your perception of chinese

I just returned from a visit(Nanning). I was showing several pictures to an American born Chinese woman(here) who asked me what was my perception of a "Chinese" person before I met my SO and traveled to China and how had my perceptions changed.

For the life of me; she took me by surprise. I actually had to think for a moment: what did I think? That Chinese restaurants (here) were dirty? That they were running around in rick shaws(there)? I was really at a loss. I am so immersed into the country; it's people...trying to understand their history and culture...to enjoy the beauty of their country; it's architecture; it's people.

What has changed your myopic western view of the Chinese since meeting, courting, engaging, marrying a chinese SO?

Phil

On my first trip to china I studyed everything I could find on the internet about china and the people there. And when I arrived there I found out I should have spent my time doing other stuff. I was very happy with the real china that I found then I arrived. But everything I learned other than (hotpot) was totally not what I thought it would be.

I vividly remember learning on my first trip to China in 1999 that red star labeled, wool capped soldiers with guns were not on every corner. Further, what soldiers and police I did see had no interest in throwing this western devil in jail.

At that time the US had just bombed the Chinese Embassy in Yugoslavia. Even so, only one man confronted me about that incident. He left sputtering when I asked him "All governments make mistakes right?"

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)

I guess two things surprised me on my first trip:

- The very poor sanitation standards and the tremendous pollution ... I didn't think things would be that bad.

- The fact that everyone studies English in school for years ... yet the vast majority, in my experience, will not speak English with you.

Remember, my experience in Chongqing, not Beijing or Shanghai.

Most of the first person accounts I read were from the early 1990s and some of those were out of date. I found the experience dream like to say the least.

I expected some street confrontations and was happily disappointed.

As Jim commented the level of air pollution WAS (and remains) shocking. It is easier for me to visualize Dicken's novels now.

The condition of public bathrooms were ... well .... Remember Mick's post?

I didn't know what to think, really. Europe was always on my travel list, not Asia. When I met my wife online, I assumed she was looking for a better life, and that I needed to be wary of her just wanting to get here to get here.

I discovered that just wasn't the case, as she has had plenty of chances to come to the US and that she was not really looking for a better life, but rather looking for the right guy. If I opted to live in China, she would be quite happy, but she knows that it isn't really an option right now.

China was alot dirtier than I thought, and yeah, the pollution was pretty scary. I went to smaller towns, but I didn't feel like I was in the boonies or somewhere dangerous. It was alot safer than I expected, though I didn't see many police or military people like I expected.

Customs people were much nicer than the US ones too. The food was good.

I did discover the stories and maybe jokes about food in China were often true. Especially in Cantonese cuisine. Anything is fair game. I am pretty adventurous though, so it suits me fine.

I wasn't ready for the sheer size, scale, and volume of people in GZ, especially coming from a town as tiny as mine.

Never dared going to a public bathroom, having read about them before.

I went to China for the first time in October 2005. I also did not know what to expect. I had read about much of it here, so some things were no surprise. And thank god I read what I did.

But there were some things that stand out. I am pretty sure I was treated better there as a forigner than a foreigner would be treated here in the states. If it were not for a kind bank clerk who spoke good English I might never have left the airport. My SO had given me the cell # of her friend to call when I arrived, but dialing numbers there is a little different than dialing numbers here. What's more I had to find a calling card to even try to use the pubilc phone, and even after that I still couldn't figure it out or understand the prerecorded message on the phone.

The bank clerk dialed the number for me and contacted my SO's friend who let my SO know that I had arrived almost 9 hours early. She even kept an eye on me while I waited and checked with me twiced to make sure everything was ok.

Even on the plane a nice young man conversed with me. About nothing important, just being friendly. When the plane landed he showed me where to go and even offered to give me a ride to my hotel.

On my return trip while waiting in Guangzhou airport another young man sat next to me while I played solitare with a deck of cards. He just approached me, showed me a card trick or two, then taught me to play a card game (I barely got the basics down, but it helped pass the time). Soon his sister and cousin joined us, they were all very friendly and hospitable.

