Learning Chinese

However, I digress.  Seems that in Bejing, when you say nihao (Hello) the words run together.  In southwestern China, each individual word is annuciated (e.g. ni...hao) 

150081[/snapback]

Seems your two examples hit upon tone change (tone sandhi) when certain tones are in juxtaoposition... This is probably the one thing that trips me up the most and only repetitive use has conditioned when to say what !

I had to look up in my book on the tone change required in your two examples and see that I did not even list the correct change for xie4xie4, which should become xie4xie (where the second one has a 'fifth' tone, a neutral tone--no tone).

As for Ni3hao3, it follows the rule that two 'thid' tones in a row change the first one to a 'second, as Ni2hao3 ; can also be seen in wo3hen3hao3 > wo2hen2hao3.

And so the words sound to run more together...

Anyway.. that's my take on this tonal frustrating language.... :P

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lao gan ma I love it!

I haven't found it in the US yet but then I haven't checked in a hard core Chinatown area.  I think my fave is the one that also has a bit of dry shredded beef in it.

:D

149961[/snapback]

Ah that brand! 99 Ranch Market in California carries the line. I have the chili oil with peanuts in my kitchen. Couldn't cook without it. My main seasonings are the chili oil (actually red chili flakes soaked in oil) and black vinegar. That makes anything taste Chinese. Stews I make with the Chili Oil and five spice....mmmmmmmm mmmmmmm good!

150121[/snapback]

Yep, that's the stuff alright! I use it in cooking quite a bit as well, or, if eating something a little bland, will put a bit on my plate and drag the food through it. I highly recommend it, especially the chili with the peanuts in it. All of it is good, though.

Yum Yum! :D :banned: :ok:

150135[/snapback]

its pushing close to lunch not good time to read this string :bangin:

Mick, LMAO. I've been know to call my mother in law a horse, but not on purpose. :D The one word that I can't seem to pronounce correctly is tea or cha2. My tongue just doesn't seem to want to go where it needs to to get the pronunciation right. Such a simple word, and all I get is blank stares.

Lao gan ma I love it!

I haven't found it in the US yet but then I haven't checked in a hard core Chinatown area.  I think my fave is the one that also has a bit of dry shredded beef in it.

149961[/snapback]

Ah that brand! 99 Ranch Market in California carries the line. I have the chili oil with peanuts in my kitchen. Couldn't cook without it. My main seasonings are the chili oil (actually red chili flakes soaked in oil) and black vinegar. That makes anything taste Chinese. Stews I make with the Chili Oil and five spice....mmmmmmmm mmmmmmm good!

150121[/snapback]

Yep, that's the stuff alright! I use it in cooking quite a bit as well, or, if eating something a little bland, will put a bit on my plate and drag the food through it. I highly recommend it, especially the chili with the peanuts in it. All of it is good, though.

Yum Yum! :D :ok: :ok:

150135[/snapback]

its pushing close to lunch not good time to read this string :unsure:

150142[/snapback]

Mick, Great story!! I am still laughing!! Lao Gan Ma is good stuff. Have you ever tried something similar called Sambal Oelek. It has a little more kick, so proceed with caution. It is produced by the Huy Fong Foods, Inc. Web site is www.huyfong.com. If you ever make fried chicken and you soak or dip your chicken in buttermilk, add one to three tablespoons of this stuff and your Chinese will definetly approve :D

My Chinese, although still limited after living in China for five years and being with Li going on eight years, is gradually improving. Still, I am a butcher when it comes to the tones. Normally, I call people's mothers horses. :o

I thought I might share this experience, which occured during my fourth year in China. It illustrates, I think, how dangerous a tonal language can be.

During my fourth year in China, my third in Shantou, I felt my Chinese was advancing greatly. Then I was humbled and damn near pummeled with a cane.

I developed a real taste for a chili spice called "Lao Gan Ma." It is really tasty if you like the hot stuff and I often ate in with various foods that Li and I prepared at home.

One day I went shopping and needed to buy some Lao Gan Ma. I went into a store and couldn't find it. Boldly, I approached an old man behind the counter and asked for "Lao Gan Ma." He looked as if he didn't understand me, so I repeated my question several times. He became enraged and chased me out of the store, swinging a cane at me.

Later, I told Li the story. She asked exactly what I said. I told her and she actually fell on the floor laughing.

Literally, Lao Gan Ma is translated as "Old Dry Mother" and it has a picture of an old lady on the label. Evidently, Gan is also a word, when used with a different tone, that implies a f**ker. Ma, of course, can also mean horse.

It would seem that I asked the fellow if he was "the old horse f**ker."

:D  :excl:  :D  :ok:  :D  :ok:

I have been able to find Lao Gan Ma at quite a few Asian food stores here in the States; still eat it, still love. But, I never try to ask for it. :unsure:

149929[/snapback]

That is a riot... :lol:

I wonder how many times this has happened?

Richard (Chef4U) better pick some of this stuff up....

• 5 weeks later...
Lao gan ma I love it!

149961[/snapback]

150121[/snapback]

Yum Yum! :clapping: :ok: :ok:

150135[/snapback]

its pushing close to lunch not good time to read this string :unsure:

150142[/snapback]

Mick, Great story!! I am still laughing!! Lao Gan Ma is good stuff. Have you ever tried something similar called Sambal Oelek. It has a little more kick, so proceed with caution. It is produced by the Huy Fong Foods, Inc. Web site is www.huyfong.com. If you ever make fried chicken and you soak or dip your chicken in buttermilk, add one to three tablespoons of this stuff and your Chinese will definetly approve :D

150260[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to see if I can find it and give it a try. I really love spicy food, although sometimes my system rebels if I eat too much of it.

there are just too many words that sound the same that have different meanings.

english i guess has words like that but not every word. :(

the first time i was in china i couldnt understand anything :blink: , but i can pick out words here and there as she speaks to her family and others now. B)

i try to work at least 1 hour a night on my mandarin software programs.

149957[/snapback]

Ok, this is going to sound very shallow of me. My beautiful Chunqui, of which I have so much trouble pronounceing, has decided that she just loves the name Amy. So, hehe Amy it is. She speaks good english, and is taking a class right as I reply to this, in english. So not that I would be adverse to learning some chinese, but Amy and I both agree that when she is in usa, english would be more logical to speak in. xie xie =)~

• 3 weeks later...