Vaccinations

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should legals have to be checked if they are in the minority?

Wait for the coming flu epidemics. It will be like the floods in NO. The govt could have done something but decided not to.

159416[/snapback]

I think that anyone here in the United States that are here legally including US Citizens have to have vaccinations? My kids could not attend school until they had the same ones that are required of Immigrants..

Amber you are being RIPPED OFF and your husband is being treated for something he probably doesnt' have. I work in a clinic and run the TB testing program here. IT IS NOT PROCEDURE!!!! To do a treatment for someone who does not have active TB or might have been vaccinated is unethical.

158997[/snapback]

I agree with Gene 100%. What your doc is proposing is a TOTAL RIPOFF!!!

A TB test is not even listed on the I-693!!

My civil surgeon tried to give us one also and I flat out told them it is not necessary and we don't want it.

I have been vaccinated for Hep B. Every time a doc looks at my blood test, they tell me I have Hep B. I tell them I had the vaccination for Hep B and DO NOT have active Hep B.

If someone has a mark on their arm that is a chicken pox scar, they do not and SHOULD NOT get the variacella vaccine as it is unnecessary and could actually interfer with and cause problems with your body's ability to fend off the virus.

If he had a vaccine for TB and/or has been treated for it in the past and they try to "treat" him now, they could actually give him a live disease.

I am not a doctor and can only relate my own experience, but I personnally think you would be very foolish to proceed with this "treatment" without consulting at the very least one other doctor.

Frequently Asked Questions for Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status

http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

What does the medical examination involve?

When the entire medical exam is required, the designated civil surgeon is responsible for ensuring that all of the required components have been completed. The civil surgeon will record the results on Form I-693. For applicants required to have the entire medical exam, all of the following are required. All adjustment of status applicants are required to comply with the vaccination requirements.

Physical Examination: A physical examination (to include complete disrobing) and a mental status evaluation are required, regardless of age.

Tuberculin (TB) Skin Test: Applicants age 2 and older are required to have a tuberculin skin test (TST). Civil surgeons may require an applicant who is less than 2 years of age to have a TST if he or she has a history of contact with a known TB case, or if there is any other reason to suspect TB disease. After the skin test, you will need to return to the civil surgeon in 48 to 72 hours to have the results read. If you have a reaction of 4 millimeters or less, you will not need any further tests for TB. A chest X-ray is required when the reaction to the TST is 5 millimeters or more. The civil surgeon will explain these medical requirements to you in more detail.

Serologic (Blood) Test: Applicants 15 years of age and older are required to have serologic (blood) tests for HIV and for syphilis. Civil surgeons can require applicants under age 15 to be tested for HIV or syphilis if there is reason to suspect the possibility of infection. Civil surgeons are required to provide pre-test counseling to all applicants who take the HIV test. If you are found to have HIV infection, the civil surgeon must provide you with post-test counseling.

Vaccinations: The required vaccination are: mumps, measles, rubella, polio, tetanus, diphtheria toxoids, pertussis, influenza type B, hepatitis B, and any other vaccinations recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices (ACIP). Current ACIP recommendations also include the varicella, haemophilius inlfuenzae type B, and pneumococcal vaccines. The civil surgeon will review your vaccination history with you to determine whether you have all the required vaccinations. Make sure you take your vaccination records with you to your appointment with the civil surgeon. Do not try to comply with these requirements before you meet with the civil surgeon, in case it is not medically appropriate for you to have one or more of the required vaccines. For more information about the vaccination requirements, including information about waivers and exceptions for orphans, see "Vaccination Requirements for Immigrant Visa Applicants and Adjustment of Status Applicants".

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
I wonder if one could use the argument that our SO would not have the visa if they had TB or the test result was not performed... but upon reviewing my SOs "Medical Examination book" given by the BJ hospital, I do not find anything showing a TB test was done  :P

159469[/snapback]

Just a guess here, but I believe that they don't do a TB test because it has to be read 48 to 72 hours after it is given. Also a TB test does not test for TB itself only if you have the TB antibodies in your system, which you can get from having TB or being vaccinated for TB, which TB vaccination is common in Asian Counties so it would then be a false positive and the next step is to do a chest X-ray.