About the people in general; yes I saw the poverty and some poor living conditions. What impressed me the most is how happy most of them were. I have the feeling they do not take much for granted, and even the smallest blessings are blessings to be thankful for.

For as much population (I was there during China National Week) I saw only one instance of criminal mischief. I don't know what it was about but I saw 2 men chase after another from a store. That lasted about 1 minute as the man being chased dropped whatever it was he had taken and the chase ended. The only other confrontation was just after a man driving a car at Beihei had hit a girl on a moped.

The girl was not hurt, just shaken up I think. She was crying, understandably, and maybe cursing, I don't know. Honestly, I don't know how I never saw anymore accidents of this nature. The traffic there is crazy! I used to stand for long periods of time watching the intersection below my hotel window just knowing any minute there would be an accident but never saw one.

It was chaos! But as I watched I noticed it was more controlled than I thought. I soon became somewhat aware of how the controlled chaos worked, but I was still amazed nonetheless. There were some loose rules of the road I picked up on. The bigger vehicle has the row (which I had read before), they do stop at traffic lights, bicycles, mopeds and motorcycles get a headstart, but only a few seconds :D, after that it's every man/woman for themselves.

I really had no preconceived notions about the Chinese people or the Country, it was all new to me. One other thing I noticed is that they admire beauty and tradition. You can see it in the architecture, and the landscapes. But I also got the impression that they also admire the success the western world has achieved and can see alot of western influence there, but still keeping an eastern flavor to it ;)

All in all speaking about the Country and people I was fascinated. I hope to return soon, but mainly to see my SO. :rolleyes:

I didn't meet my husband before I went to China. But before I went there I had a very different picture in my head. I thought there were all bicycles and few cars- I read a lot of books before I went so I think I had imagined that it would be like China during the Cultural Revolution. I think it is very different to go for the first time to live rather than visiting or on vacation. I had thought it was great when I first got there- but I was getting fed up when I met my husband. He really helped me understand things like why would I have to go to dinner and functions with my school at the last minute (they knew, but I didn't until the last minute) and why did students show up at my door at six in the morning (I lived inside of the school) and stuff like that. I think everyone on here is lucky because knowing someone inside of the culture is indispensable.

I went to China for the first time in October 2005. I also did not know what to expect. I had read about much of it here, so some things were no surprise. And thank god I read what I did.

But there were some things that stand out. I am pretty sure I was treated better there as a forigner than a foreigner would be treated here in the states. If it were not for a kind bank clerk who spoke good English I might never have left the airport. My SO had given me the cell # of her friend to call when I arrived, but dialing numbers there is a little different than dialing numbers here. What's more I had to find a calling card to even try to use the pubilc phone, and even after that I still couldn't figure it out or understand the prerecorded message on the phone.

The bank clerk dialed the number for me and contacted my SO's friend who let my SO know that I had arrived almost 9 hours early. She even kept an eye on me while I waited and checked with me twiced to make sure everything was ok.

Even on the plane a nice young man conversed with me. About nothing important, just being friendly. When the plane landed he showed me where to go and even offered to give me a ride to my hotel.

On my return trip while waiting in Guangzhou airport another young man sat next to me while I played solitare with a deck of cards. He just approached me, showed me a card trick or two, then taught me to play a card game (I barely got the basics down, but it helped pass the time). Soon his sister and cousin joined us, they were all very friendly and hospitable.

About the people in general; yes I saw the poverty and some poor living conditions. What impressed me the most is how happy most of them were. I have the feeling they do not take much for granted, and even the smallest blessings are blessings to be thankful for.

For as much population (I was there during China National Week) I saw only one instance of criminal mischief. I don't know what it was about but I saw 2 men chase after another from a store. That lasted about 1 minute as the man being chased dropped whatever it was he had taken and the chase ended. The only other confrontation was just after a man driving a car at Beihei had hit a girl on a moped.

