Another successful (AOS) interview

Juxin and I just had our Adjustment of Status interview at the USCIS building in downtown Portland, Oregon. Success! It was so fast and simple, we were surprised :o

Interview was scheduled for 10:00 am. We got there at 9:45 am. Waited in the waiting room for 10 minutes or so, then the interview guy called our name and we followed him to his office.

For the first 2 minutes he didn't say anything to us at all. He just was shuffling some paperwork around amidst the mountain of paperwork atop his desk. Then he typed a few things into his computer.

Then he asked me "How did you guys meet"? I told him "We met online on americansingles.com, first exchanging some emails, which eventually got more and more frequent, then we decided to meet each other in person so I flew to Malaysia where she was going to college at the time".

Then he asked for Juxin's passport and he immediately stamped it with the "1-year temporary green card stamp" thing, and told us the real actual conditional green card would arrive in the mail in about a year. Then he said we had to apply for the unconditional green card in just under 2 years.

That's it! The whole thing took less than 10 minutes. I was expecting him to ask us lots of questions about us and ourselves. I was expecting to show lots of additional paperwork and/or photos of us. Nothing. Just a quick glance at her passport, and that's the only physical thing that came out of our envelope.

Oh ... and he asked us what name Juxin wanted to use going forward, and we said "HerGiven HerFamily MyLast" and he said fine. Then she had to provide her new signature a couple of times and provide her fingerprint a couple of times, and then away we went!

We were kind of unnerved by this because we expected so much more - we were expecting an onslaught of questions and a flurry of paperwork. But for some reason he didn't bother with all that and now everything seems to be in order, so now Juxin can work and re-enter the US without any problems. And no more paperwork for another 2 years! :P :lol: :lol:

Oh ... and he asked us what name Juxin wanted to use going forward, and we said "HerGiven HerFamily MyLast" and he said fine.  Then she had to provide her new signature a couple of times and provide her fingerprint a couple of times, and then away we went!

Interesting about the name.

Pinyin Spellings:

My SO is Cantonese but her docs have her name in Mandarin and I much

prefer the Cantonese version.

Glad to know there is a way to overcome this.

That's great news! Congratulations and breathe easier now that the paperwork is over for awhile.

One bit of advice: check the green card carefully when you get it and make sure there are no errors. Ours had the wrong birthdate on it and we had to schlep all the way over to Memphis to get it corrected. We received the replacement card and there was a different error on this one. Can you guess?

That's right. They want us to come back to Memphis again. :rolleyes:

So, be sure to check that green card.