Hi all,

My fiance wants to upgrade her computer. She has found a decent system for about 6000 rmb. That seems a bit much to me given the prices of computers here in the states. Is it possible to bring a desk top computer system into China?  Are they compatible? any advice?

Thanks, Dave :greenblob:

Besides the voltage, I suppose they are.. Although that in particular would stop me cold considering the delicate electronics involved, even with a current regulator

I wouldn't go through the customs clearance hassle.. Might end end up cost you more than 6000 RMB

All,

Well, I gave in and ordered myself a new personal development machine. It is a thing of beauty.

Pentium 4, 2.40 GHz CPU

256 MB RDRAM (I am going to upgrade to 768 after it arrives)

Vid: 9700 Raedon 128 MB w/TV and DVI out

18 inch flat panel

and of course all the other bells and whistles.

Maybe this will help inspire me to complete and push the code for Candle v1.0. In case anyone is wondering, I use freeware PHP/mySQL code for what you see as "Candle" today. I have oft. considered it "version 0.5".

A while back, I started coding during my own time, a full Java/JSP Application for "Candle" that sits archived on several burned CDs that I have never pushed to production.

P.J.

Import Duties of selective items : radio receivers (50%); pagers (25%); television (50%); parts for transmission apparatus (20%); parts for radar equipment (12%); parts for radio (15%); telephone sets (20%); record-players (40-60%); tape recorders (50-60%); video recorders (50-60%); home electric appliances (40%); shavers (60%); calculating machines (20-30%); typewriters (20%).... and computers (9-20%).

Read the whole story Here

The only problem you will have plugging the computer in is an adapter. I believe most PC's have a voltage switch on the back to go between 120/240. I took a laptop on my last trip and the normal power converter that reduces wall power to computer power will handle both voltages. As it was in my suitcase, I cannot tell you anything about duty.

I have noticed that most prices are higher in China for some reason. I assume it is a govt tax that makes prices of certain things higher. But, 6000

seems like a pretty good price for a complete system.

The only problem you will have plugging the computer in is an adapter. I believe most PC's have a voltage switch on the back to go between 120/240.  I took a laptop on my last trip and the normal power converter that reduces wall power to computer power will handle both voltages. As it was in my suitcase, I cannot tell you anything about duty.

I have noticed that most prices are higher in China for some reason. I assume it is a govt tax that makes prices of certain things higher. But, 6000

seems like a pretty good price for a complete system.

yes, laptops are no problems... they all have a power auto-switch... But I doubt about desktops though.. even new ones..

I once mailed an old laptop to my then-girlfriend/now-wife. The customs people confiscated it and held it in their office. Luckily my gf's(wife's) brother in law had a relative in the customs office in Harbin, and they got it out for us for 200rmb. Just goes to show that taking expensive electronic eq is not always a good idea.

If you want a cheap computer, just wait till she gets to the US and buy a Dell. They are made from the same parts as most Chinese computers (Dell buys components from Taiwan and mainland China), and are probably about the same price. Plus, if you buy a Chinese machine, you wont have a warrantee that is effective in the U.S..

Eric, I was talking about desk tops when I mentioned the switch. Both my desk tops have one. If you have a desk top, look and I bet you see it! Lap tops do not need the switch as they work from a universal power supply or a battery.

Another personal thing. And I am not picking on PJ but when I shop for a computer, I will go out of my way to buy something other than an Intel microprocessor. I feel that Intel uses unfair practices to attempt to get a monoply on the market. They will try to get computer manufactorers to only buy intel. If you will read PC Mag comparisons you will see that often another brand is better. I saw this first hand when I worked for Cyrix and they were trying to get a foot in the market. If you remember back aways, DELL used to offer different microprocessors but , the last time I looked, they only offered Intel. Monopoly is not good. Unfortunately Intel is suceeding.

AMD processors are just as good if not better and faster, and are usually cheaper. I use them whenever possible when I build my pcs

talking about computers, Yuhui just bought 5 color and black cartridges for my (ooops, our ) printer... 7 bucks a piece... vs 29 $ here.... Hope I won't have to bail her out of SFO airport jail ! :) :lol:

Speaking of computers in China vs computers US, computers out of the box are almost always cheaper in the US. I bought a fancy new Toshiba for Diana last visit home and it cost 11,600 yuan, in Chinese numbers.

The computer here is the same model number, almost identical, escept it has been downgraded from 256 ram to 128, and sometimes from 30g harddrive to 20, but the computer here in China is still about 16,000 yuan for a slower computer. Go figure. Skibum you are halfway right about the switch, because I have seen it many times in America, but over here in China almost never and I just about live in the computer cities here because I just love to look at all the low prices on software and of course DVDs. I have only seen 1 or 2 computers that had the switch over here. Most of them do not need the switch, because get real, how many of these people are going to go to the one or two countries that use 110 voltage. <_< 6000 for a computer is not bad but you can get the same price in America I believe, now if you can builod your own then you are in luck over here, because if you have friends you can build a great machine for almost nothing, but the prefab machines are usually more than the ones stateside as stated before. I would suggest the same thing as AZwolfman, use the old harddrive or better yet go out and buy an 80-120 g harddrive and put it in the new computer at home. Harddrives over here are usually cheaper here, and buy all the software you can afford for your luggage. If the harddrive is big enough many cd's will fit onto it for easy transport.

I have seen the same thing over here. Usually, it would be cheaper to buy the same computer in the US. Another problem with buying over here is that the pre-loaded software will be in Chinese. Makes sense, but I read only a few characters.

A note on the DVD's. The PSB hit the vendors really hard right before the Spring Festival and they have practically wiped out the cheapest DVDs. Supply and demand. The few people left are raising prices. Still only a dollar each when you can find them and the selection is poorer now. We used to get them for 5 RMB each.