San Gabriel, CA Meeting

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are in for the 25th as well.

Couple of thoughts....

The Arboretum is huge and meeting there is a great idea but to get out for lunch time in San Gabriel would be difficult. Traffic is vvveeerrryyy slow on Valley road on Fri - Sun. Parking (even at that big mall) is difficult as well. Many of the restaraunts will be full or nearly so at lunch and dinner time as well.

There are several malls right near each other with the smallest Hilton hotel I have ever seen, right across from that mall. Tons of food, herb, dvd, phone and clothes shops all right in that area!

What kind of Chinese food do people want?

Maybe we should consider one type for lunch and a different type for dinner and get a count. Then we could try and make a reservation.

Louis

Edited by natrigon (see edit history)

Couple of thoughts....

The Arboretum is huge and meeting there is a great idea but to get out for lunch time in San Gabriel would be difficult.  Traffic is vvveeerrryyy slow on Valley road on Fri - Sun.  Parking (even at that big mall) is difficult as well.  Many of the restaraunts will be full or nearly so at lunch and dinner time as well.

There are several malls right near each other with the smallest Hilton hotel I have ever seen, right across from that mall.  Tons of food, herb, dvd, phone and clothes shops all right in that area!

Maybe we should consider one type for lunch and a different type for dinner and get a count.  Then we could try and make a reservation.

Louis

190943[/snapback]

Hi,

Louis, I originally suggested the Arboretum since we would have room for our group no matter how many people show up!

I thought we could make a day at the arboretum and then have a nice Chinese dinner. If you think the families would rather shop than see GREAT natural surroundings, the greenhouses, orchid and fern collections etc then we can just meet at the mall. Someone who knows the mall well will have to designate a meeting place.

Or we could still meet at the arboretum, but just head for the mall. I personally would prefer a nature walk and a quiet lawn to sit on.

Meeting at 10:00 and trying to get a restaurant elsewhere for a 12:00 would make even entering the arboretum questionable.

-James

Edited by jemmyell (see edit history)

Couple of thoughts....

The Arboretum is huge and meeting there is a great idea but to get out for lunch time in San Gabriel would be difficult.  Traffic is vvveeerrryyy slow on Valley road on Fri - Sun.  Parking (even at that big mall) is difficult as well.  Many of the restaraunts will be full or nearly so at lunch and dinner time as well.

There are several malls right near each other with the smallest Hilton hotel I have ever seen, right across from that mall.  Tons of food, herb, dvd, phone and clothes shops all right in that area!

Maybe we should consider one type for lunch and a different type for dinner and get a count.  Then we could try and make a reservation.

Louis

190943[/snapback]

Hi,

Louis, I originally suggested the Arboretum since we would have room for our group no matter how many people show up!

I thought we could make a day at the arboretum and then have a nice Chinese dinner. If you think the families would rather shop than see GREAT natural surroundings, the greenhouses, orchid and fern collections etc then we can just meet at the mall. Someone who knows the mall well will have to designate a meeting place.

Or we could still meet at the arboretum, but just head for the mall. I personally would prefer a nature walk and a quiet lawn to sit on.

Meeting at 10:00 and trying to get a restaurant elsewhere for a 12:00 would make even entering the arboretum questionable.

-James

190945[/snapback]

We can play it by ear. I like the idea of going for a nature walk myself. Lunch does not necessarly have to be a noon. I was actually thinking of a late lunch actually for the reasons you state ( around 3:00 pm ). I guess that may mean bringing a snack to the arboretum.

Couple of thoughts....

The Arboretum is huge and meeting there is a great idea but to get out for lunch time in San Gabriel would be difficult.  .....

Louis

190943[/snapback]

Hi,

I thought we could make a day at the arboretum and then have a nice Chinese dinner....

-James

190945[/snapback]

We can play it by ear. I like the idea of going for a nature walk myself. Lunch does not necessarly have to be a noon. I was actually thinking of a late lunch actually for the reasons you state ( around 3:00 pm ). I guess that may mean bringing a snack to the arboretum.

190972[/snapback]

James,

I for one agree with both of you. Earlier I understood an earlier post to mean something different. I thought you wanted to meet at the arboretum, see it and then go for lunch around noon. I was just pointing out that it would be difficult.

Maybe the arboretum has a picnic area?

Louis

Someone should post a list of everyone who's signed up so far. Do you need to have a local SO to be invited?

190969[/snapback]

Local SO's are not required. Only requirement is having read this post. :rolleyes:

190976[/snapback]

Jim I think they do have a city ordinance that only Laowai with local (Chinese) SOs may walk the streets unaccompanied. Perhaps we should issue stickers to those coming solo that say "My SO is Chinese".