Pick up visa from Post Office

We just purchased my hubby's airplane ticket to find out that he may not be able to make the flight b/c of the new visa pick up method....how many days will it take to ge the visa after the interview? His interview is May 23rd 8:00am.

Immigrant Visa Section Begins to Return Visas by Mail

The Immigrant Visa Unit of the U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou, China is pleased to announce the inauguration of a courier delivery and pick-up service for all immigrant visas issued from April 27, 2005. Courier delivery will offer convenient and timely return of immigrant visas through the China Post system. Visa recipients from within Guangdong Province will have the option of the Consulate mailing the visas directly to the applicant's home address. The visas may also be picked up at the designated China Post office on Shamian Island in Guangzhou, a short walk from the Consulate. Please note that applicants from outside of Guangdong Province must, for now, pick up their visa packages at the China Post office on Shamian Island near the Consulate. All immigrant visa recipients must use the China Post system for return of the visas. There will be a modest charge for this service. Details will be provided to each visa recipient on the day of their interview

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what you posted I guess they don't have everything worked out yet and they will be instructing as they go. Someplace I saw that it would be the third day rather than next day now. But I can't remember where that was.

We need someone who got the interview yesterday or today to see what is happening.

J my SO lives in GZ. She was told that they would either mail her the passport w/visa or she could pick it up at the post office on the 3rd day. So for her Thursday approval she will be picking it up on Saturday.

Dan Dan read this...hello in there...get some sleep wudjya... :blink: :o :lol:

so the old procedure was to pick up your visa the following day.

the new procedure is to wait 3 days and hopefully pick it up at the post office?

and what happens for those white slips turned blue? do we now have to wait 3 days to learn if we actually get the visa, or a blue slip?

i see this is a step backwards, adding more delay, adding more middle men to handle our vital documents.

i keep wonderful why the consulate in guangzhou does everything possible to be counter productive!

but then i guess i might be asking too much of them.

asking for a bit of common sense and profesionallism, especially for such vital things that affect the most important part of our lives.

Maybe, just maybe, this will eliminate those nasty white slips to blue surprises. But if it doesn't, and I'm already half way to LA before I find out that my SO did not get her visa, I'm just going to seal up the doors and drive my Honda all the way to China and choke some SOB at the consulate just for the pure pleasure it would give me... :blink: :lol: :o

the new procedure is to wait 3 days and hopefully pick it up at the post office?

and what happens for those white slips turned blue? do we now have to wait 3 days to learn if we actually get the visa, or a blue slip?

What the heck are we supposed to do in Guangzhou for 3 days?!?

Is there anything worth seeing?

How far is it to Shenzhen?

- fhtb

We need to encourage anyone going to GZ for the interview to attend the American Citizen Hour and report back what the VOs are saying to the groups...

Our best strategies are going to come from what we see is actually happening..

I would agree that this feels like it is 2 steps forwards-3 steps back... but the interview day is a disasterous process in the first place.. hours collecting, processing and finger printing.. probably VOs review their quote of the 20+ packets ... and then set your fate in 5 minutes.

The VO really doesn't have time to evaluate fully any concerns.. If they 'feel' a issue exists they will ask certainly ask questions and for documents, but if there's any sense that time is not available, they cut the rope, put it aside and move on.

Frankly, this is what needs to be improved, but doesn't really look like a quota adjustment is in their minds... they already run under their quota goal.

So they're seeking to improve the process, but where the improvement hits home for us is unclear till we get some people there (geez.. sounds like clandestine operation).

I heard/read something about the overcome evidence... Right now, they are required to rule on it in one day, but it was going to 48 hours. This is simply another example of where they appear to be putting in some 'extra' time...

- fhtb

There are many travel agencies that will get you on a tour bus to Shenzhen. I think it's like 2 or 3 hours away.

We had fun in GZ- we went to Baiyun Shan and Yuexie Park.

- fhtb

It not that far. I think about an hour plus by train. Maybe 2 hours plus by bus.