TRAVEL WARNING JUST ISSUED BY THE US STATE DEPT>

jtaylo69

To American Citizens in the Guangzhou Consular District

This is one in a series of messages from the U.S. Consulate General's American Citizen Services unit to American Citizens registered with the U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou.

World Wide Caution

This Public Announcement updates information on the continuing threat

of terrorist actions and violence against Americans and interests

overseas.

This supersedes the Worldwide Caution dated March 8, 2005 and expires on February 2, 2006.

>

The Department of State remains concerned about the continued threat

of terrorist attacks, demonstrations and other violent actions against

U.S. citizens and interests overseas. Americans are reminded that demonstrations and rioting can occur with little or no warning.

Ongoing events in Iraq have resulted in demonstrations and associated

violence in several countries; such events are likely to continue for the

foreseeable future. Nation-wide elections in Afghanistan scheduled for

mid-September may also trigger violent anti-American actions.

>

Current information suggests that al-Qa'ida and affiliated

organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks against U.S. interests in multiple regions, including Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. These attacks may employ a wide variety of tactics to include

assassinations, kidnappings, hijackings and bombings. Extremists may elect to use conventional or non-conventional weapons, and target both official and private interests. The latter may include facilities where U.S.

citizens and other foreigners congregate or visit, including residential

areas, business offices, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools,

hotels and public areas.

>

> In the wake of the July 2005 London bombings and the March 2004 train attacks in Madrid, Americans are reminded of the potential for

terrorists to attack public transportation systems. In addition, extremists may also select aviation and maritime services as possible targets.

>

> U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, and take the appropriate steps

to bolster their personal security. For additional information, please

refer to "A Safe Trip Abroad" found at http://travel.state.gov.

>

> U.S. Government facilities worldwide remain at a heightened state of

alert. These facilities may temporarily close or periodically suspend

public services to assess their security posture. In those instances,

U.S. embassies and consulates will make every effort to provide

emergency services to U.S. citizens. Americans abroad are urged to monitor the local news and maintain contact with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

>

> As the Department continues to develop information on any potential security threats to U.S. citizens overseas, it shares credible threat information through its consular information program documents,

available on the Internet at http://travel.state.gov. In addition to

information on the Internet, travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the U.S. or outside the U.S. and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. >

>

> American Citizen Services

> U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

> Tel: (86-20)8121-8000

> Fax: (86-20)3884-4410

> E-mail: guangzhouacs@state.gov

>

> This email is UNCLASSIFIED based upon the provisions of E.O. 12958

my guess is that it is very unlikely that GUZ would be affected by this type of activity.... but forewarned is forearmed!!!

These warnings are put out all the time.  I travel to the Middle East all the time and see tons of them. This is a world wide warning with no particular applicability to China.

Nothing to worry about.

I'm currently in the UK ... and, I'm sure, in more danger than I would be in China :ph34r:

145379[/snapback]

Jim, stay out of the tubes......

Guest ShaQuaNew
To American Citizens in the Guangzhou Consular District

This is one in a series of messages from the U.S. Consulate General's American Citizen Services unit to American Citizens registered with the U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou.

World Wide Caution

144222[/snapback]

After walking miles over mainland China, and visiting a variety of places I counted fewer than 20 caucasian faces in a sea of thousands. China is after all a communist country with a totalitarian government......I dare say that Americans are safer in China than in America....

Thanks for the warning. I heard somewhere that there are people somewhere in the world targeting Americans. Now it is confirmed.

Anyone traveling should be on guard and use extra caution. So stay away from crowds shouting "Kill the Americam". I know it is a serious matter but in unknown places or new situations always err on the side of caution.

Once when I was at 1001 Nights Restaurant in Beijing I wish I had said Canadian when asked. We were having a delightful dinner talking with the people sitting next to us who were from Mongolia and Egypt. During the evening they asked where I am from. When I answered America. They shifted their chairs away from me and not another word was said to us.

That was 2 days before the U.S. entered Iraq. :o Three days later we went back because the food was so good. The place was desserted only us and two Sudanese eating there that evening. Guess everyone was glued to their TV sets.

If anyone is in Beijing and likes Middle Eastern Food or want to treat Chinese to something really different try 1001 Nights. The food is MUCH better than any I've had in the U.S. of this style.

http://www.1001nights.com.cn/beijing_englishindex.html

Just went to the website. Big news everyone they opened a branch in GZ!

Quote from Fitnlivly:

"After walking miles over mainland China, and visiting a variety of places I counted fewer than 20 caucasian faces in a sea of thousands. China is after all a communist country with a totalitarian government......I dare say that Americans are safer in China than in America...."

In all seriousness I was not be to worried in Ying's city of Yanji. While I was probably the only American in the city, there are many Russians in the area, Which I was taken for until I said something.

But the main difference between the US and other countries is one fact in particular....The only Miranda they know about wore a hat made out of fruit. So I think terrorists would avoid any operations in China because when they get caught the only question asked is which ear do they want the bullet?

Edited by Carl (see edit history)

Don't ignore the fact that terrorism is a problem for China too. The Western provinces are muslem, many muslem nations such as afghanistan border China. 15-10 years ago China was having problems with terrorists infiltrating through the mountains and desert to commit suicide bombings in public areas. This was controlled with strict rules of public order and border screening as well as suppressing muslem activists. The United States reacted by repeated attempting censor of China for discriminatory religious laws against muslems and discriminatory immigration practices. Today we ask for China's help in the war on terrorism. Last month the U.S. gave rufugee status to a woman released from Chinese prison where she had been jailed for supporting muslem seperatists in a highly troubled area.

As far as being safe from terrorists I would gladly trade a visit to the federal building in L.A. for the U.S. Beijing Embassy.

Guest ShaQuaNew
In all seriousness I was not be to worried in Ying's city of Yanji.  While I was probably the only American in the city, there are many Russians in the area, Which I was taken for until I said something.

But the main difference between the US and other countries is one fact in particular....The only Miranda they know about wore a hat made out of fruit.  So I think terrorists would avoid any operations in China because when they get caught the only question asked is which ear do they want the bullet?

145681[/snapback]

Well said.....

I don't think there is a visitation policy in Chinese prisons. Those that find their way there seem to disappear....

....compare that to Guantanamo Bay...... :ph34r:

Actually there are often releases from prison announced especially in political cases. Here we are talking about political mostly foreign involvement. Such prisoners are often offered in political trades. If they attack U.S. interests in China the two countries have no extradition treaty.