To the Chinese ladies here at CFL,

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question.  My wife wants a western name and I am not good at giving her good advice.

193233[/snapback]

My wife will keep her given name. She has not even gave this a thought, I’m very happy with her name as it is, I don't what her to Americanize her name or give up her culture.

193269[/snapback]

Yeah, what Bill said.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

I was surprised to learn that my wife intends to take on my last name as hers when she gets here. Also I believe she said she will use her name she used in school when learning English. I don't remember what it is, but frankly I am disapointed. I will call her by her Chinese name always. I already have all my family using it. So if she changes the last name, fine, but even that I feel no offense because of her custom. But she says she will follow my custom when here. OK, but honey keep your given name. :(

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)
Just curious, Joanne, Dannie, Bessie, Gypsy, Chinabird, LiLi, Lovesick,..... and all the other Chinese ladies here, how and why did you choose, aquire, your English names?  Or, have or will you choose English names?  And, what are your Chinese names and meaning.

(I wish I'd posted this under Cultural and Language.)

193227[/snapback]

My English name is Lily... as my chinese name Lei. I just chose it the first letter is same as my chinese name. I do not want find a very complicated english for me. My chinese name meaning: flower bud... :D

• 8 months later...

I was surprised to learn that my wife intends to take on my last name as hers when she gets here. Also I believe she said she will use her name she used in school when learning English. I don't remember what it is, but frankly I am disapointed. I will call her by her Chinese name always. I already have all my family using it. So if she changes the last name, fine, but even that I feel no offense because of her custom. But she says she will follow my custom when here. OK, but honey keep your given name. :(

For practical purposes, I think it'll be much easier for the Chinese SOs to have an American name in America. Where ever she goes, she'll need to use her name and if it's Fang Xiao Zhen (for example) most Americans will always pronounce her name incorrectly. I think after a while, it'll get on her nerves. You may be able to pronounce her name correctly, but most others will not. If she changes her name to Joan Smith or Barbara Jones, I think almost everyone in the US can pronounce her name correctly then. :lol:

Also, Chinese names have meaning to other Chinese people--when looking at the actual Chinese characters--but when romanized with pin yin it means absolutely nothing, not even to another Chinese person. So having a Chinese name in the US really loses much of its practicality and utility.

It seems, as time goes by, that many of my Chinese friends have and use the English name that I have given them. My wife and I very good bilingual Chinese friend, Mary, will often introduce someone new and tell me they want me to give them an English name. I will ask what their Chinese name is and then try to think of a similar sounding English name. 9 times out of 10 it is almost impossible to match, so I will at least try to give them a name that is unique and easy to say.

The reason for wanting a English name is exactly what Lance states in the post above (yes, a no brainer). They are here in America and want to have an easy transistion into America and they understand that their names are not easy for us to remember nor pronounce. Of course, keeping their Chinese name inhibits this. Some, however, cling to their Chinese name too. And, I a prime example of one who has difficulty remembering it.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

The reason for wanting a Chinese name is exactly what Lance states in the post above (yes, a no brainer). They are here in America and want to have an easy transistion into America and they understand that their names are not easy for us to remember nor pronounce. Of course, keeping their Chinese name inhibits this.

:unsure:

Chinese name, Dennis? Or English name?

The reason for wanting a Chinese name is exactly what Lance states in the post above (yes, a no brainer). They are here in America and want to have an easy transistion into America and they understand that their names are not easy for us to remember nor pronounce. Of course, keeping their Chinese name inhibits this.

Dennis is European Irish.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No I mean, in the above quote, you state the reason for wanting a Chinese name. Did you mean English name or did you really mean Chinese name?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No I mean, in the above quote, you state the reason for wanting a Chinese name. Did you mean English name or did you really mean Chinese name?

Of course, their reason for wanting an ENGLISH name.....I'm tired. Edit made above. :)

it would be disrepectful to change it myself.

This is very interesting. I think Tony's statement here says a lot about Chinese culture. Much more respectful of parent's wishes.

This brings up an interesting philosophical point. Should the individual being named respect the name given to him/her by a parent. Or should the individual, once reaching adulthood, have the right to name him or her self? I suppose "right" is not the word I'm looking for. As obviously an adult is accorded the legal right to change his or her name, but the right as far as respect goes, to change his or her name without being seen as disrespectful?

I'm curious what others think.