huh: :vava:

201163[/snapback]

As far as politicians are concerned, it is better to go to their local office in person and visit with their staff. An email may be ignored. Your presense will not be.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Contact your US Senator by telephone. Locate their telephone number here:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_info...enators_cfm.cfm

...then, call your local office. Ask to speak with the person that's been delegated to handle immigration. You will be asked to complete a form, of which your signature is required. You can ask them to fax you this form, and then, fax it back.

There is no intimidation or fist pounding required when you work with these delegees. They are there to help you, but you must be proactive, and persistent. Make sure you document all your telephone calls and conversations. Get their names, record the dates and times of day that you've spoken, or left messages. If you call and leave a message, don't wait to be called back. Wait an hour or so and call back again, then, leave another message. They soon will get the idea that you are indeed persistent, level-headed, and serious.

Again, your Senators offices are there to help you. Use them. Speak to them, and get to know them. If you want to walk into their offices, you can, but it's not required.

Dont wait. Go to the office's of your Government represenatives in person. Bring pics of you and your S.O. and establish a personal relationship with the administrator. You will be amazed what they can accomplish if they really become involved.

201554[/snapback]

Thank you all for your advice. I will go to the office ASAP.

Just an update. I called DOS today and found out my case was still pending and the last update timestamp for my case is Jan 16th, 2006. I asked how much longer it might take and the lady told me it could take up to 18 months and they cannot expedite the process. :clapping: Got so upset at the answer. I am now actually wondering what senators could help me with? Can they help to expedite the process?

Another bad news. Had a fight with my S.O and blamed him again on his former CCP membership. Cannot control my temper lately. :clapping:

Guest ShaQuaNew
Dont wait. Go to the office's of your Government represenatives in person. Bring pics of you and your S.O. and establish a personal relationship with the administrator. You will be amazed what they can accomplish if they really become involved.

201554[/snapback]

Thank you all for your advice. I will go to the office ASAP.

Just an update. I called DOS today and found out my case was still pending and the last update timestamp for my case is Jan 16th, 2006. I asked how much longer it might take and the lady told me it could take up to 18 months and they cannot expedite the process. :( Got so upset at the answer. I am now actually wondering what senators could help me with? Can they help to expedite the process?

Another bad news. Had a fight with my S.O and blamed him again on his former CCP membership. Cannot control my temper lately. :angry:

201587[/snapback]

Don't pay too much attention to what those DOS people say. They have a book in front of them with answers designed to upset and annoy you. This process just ain't easy, and yes, it can be trying at times.

edit...

...and DON'T WAIT! Your Senators can help you. You should have done that already, so get busy :P They may be able to determine whether or not your case is being held in abeyance, but whatever they do, it's a heckuva lot more than you can do....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

good luck....

199874[/snapback]

Thank you. I will wait two more weeks then. I definitely don't want to irritate them. :violin4:

199898[/snapback]

You would think the US would stand down on our position on Communism, 1. it dont work, as should be obvious, 2. china has really relaxed its policy and has improved the way it treats its people, even if they did find a prison that was harvesting organs for sale 3. china is not our enemy. Why does the us still have to have a hang up?

Do you have the 3 month comment in writing ?

I also would not count on DOS to give any type of helpful feedback right now.. it's sitting in GUZ's lap... I'd keep emailing them in the mean time as you check out your options.

I guess I would want to know for certain where the case really is and that they are still processing it in GUZ. Any chance you are planning a visit to china ? You could make a trip down to talk to a VO at an American Citizen Hour about your case...

And you know the last part: don't blame your SO.. yell and complain here to us at CFL instead... We'll listen and understand... :violin4: