What to take to the interview

Since I am coming up on my own P4 & interview soon, I am finalizing the interview FAQ. I thought I would post here the "Kitchen Sink" approach for what to bring, and how to organize it.

Seems overkill, and that's the point... leave nothing to chance. Use in whole or part at your own discretion.

--

Respond with comments/corrections/additions.. please DO NOT QUOTE the entire post... It is definitely a K1 oriented list...

--

This is a personal recommendation of CFL users and more than the minimum required information to bring. Don't confuse this recommend with guidelines stated by GUZ or other federal agencies. The VO is able to ask for anything. This list seeks to have it all available.

A.1.7.3

Concerning any form you have to fill out, it is recommended that you:

1) Make copies before you fill any out (so you always have blanks--and bring blanks with you to interview)

2) Make copies prior to signing and dating (this allows you to get another certified version in case it is needed)

3) Make copies after signing, certified, etc (in case they'll take a copy and you can keep the certified one)

KITCHEN SINK LIST:

1. Chinese beneficiary

A. Proof for Interview appointment:

- Your P4 appointment letter (must have to gain entry to consulate)

- Passport (must have to gain entry to consulate)

- Receipt for the paid immigration fee

- Copy of the Notice of Action (NOA2 you received)

- Original Medical forms and exam results in sealed envelope

B. Dependents:

If there are dependent children immigrating to the US with the Chinese beneficiary:

- passport (or can be on Chinese beneficiary)

- birth certificate

- medical exam

- passport photos, at least four (4). Print name on back.

- police certificate, if over 16 years old

- proof of full custody

- additional forms/documents as required

C. P3 paperwork:

Items sent back to GUZ:

- Copy of the DS 230 (K1 only part I)

- Copy of the 169 (Checklist from P-3)

- Copy of supplemental info sheet

Items collected:

- Current Passport of Chinese beneficiary

- Current birth certificate of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy

- Police Certificate(s) for Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translations; plus a copy

- Certified copy of Court or prison records for Chinese beneficiary (if applicable) with Notarized English Translations; plus a copy

- Certified copy of military records of Chinese beneficiary, if application / available; plus a copy

- Passport Photos of Chinese beneficiary. At least four (4). Print name on back.

- Martial certificate (single cert or marriage cert) of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy

- Divorce certificates (if any) of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy

D. P4 paperwork:

- P4 Appointment letter

- OF-171, Information Sheet

- Certification of Legal Capacity and Intent to Marry

- Original DS-156, Visa Application, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate but DO NOT SIGN

- Original DS-156K, Visa Application for dependents, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate but DO NOT SIGN

- Original DS-157, Supplement Visa Application, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate but DO NOT SIGN

- Original GIV-24, family composition sheet

- Original GNI-2, supplemental form for K1

E. Miscellaneous:

- Wear your engagement / wedding ring (if available)

4. U.S. Petitioner

A. Regarding self

- Copies of petitioner's passport with visas indicating dates of visit(s), including at least one visit within the last 2 years. If able, certify this.

- Divorce certificates for petitioner (if any); plus a copy

- Letter of Intent to marry in English (notarized and updated by petitioner for interview); plus a copy

B. Financial documents:

a. Certified copies of the I-134 with supporting financial documents including

i. 3 years of tax records reflecting (Form 1040 and W2s; guideline is income 125% of the poverty level)

ii. letter from employer regarding current employment and wage/salary)

iii. if your income is less than 125% of poverty level, bring copies of bank statements/ stock/bonds, etc.

b. If using a joint sponsor, copies of the I-134 with the supporting financial documents.

C. Miscellaneous

- Video for communication if in doubt

5. Relationship proof:

a. Informal pictures of the two of you together from your visits; pictures with family members are better.

b. Copies of phone records between the two of you (if available)

c. Originals of letters w/postmarked envelopes (if available)

d. Copies of emails reflecting communication over a period of time. Review the content of the email.

e. Proof of joint ownership, bank accounts, etc.

6. Copy of Any other documents submitted

- I-129F application and all submitted paperwork

- I-130 application and all submitted paperwork as part of CR1 process

- Copies of documents notarized or certified; in case they will take the copy instead of original

7. Blank forms

- Some have been caught off guard at the medical exam with an expired or incorrectly filled out form and have to go chase one down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 6 July 2005)

Q.1.7 How should I prepare all the paperwork?

A.1.7.1

1. Because there is a glass separating the VO from the applicant with a trough to pass thru paperwork, similar to the teller windows at many U.S. banks. Something rigid like a 1" or larger ring binder will not pass thru.

2. There is only about 5 minutes allotted for each interview. It would take to much time for my SO to find and remove the specific document from the large binder.

A.1.7.2

We have decided to use 9 opaque plastic envelopes.

Each is color coded, labeled, and flexible enough to pass thru the window. Envelope contents:

#1 FORMS: All 797's (originals), Copy of original 129 package, all forms.

#2 SO's Doc?s Translated and notarized Chinese birth, marriage and police docs.

#3 My certified divorce papers from prior marriage.

