OK, what's next?

Now that a week has past since we both got home, I am wondering, is there something we should be doing or are we waiting for something.

Wedding plans so far is to wait till after the 4th before working on the details. I know much of what needs to be done must follow our marrage. :redblob: In the mean time, is there paperwork we can get started on or do we wait for something in the mail? If I am not mistaken, we can get her a SSN right away, yes?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: Yes Jim just wait by the mail box, they will send you something :P :D :lol: Just kidding....We finished with K-3's so it is a little different.

I have heard that it is a little less possibility of a hassel to get SSN before you get married. Start collecting things for I-485, I-765 and if you want advandced probation for her to travel, I think it is a I-131. And send the Government more money :D

Wait 10 days after her arrival in the US before you apply for the SSN card!!

Then you can get her a CA ID card for $25 (what a rip!!)

After that, you can get a joint bank account and put her name on your lease and/or utility bills.

There is a page on the USCIS webpage with a phone # where you can call and request that they mail you a complete package of all the papers you will need for the AOS.

Just enjoy the "honeymoon" (time together) and after you are married, file a number of forms that were already filed (thanks to Trigg's redundant department of redundancy) !!! :blink:

Ok here is the process we used and it worked great for us.

1. Get married before you do anything. Otherwise you will have to get the SSN in her maiden name and if she wants to change it to your name later it is a hassle.

2. Take a certified copy of the marriage certificate down to the Social Security office. Fill out the form using her married name. You must take her passport along with tie I-94 inside. It may be a good idea to take some mail with you that has arrived at her new address. Some of the folks at the SS office are not up to speed on K-1 visas. If they won't help you don't despair just go to another office and try again.

3. Once you have the SSN in her new name it is time to make a trip to the DMV and get her a State ID card in her married name. In Oregon we had to have some mail that was sent to her along with the passport marriage certificate and SS card. The envelope the SSN came in worked swimmingly.

4. Next stop is the bank. Armed with her SSN and state ID card you may now put her on your bank account. This is important for the AOS interview.

5. Now start gathering all your papers for AOS. Get the I-693 supplimental from a civil surgeon and fill out the I-485, I-864, G-325A and if she wants to work she will need a I-765 as well. Fill it all out and be prepared for a major dent in your bank account.

If I forgot any details someone else here will pipe up.

If she isn't changing her name then it makes no difference. She will still need a SSN to put her on your bank account though and this evidence is important at the AOS interview to show joint household.

I argued with my banker ans he looked up the law. we had her added to my checking account WITHOUT a SSN.

These are NOT neccessary to show you are married for AOS purposes but do help. also, mail addressed to her at your address will help. I never added her to the utility bills or mortgage etc. had no problems

Jim, before you go to get the SSN make sure you have the info provided in the Links section. This is helpful to remind them that she is entitled to an SSN. She should be in the computer by the end of next week so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd do this before the wedding and do a name change afterwards. With the SSN you can take care of other things like giving her new ways to spend your money. :lol:

I would wait until you are officially married to get her SSN. I have heard of others doing SSN first and having nothing but trouble changing the name.

Follow what Carl says, works great.

Another option, is have two ceremonies. We had a quick Justice of Peace ceremony with Carl and Bing as our witnesses. This allowed us to have the marriage certificate within two to three weeks after her arrival. then you can start AOS almost immediately. We still had the full ceremony later for family and friends.

Now that a week has past since we both got home, I am wondering, is there something we should be doing or are we waiting for something.

OH yea Jim, there is definantly somethings you should be doing----but if you gotta ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No worries about that Trigg, we seem to be figuring things out. :D

This is a lot of good advice and once again I find myself saying thanks. Actually got home early today so we can intoduce Jen to the landlord and I'll ask about the rental agreement thing. :P