take care of baby

We are going to have a baby in a year , but here we have some issues about taking care of the baby , as Chinese tradition , the grandparents take care of the baby if the young couple go to work daily , so . We are considering to get the visa for the grandmother come from China , but since she already has grandson to look after . That we need to find another way --give birth to baby in China , then leave the baby there to be taken by grandmother , but we are not sure the law in USA and in China will permit us to do that . hope we can get some advice here ,

Joanna

I second Yuanyang's advice. I heard there are many couples from foreign countries trying to find loopholes to come to the U.S. to have their child. The child automatically becomes a U.S. citizen if they are born here. I don't know all the legal beagle stuff that would affect the child if they are born on foreign soil. But my gut tells me it is a bad idea. At least consider the possibility that your child might run for the presidency someday? ;) S/he needs to be born in the U.S. in order to quality.

Oh, almost forgot. Congratz!!! :P :rolleyes: ;)

Chris

Edited by Chris+XiaoXia (see edit history)

Okay, as I understand it you want to leave the baby to be raised by the grandparents and bring it to live with you at a later time (how much later?).

You wanted to get a visa for grandmother to come but she wants to stay and care for her other grandchild.

As far as the letter of the law is concerned...you have 6 months to a year to use a K2 or K4 visa. If you don't use it in that time frame then it expires. If you have the baby in China and leave it there until you are "ready" for it and the visa has expired then you will have to file an I130 for the child...prove the baby is yours (usually birth certificate for everyone is enough) and wait until a visa number becomes available.

I will have to do some more reading...but A child born overseas to two US citizen parents acquires US citizenship at birth. Even if only one parent is a US citizen, the child may still acquire US citizenship, depending on how much time the US citizen parent had spent in the United States prior to the child’s birth. I think it is something like 5 years. When the child is born you need to apply as soon as possible to the consulate with all the appropriate paper work.

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_609.html

I am a Chinese. Our baby was born in China. She is a US citizen because her dad is one.

At the beginning we wished to leave the choice to her own when she reaches age 18. We even applied a Shanghai Hu Kou for her, and she made her first international travel to Tailand with a Chinese passport. However, when it was time to visit US, (I needed to apply for a tourist visa, so planed to do the same for her), the consular officer told us, she would not be allowed entering US with a non-US passport. So we gave up her Chinese citizenship, and obtained a US passport for her. So as to say, US citizenship is not an issue according to our own experience. Being a US citizen, your baby will need a resident permit to stay in China. You may consult the Visa Section of Chinese Police Bureau for that process.

However, I don't think it is a good idea to let grandparents raise your baby.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

you would consider to leave your newborn child in china and go to the USA without the baby..... WOW... this floors me......

I am a Chinese.  Our baby was born in China.  She is a US citizen because her dad is one.

At the beginning we wish to leave the choice to her own when she reaches age 18.  We even applied a Shanghai Hu Kou for her, and she made her first international travel to Tailand with a Chinese passport.  However, when it's time to visit US, (I need to apply for a tourist visa, so plan to do the same for her), the consular officer told us, she will not be allowed entering US with a non-US passport.  So we have to give up her Chinese citizenship, and obtain a US passport for her.  So as to say, US citizenship is not an issue according to our own experience.  Being a US citizen, your baby will need a resident permit to stay in China.  You may consult the Visa Section of Chinese Police Bureau for that process.

164293[/snapback]

Joanne -

So, your baby has a chinese citizenship at this time ? You plan to give her the choice to do as she wishes at 18 -- so your baby does not need a permit at this time correct ?

I guess we could do something similar. We could register for chinese citizenship at first, and then apply for US citizenship at a later time.

The other way is to apply for a visa for her mom to come here to help her.

My wife, Joanna, wants to go out to get more education at our local college here. So, she needs some help with the child caring.

Thanks for your input. I don't really know how to hanlde it at this time.

People have covered some of the reasons it might not be wise to leave you baby in China ... I would add that I think being away from your baby would be would be very difficult for you and you would miss such an exciting period of the baby's life.

It also seems, for several reasons, that it is not possible to bring grandmother here to take care of the baby.

Given all that, have you fully considered having your baby in the US and getting child care for the baby while Joanna goes to school? She may even be able to go to school in the evening when Jason could take care of the baby.

Since you have some time you should consider investigating the kinds of child care that might be available to you. There are American solutions with day care centers and the like. In more of the Chinese tradition you might even find an older lady that could come to your home when Joanna is at school. Who knows, it could even be an older lady of Chinese enthnicity.

You might find such a lady by advertisements in local newspapers, bulletin boards, etc. Another good source might be through a local church or Chinese association. Of course you would want to investigate this lady very carefully to make sure she is a good person.

I urge you to think about this carefully. I think it will be much better for both you and your baby if you are together in the US.