The girl was not hurt, just shaken up I think. She was crying, understandably, and maybe cursing, I don't know. Honestly, I don't know how I never saw anymore accidents of this nature. The traffic there is crazy! I used to stand for long periods of time watching the intersection below my hotel window just knowing any minute there would be an accident but never saw one.

It was chaos! But as I watched I noticed it was more controlled than I thought. I soon became somewhat aware of how the controlled chaos worked, but I was still amazed nonetheless. There were some loose rules of the road I picked up on. The bigger vehicle has the row (which I had read before), they do stop at traffic lights, bicycles, mopeds and motorcycles get a headstart, but only a few seconds :D, after that it's every man/woman for themselves.

I really had no preconceived notions about the Chinese people or the Country, it was all new to me. One other thing I noticed is that they admire beauty and tradition. You can see it in the architecture, and the landscapes. But I also got the impression that they also admire the success the western world has achieved and can see alot of western influence there, but still keeping an eastern flavor to it ;)

All in all speaking about the Country and people I was fascinated. I hope to return soon, but mainly to see my SO. :rolleyes:

188723[/snapback]

I definitely would have to agree about friendliness. Alot of people were genuinely curious about me, especially in the smaller towns. Some were rude, and clearly didnt like foreigners, but for the most part people were kind and generous, even if they weren't related to me. My relatives were so generous I began to feel guilty from all the things they did for me. (I made up for it with New Year's... they got alot of gifts from my wife and I).

This kindness will not be seen, however, in two places... On the road, and waiting in any sort of line. Every instance of those two kinds of events, I was blown away by the chaos and rudeness. I did see one moped accident, and only one time a line cutter was chastized into submission :greenblob:

At work I had worked with many Asians and found that we developed a good raporte, better that they did with others. I only think that it was because I treated them as an equal and I think that with other Americans they may have felt some bad vibes. I carried this attitude with me to China and found that people seem to sense how I feel. That and a smile breaks the ice every where.

By the time I got to China, I had already spent a few months in Asia and was used to many people, many cars and bad air. I met friendly people everywhere and everyone seemed happy.

I never athought that polution could be so bad. Taking a boat trip on a large lake really got me down. All the trash was tossed in the lake and a beautiful setting was ruined.

I think that Taipai has the worst air in Asia from all the motor scooters.

I am not really sure what I expected and it was nothing like I expected too? Talking to my SO for over a year before we meet she had changed my mind on how it was over there. I tried reading about what to expect but it was nothing like what I had read. I just need to learn the language to feel really comfortable there. I never in a million years thought I would set foot in China. Now I cant wait to go back.

The biggest shock to me was the driving. Wow! I too thought that there were going to be wrecks everywhere. The pollution didnt hit me so hard, but the shear amount of people that were everwhere did. I foudn the peole there pretty nice too. The first nite I was there we went to Tiananmen Square some guy said something that My wife wouldnt tell me. Other then that I just got a few looks from some of the younger guys a few times. Which seemed to only happen when we were holding hands. Other then those few instances everyone was nice. Everyone we asked to take pics of us together was more then happy to do so.

Edited by Chad (see edit history)
At that time the US had just bombed the Chinese Embassy in Yugoslavia.  Even so, only one man confronted me about that incident.  He left sputtering when I asked him "All governments make mistakes right?"

188582[/snapback]

The bombing mishap was either flawed technology or it was intentional. Whatever it was, the bomb went through and into the basement of the embassy building where it dismantled and the parts were sent to China for further scrutiny and of course the Chinese got the technology. They probably copied and improved on the guided missile technology by now.

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)

Before meeting my SO my idea of the Chinese people was that they where always going around hungry, owned restuarants, laundry companies or where damn good tailors. After going there two times I found them to be very family oriented, very caring, with a great work ethic, work very hard for their living, and they where very friendly to me. I did not see any wool hat 21st century Genghis Khans going around with swords or machine guns or asking for papers from everyone at every street corner. Hell the police do not even carry guns there. I even asked a Police Captain why the majority of police do not carry guns like the police do in America. His response was simple. He told me that guns where not allowed to be carried in China!

All in all I came away from China with a very different view from a year ago in my life.