#4 I-134, tax returns 2002-2004, letters from bank, bank statements 1/2004 to present, ING direct and Emigrant direct statements. Certified company ownership doc's, Certified company profit/loss statement, Certified statement of assets, Real estate purchase documents.

#5 Phone records, letters, Emails, Yahoo Chat, MSN Chat.

#6 Wedding pictures

#7 Pictures with family and friends

#8 All boarding passes and receipts from prior visits.

#9 Video tape of conversation between SO and myself

A.1.7.3

I made up the documentation folder for my sister-in-law?s interview using a see-through plastic, backpack-style holder which had 5 plastic letter folders inside which were labeled and easy to extract singly as required.

Contents:

(3) spiral bound, computer produced, photo albums with captions, one for each visit to China, pictures of "together" and family.

Green folder: I-134 with all supporting documents bound with acco-fastener at top.

....................Some additional financial docs: several paycheck stubs, utility bills, cable bills.

Blue folder: Affidavit of Communication (because she can't speak good English). Notarized

..................History of Relationship. Notarized

..................Certified copy of Petitioner's complete passport.

Red folder: Long distance phone bills/records.

.................Airplane boarding passes, ticket stubs from China trips.

.................Sample of e-mails from her.

.................Sample of e-mails from him.

.................Sample logs from MSN chats.

.................Sample e-card printouts.

.................Postcards/Letters sent to each other including the envelopes.

Yellow folder: Copy of original I-129 fiancee visa application, including original documents: birth certificates, divorce certificates, etc.

Pink folder: Copies of submitted P3 and P4 documents.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
??- Your P4 appointment letter (they are not likely to let you in without this).

??

??- Original Medical forms and exam results in sealed envelope

?B. Dependents:

?If there are dependent children immigrating to the US with the Chinese beneficiary:

??- passport (or can be on Chinese beneficiary)

??-

136251[/snapback]

David,

They BETTER have the P-4 interview letter and their passport to gain entry. Someone here described entry w/o interview letter- it took a few hours additional.

Medical Packet including that useless BULKY Xray neither GZ or POE will look at?

At GUZ I believe you will find that dependents can NOT travel on their parents PP. They must have a seperate PP from what I have heard (despite the indication of family travel somewhere on the consulate site).

Another remainder, Have S/O take his/her official Chinese ID card to later pick up the passport w/ visa in it at China Post. acw

They BETTER have the P-4 interview letter and their passport to gain entry. Someone here described entry w/o interview letter- it took a few hours additional. 

ok. I'll describe this need.

Medical Packet including that useless BULKY Xray neither GZ or POE will look at?

??

At GUZ I believe you will find that dependents can NOT travel on their parents PP. They must have a seperate PP from what I have heard (despite the indication of family travel somewhere on the consulate site).

um.. Not sure I understand.. you mean a K2/K4/CR2 who will travel with K1/K3/CR1 to US?? I have a section in the FAQ about separating the packets for a child (those that follow will have separate passport) and then there are some child who can be on same passport as parent if leaving at same time...

Maybe more can chime in on this , or clarify.

Another remainder, Have S/O take his/her official Chinese ID card to  later pick up the passport w/ visa in it at China Post.

Good point. I'll put this in the section for 'visa pickup', if it's not there...

THANKS! :lol:

um.. Not sure I understand.. you mean a K2/K4/CR2 who will travel with K1/K3/CR1 to US?? I have a section in the FAQ about separating the packets for a child (those that follow will have separate passport) and then there are some child who can be on same passport as parent if leaving at same time...

This is what 9FAM says about children and what they need:

An accompanying child requires a valid passport (or may be

included in the parent’s passport), a birth certificate, and a medical

examination. If a child is 16 years of age or over, police certificates are

required. No chest X-ray or serologic tests are required if the child is under 15 years of age.

??

THANKS! :rolleyes:

136288[/snapback]

Your S/O will be given a large x-ray at the medical- it is NOT sealed in the same packet as the other medical info- the x-ray is quite large (approx. 14" x 18") They tell them at the medical to be sure and take it to GUZ.

LIKEWISE the visa package from GUZ (for POE) has a sheet with it that is entitled: "IMPORTANT IMFORMATION". It addresses hand carrying the x-ray and presenting it to the nice immigration inspector- again in large letters "DO NOT PLACE YOUR X-RAYS IN YOUR LUGGAGE."

Prior experienceS (ex, step daughter, brother-in-law and MANY others I knew) with the immigrant visa process have yet to find someone that wants to see it at the consulate or POE. Don't know if anybody has needed it for AOS though.

I won't swear the seperate PP isssue is true for all catergories of family "K" visas as we are CR-1 but what I have from NVC and GUZ indicates seperate PP's. I seem to think some others here (and at VJ) of the K visa catergories have also reported that they needed seperate PPs for the child(ren). I known what DOS web site and the 9 Fam say but GUZ seems to follow it's own rules on some issues. Question here: Where would they put the child's visa- in the mother's (father's) PP??? acw

great stuff!!! what about for CR-1 VISA's?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...