Letter of Intent to Marry

OK, I am now officially freaking out. My SO's interview is on the 30th and I am FEDEXing her every possible piece of paperwork notarized, embossed, incorporated with my DNA, etc...

My question is:

Am I also supposed to supply a letter of intent to marry? Or does she bring one to sign in front of the VO? I cant even sleep at night. This is awful!

- ZAO GAO!!!!!

- Jon

OK, I am now officially freaking out.  My SO's interview is on the 30th and I am FEDEXing her every possible piece of paperwork notarized, embossed, incorporated with my DNA, etc...

My question is:

Am I also supposed to supply a letter of intent to marry?  Or does she bring one to sign in front of the VO? I cant even sleep at night.  This is awful!

- ZAO GAO!!!!!

- Jon

As I understand you should prepare a NEW letter of intent just like you did when you initially filed since there has been a significant time difference.

The form that came with P4 is a letter for her to sign for the VO stating she is able and intends to marry you within 90 days.

Try to relax a bit after you get the papers sent, easier said than done. Sounds like you have done everything you can now the long wait for her call to tell you she passed.

incorporated with my DNA, etc...

david!! come on!! this wasn't in your FAQ!

:greenblob:

ok, joking aside... just calm down! it sounds like your doing fine. :blink: no worries.

yeah, an additional letter of intent prepared for the interview is suggested... i did one, but it wasn't touched. this is DIFFERENT than the required for she signs in front of the VO.

take care!

Yesterday at the medical clinic they did ask Jennifer to have one from each of us. As it sounds, a lot of people have not without issue. I'm wandering down to the embassy here shortly to find out and if so, see if I can get something done there before we go get Jen's results.

I'd say, if you can still get something over for her in time, do so. It will be better to have and not need it rather than the other way.

Bing and I both submitted a hand written letter of intent to marry along with our I-129F when we first started the process. It was not notarized nor did we submit another with our P-4. Still it can't hurt anything. Submit away but I don't think it is required.

Bing and I both submitted a hand written letter of intent to marry along with our I-129F when we first started the process.  It was not notarized nor did we submit another with our P-4. Still it can't hurt anything.  Submit away but I don't think it is required.

I think this is a case of vauge rules about what is needed. This was not even concudered by me until the receptionist at the medical office said so. She also said it had to be notarized but I know that is not true. Worst case would be a delay if the embassy said something, but I don't think they would unless it was put along with other requests.

Bing and I both submitted a hand written letter of intent to marry along with our I-129F when we first started the process.  It was not notarized nor did we submit another with our P-4.   Still it can't hurt anything.  Submit away but I don't think it is required.

I think this is a case of vauge rules about what is needed. This was not even concudered by me until the receptionist at the medical office said so. She also said it had to be notarized but I know that is not true. Worst case would be a delay if the embassy said something, but I don't think they would unless it was put along with other requests.

I think this is a GUZ only thing.. wanting documents to be fresher in date than what is stated.. but comparing to Carl's timeframe of two years ago is apt to have some changes as well...

• 5 weeks later...

I would have a nicely typed and notarized letter of intent sent to her prior to the interview for her to present if asked, and she should do the same....

I did two letters-one from me and one fro her when we filed the I-129f. Then, as demended by my attorney, one from me dated within 90 days of the interview (thats why two). She did not need one as one of the forms she is supposed to sign at the interview has an intent to marry statement in it!

I did two letters-one from me and one fro her when we filed the I-129f. Then, as demended by my attorney, one from me dated within 90 days of the interview (thats why two). She did not need one as one of the forms she is supposed to sign at the interview has an intent to marry statement in it!

136606[/snapback]

Good point ! and that makes Jim's post baffling (examiner asking for one from both).

If I am asked, I'm going to pull out the one she is supposed to sign in front of the consulate VO and tell them as such.

I did not submit one from her for the I-129F and only plan on preparing another one from me... she sign hers at the consulate.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ShaQuaNew

136606[/snapback]

I did ONE from me when I filed the I-129F and did not have one from her at the time of filing. The book I was referring to, written by an attorney did not indicate the need to have two letters at the time of filing the I-129F. Many say it's needed, but at the same time I don't believe I've heard of anyone being denied approval or getting an RFE for not having it at that time.

As this thread suggests, many have had it during the interview, but it seems little importance is placed upon it, and for what seems obvious reasons. She is there, and both have proceeded through the process to that point.

Now, suffice it to say that I included copies of several email correspondence between she and I, included photos of the two of us together, provided proof that we had met face to face using boarding passses, hotel receipts, etc.

VJ vigorously emphasizes that there should be two letters of intent. Surely, one will argue the need to have two, because it takes two to be in agreement. I am due to receive my NOA2 any day now, and can assure you that on the upcoming stages I will ensure that there are letters from each of us.

Guest ShaQuaNew
i have an attorney and hasn't mentioned another letter of intent.

146141[/snapback]

This topic has been debated all over the place. I freaked also when I realized that I'd only sent one letter with my I-129F, but after hearing from several that they had been approved with only one letter realized that I was probably in very good shape.

I did title my letter of intent however as written by me and behalf of both my fiance (beneficiary) and me (petitioner).

It all seems rather redundant when the beneficiary will attend a face to face meeting with government officials. I believe that legally that rather substantiates all the intent needed. Bottom line is you never really know what a low-level bureaucrat will do. It's probably a good idea to have two letters, but I think the jury is out on whether or not they are ever actually both needed with initial filing....

Edited by fitnlivly (see edit history)