Vaccinations

Amber,

Don't let them jump to conclusions. A lot of Asian people were vacinated for TB and when they are given a TB test it checks for the TB antibodies which would show positive for someone who has had TB the same it would show positive for someone who has been vaccinated. The reason for the chest X-Ray in Guangzhou is to look for signs of TB if he had a positive on the chest X-Ray they would have delt with it then.

A lot of Civil Surgeons are on the lower end of the ladder as far as Doc's go and abuse this system to make more money, so if necessary go to another Doc.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the concern everyone. I'm afraid we can't go to another doctor as they won't give us the vaccination supplement needed for AOS until my husband signs up for a 9 month treatment plan.

I will speak with my husband more about this after work and possibly call the clinic myself. They did look at his X-Rays from GZ which show that he has no abnormalities, but those were taken 6 months ago.

Also I have an interview to get hired in at my job next week so hopefully health insurance will be coming our way soon.

Thanks again for the advice and concern.

Edited by amberzhu (see edit history)
They did look at his X-Rays from GZ which show that he has no abnormalities, but those were taken 6 months ago.

158823[/snapback]

Then they are saying he has contracted TB In the last six months? :blink:

I would say that is very unlikely. Your husband would have been showing symptoms for quite a while.

You are being taken advantage of, find a different Civil Surgeon and report the one you are using to the Medical Board in your State.

I second Don's second opinion. If he was vaccinated for TB in the past, his test will always show positive. If he really had active TB, he would have failed the medical exam and he wouldn't be in the USA right now.

You can get the I-693 vaccination supplement from any civil surgeon.

Just walk away from the one you went to and go to another one - a 9 month treatment plan for something unnecessary sounds like the doc want's you to pay for an extra vacation for him!

Amber, first of all, I really hope is only a common virus and nothing more, but I think two chest X Rays will clear any doubt in your minds at this time. Qisheng got the MMR, Tetatus and Rubella shot and that was all needed (only one shot), the other required vaccine was for varicella, but the Civil Surgeon excluded that one once we could find a hole in his skin that proved he once had the disease (he told the doctor he had it when he was a baby). As you know our AOS is being processed and we have not got a RFE for not having the Vaccination Supplement they need. Qisheng had the TB test done this week, but for a health certificate required by the company which hired him, it bothered him a lot afterwards as his skin got all swollen, but the lab technologist insisted that he was negative and that it's most probable that he's allergic to the substance. She suggested that next time he better get a X Ray as it should show up the same results as the skin test. I don't understand why the civil surgeon that saw Xiaoming required a TB test, it really seems he's trying to get some benefit from it.

I spoke with the doctor at the clinic yesterday. Apparently he does not have TB right now but has been exposed to it at some time in the past. (Possibly a vaccination?) So he needs to have a 9 month treatment for prevention. The doctor stressed to me that this is a procedural thing.

After he finishes the treatment he will get a certificate stating that he has taken the prevention because he if he ever has to have a TB test again, it will always show up positive, so he can just show them this certificate. Also, this will protect him from TB for the rest of his life.

The medicine he has to take are antibiotics and vitamins which are only $13 a month, but he has to get bloodwork done every 6 weeks which will add up in costs. Hopefully I'll get hired in at my job next week and get insurance which will cover that.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I spoke with the doctor at the clinic yesterday. Apparently he does not have TB right now but has been exposed to it at some time in the past. (Possibly a vaccination?) So he needs to have a 9 month treatment for prevention. The doctor stressed to me that this is a procedural thing.

After he finishes the treatment he will get a certificate stating that he has taken the prevention because he if he ever has to have a TB test again, it will always show up positive, so he can just show them this certificate. Also, this will protect him from TB for the rest of his life.

The medicine he has to take are antibiotics and vitamins which are only $13 a month, but he has to get bloodwork done every 6 weeks which will add up in costs. Hopefully I'll get hired in at my job next week and get insurance which will cover that.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

158968[/snapback]

Amber you are being RIPPED OFF and your husband is being treated for something he probably doesnt' have. I work in a clinic and run the TB testing program here. IT IS NOT PROCEDURE!!!! To do a treatment for someone who does not have active TB or might have been vaccinated is unethical.

Edited by Gene (see edit history)
My understanding is that it's prevention program, not a treatment. Have you heard of this 9 month prevention program before?

The doctor said that the childhood TB vaccination is not long lasting.

Thanks.

Amber

159072[/snapback]

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/tb/faqs/qa.htm

I think it is a treatment. My wife also tests positive for the TB skin test. Her doctor suggested that she take INH for 1 year but the Civil Surgeon (a Chinese doctor) said she doesn't. He did sign the form. I hope she doesn't develop the disease.

Edited by ttlee_99 (see edit history)
My understanding is that it's prevention program, not a treatment. Have you heard of this 9 month prevention program before?

The doctor said that the childhood TB vaccination is not long lasting.

Thanks.

Amber

159072[/snapback]

If they are selling you a prevention program then we should all sign up because I don't know anyone who wants TB.

This should also be a sign to you if they are now saying "Prevention", then he must not have TB if they are going to "prevent" it and if he doesn't have TB then why did they start all of this?

Because it is an easy way for them to make a few dollars

If you recieved your sealed envelope so you can send it in with the AOS, send it in and run from these people as fast as you can :angry:

My wife also tests positive for the TB skin test.  Her doctor suggested that she take INH for 1 year but the Civil Surgeon (a Chinese doctor) said she doesn't.  He did sign the form.  I hope she doesn't develop the disease.

159106[/snapback]

Tony, Don't worry she can not develop TB you either have it or you don't

What a heap of B.S.

More illegals came to the country last year than legals but guess who needs the exam and vaccinations?

Does this make sense to anyone? Was Ellis Island built for nothing?

Ever notice that our country screws the honest people?

Our little county had 2 more cases of TB last year than the year before. Guess where most of the illegals work. I now listen outside the kitchen door in the eatery for any signs of coughing.

What a heap of B.S.

More illegals came to the country last year than legals but guess who needs the exam and vaccinations?

159289[/snapback]

Why would a ill illegal go get checked anyway? What the hell did I just say. I guess there could be a law in place that states that if you are a illegal or think that you might be that you have to have a check up within 10 years of entering the Country?