We are going to have a baby in a year , but here we have some issues about taking care of the baby , as Chinese tradition , the grandparents take care of the baby if the young couple go to work daily , so . We are considering to get the visa for the grandmother come from China , but since she already has grandson to look after . That we need to find another way --give birth to baby in China , then leave the baby there to be taken by grandmother , but we are not sure the law in USA and in China will permit us to do that . hope we can get some advice here ,

Joanna

164235[/snapback]

You are going to have a baby in a year, I take it that you are not pregnant yet????? If this is the case I suggest that you wait until you and your husband are ready to take on the responsibilities of new born baby. If the grandmother is granted a Visa to come to the United States to help in the care of the child its only good for so long also, what happens then when she has to go back?? Looking back on my life I got married at 21 and had our first one at 21 also, my wife found a way to take care of her and go to school and I worked a shit load of hours back then and found a way to go to school also and still had time for the kiddo. Yesterday my daughter had her first child(she is 26) I went to see them at the hospital that took up half a day. Today on top of painting I had to get pumpkins for Lushengs twins age 11, got home with them and come to find out that they lost their pumpkin carving equipment and stencils lol and spent a hour running around for that stuff, now they are asking me whats for dinner... Childern are a lifetime commitment no matter what age they are :greenblob:

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

Joanna

164235[/snapback]

You are going to have a baby in a year, I take it that you are not pregnant yet????? If this is the case I suggest that you wait until you and your husband are ready to take on the responsibilities of new born baby. If the grandmother is granted a Visa to come to the United States to help in the care of the child its only good for so long also, what happens then when she has to go back?? Looking back on my life I got married at 21 and had our first one at 21 also, my wife found a way to take care of her and go to school and I worked a shit load of hours back then and found a way to go to school also and still had time for the kiddo. Yesterday my daughter had her first child(she is 26) I went to see them at the hospital that took up half a day. Today on top of painting I had to get pumpkins for Lushengs twins age 11, got home with them and come to find out that they lost their pumpkin carving equipment and stencils lol and spent a hour running around for that stuff, now they are asking me whats for dinner... Childern are a lifetime commitment no matter what age they are :greenblob:

164338[/snapback]

Congrats Mikey!

See GrandPa Mike (XiaoTrigg)

I am a Chinese.  Our baby was born in China.  She is a US citizen because her dad is one.

At the beginning we wish to leave the choice to her own when she reaches age 18.  We even applied a Shanghai Hu Kou for her, and she made her first international travel to Tailand with a Chinese passport.  However, when it's time to visit US, (I need to apply for a tourist visa, so plan to do the same for her), the consular officer told us, she will not be allowed entering US with a non-US passport.  So we have to give up her Chinese citizenship, and obtain a US passport for her.  So as to say, US citizenship is not an issue according to our own experience.  Being a US citizen, your baby will need a resident permit to stay in China.  You may consult the Visa Section of Chinese Police Bureau for that process.

164293[/snapback]

Joanne -

So, your baby has a chinese citizenship at this time ? You plan to give her the choice to do as she wishes at 18 -- so your baby does not need a permit at this time correct ?

I guess we could do something similar. We could register for chinese citizenship at first, and then apply for US citizenship at a later time.

The other way is to apply for a visa for her mom to come here to help her.

My wife, Joanna, wants to go out to get more education at our local college here. So, she needs some help with the child caring.

Thanks for your input. I don't really know how to hanlde it at this time.

164316[/snapback]

I got my tense wrong in my original message, so caused some confusion. I corrected it now.

My baby is a US citizen now, no longer a Chinese citizen.

I do not suggest that you apply for Chinese citizenship first, US citizen later. It would be too much trouble.

you would consider to leave your newborn child in china and go to the USA without the baby..... WOW... this floors me......

164312[/snapback]

Don't be so surprised. This is normal Chinese custom to have the parents take care of the baby, even if they are living in a different village/town/city.

My wife has talked about taking our baby to China after it is born and leaving it with the Grandparents for a few years. This problem is coming up soon as our baby will be born around Feb 1st of next year. It is also not my favorite option. My problem with this option is because of the length of time the baby would be away from us. We would not only miss a few very wonderful moments that can not be recaptured, but the most important part that would be lost is the bonding process that happenes between parents and new borns.

Right now I am in the process of trying to find a way to bring her parents here to assist us with the baby. Any help on how to get visas for her parents would be appreciated. They do not want to come separately as they have not done anything apart for thirty years. Now that is a sucessful marriage!!!

Looks like I will be exploring child care options as well. My wife views this as too expensive. I have to agree with her, but the bonding process is more important to me at this time, than money.

Later, as the child grows up, he will spend summers in China. It is important that he gets to know my wife's side of the family. It will also help him keep up on his Chinese. The world will be more open to him, than it was for my generation.