K1 ceremony in china

For K1 folks..

Have you had a ceremony in China ?

I wanted to see if anyone has ever done a ceremony within a church, although not official.. just to exchange love vows, etc..

I thought you could do that since the certificate was really from going to the official office and signing papers only..

any experiences ?

We were Married in Nanning China. The Getting Married part is basicly registering with the government. We did not have a Ceremony, But we did have the big party. Reception?. I don't know? Do they have Ceremonial type Church weddings?

Guest ShaQuaNew

David....

I mentioned earlier that on my last trip to China was to have a formal event with family and friends acknowledging our upcoming marriage in the US. There was no formal exchanging of Vows, but it was a formal acknowledgement that we were to be married and that event celebrated that.

A truly awesome event.......We have discussed however having an unofficial ceremony in China before she comes here. Everything is much cheaper there, and the thinking is why not? Her family and friends are there and will not be able to come here....

David....

I mentioned earlier that on my last trip to China was to have a formal event with family and friends acknowledging our upcoming marriage in the US. There was no formal exchanging of Vows, but it was a formal acknowledgement that we were to be married and that event celebrated that.

A truly awesome event.......We have discussed however having an unofficial ceremony in China before she comes here. Everything is much cheaper there, and the thinking is why not? Her family and friends are there and will not be able to come here....

148876[/snapback]

My SO was saying that a church will not do an 'unoffical' ceremony.. seemed odd if the true certificate comes from 'registering' as Gene confirmed..

Jesse.. were you thinking of this unoffical ceremony in a church or where ? We have same thought, but then heard back from church...

there are a couple catholic churches in beijing...2 that i know of

i read the other day that the bible has become the top selling book in china as of recent...

like it has been in the states for many years

149046[/snapback]

and why not, most of the publishing houses (the better ones) are state owned, they are becoming capitalistic........ the do all the printing and selling........ :unsure:

For K1 folks..

I wanted to see if anyone has ever done a ceremony within a church, although not official.. just to exchange love vows, etc..

I thought you could do that since the certificate was really from going to the official office and signing papers only..

any experiences ?

148859[/snapback]

Lucy and I had a "exchange" for the benefit of respect for her mother who would not be able to attend our wedding here in the states. Nothing legal or official.

Her mother is fully supportive of her daughters decision to marry. She has told me that I am deserving of her daughters love... In other words... We have her blessing!

For K1 folks..

any experiences ?

148859[/snapback]

No church thing at all. There was one church in Guilin that was always closed anyway. It seemed kind of a novelity for Chinese people going to Church in the area we lived.

Although, my students could sing "Slient Night" very well but had no idea what the lyrics meant.

We are K-1 and our Chinese ceremony is in a few days... on Sunday.

His parents rented the entire floor of a restaurant. There will be about 130 people. I will wear 3 dresses- he will have 2 outfits. I'm told we won't have time to eat cuz we will be busy toasting everyone, but everyone else will eat. There will be an MC to keep us all entertained. There will be a photographer.

That's all I know... I can update more after the wedding.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Jesse.. were you thinking of this unoffical ceremony in a church or where ?  We have same thought, but then heard back from church...

148880[/snapback]

It was unofficial and impromptu. We had planned a large gathering with her family and friends who all met us at a nice restaurant. She insisted that we arrive at least an hour and a half before others were due to arrive. She began ordering food and setting up right away. She knew exactly the way she wanted it and I just pretty much watched it happen.

At the insistance of a couple of her close friends it soon became a public acknowledgement of our committment to one another. At this point we were publically considered to be Laopo and Lawgon. It was really quite touching, and she was soon moved to tears as others spoke to her in Chinese and there hopes for our happiness.

Lan nor I are not religious so we are not seeking a formal church ceremony. I don't think we can publically admit and celebrate our love and committment to one another too often. When Lan and I are officially married here in the US, we plan to have a small group of friends, photographer and a notary public present.