So there I was... chatting with my SO about life and what not, then out of the blue she says,"Wait, I sing you." At first I thought I mis-heard her. I'm sure she meant "missing" or "something for"... not "sing". But Lo and Behold, she starts this beautiful Chinese song and sings magnificently for about 2 or 3 minutes. My jaw just dropped.

I've dated many women here in the US... do you know many have sang to me? NONE. Not even after dating them for a couple of years were they comfortable enough to sing to me. I sing my brains off in the shower and while driving, but I would never sing to someone I'm interested in. However.. here I am... 5 phone calls later... listening to the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.

Ok, I'm guessing one of two things...

1) I got lucky and my SO is just a confident, unique wee bonnie lass.

2) Everyone's SO sings to them and singing aloud is pretty common in China.

What's the dilly-o?

Singing is very common, on my first trip we went to my wife's English class and as part of a break in class different people would sing to the class. Some voices were good, some bad, but everyone was pleased to listen and encourage each other.

When my wife is exceptionally happy, she will just start singing. We have discovered a number of songs where she begins in Chinese and I will join in English. The first time she about fell over, thinking it was a Chinese only song. :cheering:

I remember Lucy singing to me when we first met up on Yahoo chat. She sang the happy birthday song to me in English. :lol:

Karaoke is very popular in China. We went to many Karaoke places during my visits and Lucy was not shy about picking up a microphone and belting out a tune.

I have "The Best of Faye Wong" CD in my car right now and listen to it constantly. Helps me learn and Lucy loves the music.

Be prepared for the day when your SO asks you to sing for her in front of her family and friends. Another Chinese custom.... :lol:

198868[/snapback]

Are you serious?!

198901[/snapback]

I agree with Jesse, this is a custom and I was asked to sing for her during one of my visits.

I made up a song called "forever love Lucy"

really cheesy but she was so moved that I did that. I think that sealed the deal for her.

Be prepared for the day when your SO asks you to sing for her in front of her family and friends. Another Chinese custom.... :lol:

198868[/snapback]

Are you serious?!

198901[/snapback]

I agree with Jesse, this is a custom and I was asked to sing for her during one of my visits.

I made up a song called "forever love Lucy"

really cheesy but she was so moved that I did that. I think that sealed the deal for her.

198926[/snapback]

Just go out for karaoke and sing the

"I Love Tsing Tao" song.

Guest ShaQuaNew

198868[/snapback]

Are you serious?!

198901[/snapback]

As you're seeing from the responses, singing is very important to Chinese people. They are NOT in the least bit inhibited and don't really understand American shyness at singing in front of crowds. It can really be quite rewarding to participate once you get past the nervousness....

During my first trip to China wifey was washing my clothes ( in the hotel bathtub) She started singing a chinese toon. dude, the old gal has got a set of pipes. It was nice and then some. Later I sang for her. She has never asked me to sing for her family! wonder why??

My Yonghua did not sing for me, however, she did a cultural dance. (See my post in "Religious Freedom has improved since 2000") I will never forget that experience.

So there I was... chatting with my SO about life and what not, then out of the blue she says,"Wait, I sing you." At first I thought I mis-heard her. I'm sure she meant "missing" or "something for"... not "sing". But Lo and Behold, she starts this beautiful Chinese song and sings magnificently for about 2 or 3 minutes. My jaw just dropped.

I've dated many women here in the US... do you know many have sang to me? NONE. Not even after dating them for a couple of years were they comfortable enough to sing to me. I sing my brains off in the shower and while driving, but I would never sing to someone I'm interested in. However.. here I am... 5 phone calls later... listening to the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.

Ok, I'm guessing one of two things...

1) I got lucky and my SO is just a confident, unique wee bonnie lass.

2) Everyone's SO sings to them and singing aloud is pretty common in China.

What's the dilly-o?

198823[/snapback]

On my first trip to Shanghai, Jie sang "You are my sunshine" to me. In return, I 'sang' back to her. I also never experienced this in my life. Perhaps there is still an innocence left in the Chinese culture that is long gone in the US.