They are just skipping a step and doing the chest X-ray which provides positive proof whether you have or have had TB. :blink:

I wonder if one could use the argument that our SO would not have the visa if they had TB or the test result was not performed...   but upon reviewing my SOs "Medical Examination book" given by the BJ hospital, I do not find anything showing a TB test was done  :P

159469[/snapback]

Just a guess here, but I believe that they don't do a TB test because it has to be read 48 to 72 hours after it is given. Also a TB test does not test for TB itself only if you have the TB antibodies in your system, which you can get from having TB or being vaccinated for TB, which TB vaccination is common in Asian Counties so it would then be a false positive and the next step is to do a chest X-ray.

They are just skipping a step and doing the chest X-ray which provides positive proof whether you have or have had TB. :blink:

159473[/snapback]

thanks for clarify... so I wonder if my original comment is then valid: They would not have the visa if they had TB?

The proof, if a civil surgeon was stating the need for a TB skin test would be the xray. We have our civil surgeon appt later this month, and I'll bring the xray just in case.. sounds like "kitchen sink" all over again... :lol:

I wonder if one could use the argument that our SO would not have the visa if they had TB or the test result was not performed...?nbsp; but upon reviewing my SOs "Medical Examination book" given by the BJ hospital, I do not find anything showing a TB test was done?:P

159469[/snapback]

159473[/snapback]

thanks for clarify... so I wonder if my original comment is then valid: They would not have the visa if they had TB?

The proof, if a civil surgeon was stating the need for a TB skin test would be the xray. We have our civil surgeon appt later this month, and I'll bring the xray just in case.. sounds like "kitchen sink" all over again... :P

159474[/snapback]

Maybe if they had Active TB showed the signs and symptoms, to include a persistant cough, may with a little blood in it.

I don't believe they would neccessarily deny the visa but maybe hold it up until it was treated and the person was not contagious.

Also I think the civil surgeons probably stay away from the X-Rays because they have to be able to read them, and usually a radiologist does that.

I would take the X-Ray, it is a good argument :lol:

My read on this is that the TB skin test is part of the MEDICAL EXAM and NOT part of the supplemental vaccination.

As Gene said, unless he is coughing and/or spitting up blood, there is no reason for the civil surgeon to suspect TB.

Amber: You can go to as many civil surgeons as you need until you find one that will sign off on the form. If this doc interferes with your case when another civil surgeon is willing to sign off on it, then you should sue him for everything he has!!!!!

Just my 2 yuan

David: The chest X ray IS conclusive evidence and if there was an indication of TB in the X ray, he would have failed the medical exam and would have been required to go through the treatment BEFORE the visa was issued.

Amber: Take the X ray to your county health department and ask them to look at it to see if there is any evidence of TB. If he indeed needs the treatments, then you have a bona fide second opinion. If he doesn't need them, you'll save him 9 months of unnecessary treatments and blood tests (not to mention your out of pocket expenses).

I don't know why they gave him a TB test- after he tested positive he showed them the X-rays taken in GZ for the medical exam. The doctor stated very definatly that he does NOT have TB- she wanted him to take some prevention medicine for 9 months.

She already signed off on the form for us so we have that. I guess we won't do the prevention program since it seems that we don't need it.

• 2 months later...

We went to the civil surgeon yesterday.

He did a very good job as we found him through a referal

from a coworker, who is here from India on a work visa.

My wife only got two shots, MMR & DT. We avoided the

TB test as we just gave him the X-Ray from her exam in GZ.

All in all, it went very smooth at a cost of $280.

Though I'm not the one who got the shots. :blink:

My suggestion for those who are having trouble locating

Civil Surgeons via the usless website is to ask around.

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

I am sure I saw a copy of the vaccination supplement on this web site somewhere. Anyway, I went and looked at my copy. TB is not included. What is included are DTP, TD, HIB, Polio, MMR, Hep B, Varicella, Pneumococal, and Influenza. For ages 7 to 65 the only required shots are TD (tetanus), MMR and Varicalla. My wife could neither state she had chicken pox nor the vaccination.

both the civil surgeon and local health department said skin scars were not acceptable evidence of prior small pox vaccination.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)