Who will live back in China ?

My husband and I have been talking about living in China with me later . You know everything is so very cheap in China . esp my city _ Shangrao . And we will save lots of money to travel if we live in China . Both of us just want simple but happy life together . I don't care where we will live . I only want to live with my husband . My problem is my husband can't live in Shangrao with me cos it is a forbidden city . So we are thinking about living in some place where the weather is nice and my husband can make some friends who come from USA too . my question is who will live back in China ? which city will you live in ? maybe we will live in the same city ? then my husband won't be homesick when he stays in China . hahaha!

Dannie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Zixuan and I both do not like cold weather, her home town is Baoding, about 1hour by train soutwest from Beijing. The people and area are wonderful, the prices very cheap.

We talk often of moving back to China at some point. I'd like to stay in touch with others also considering this.

There are 2 threads right now in Culture and Language about buying real estate in China.

We are definitely retiring to China in 5 years when I retire. My SO wants very much to have a place in her home town of Huaihua in Hunan where she has family and many friends. But for me the winters are too cold and the summers are too humid. We have also thought about a winter place on Hainan. My SO lives in GZ now but the winters there are not nearly as good as Hainan. But GZ has a fabulous selection of restaurants. The most appealing city to me that I have seen was Guilin. The surrounding landscape is spectacular but it does have humid summers. In Yunnan you have a nice, dry, moderate climate. I think we have to travel more around China before making a final decision but we will be there somewhere.

There has been talk of pinning a thread for this topic somewhere.

Are you reading Don???

On my first trip to China, we travel through Yunnan (Kunming, Dali, Lijiang). Zixuan was quite knowledgeable about the minority groups and she is very attracted to that area... Not just the beautiful environment, but also as she says, 'the women receive more respect and status'. I guess in one particular group, the woman are top of the totem pole and she says, 'even the grandfather pays the woman the highest honor'.

I am sure this area will come up in our discussions...

We are thinking about moving back to China at some point. How soon, I don't know. We're both in our late 20s. I'd like to save enough money that we wouldn't have to work too hard when we go over there. But a child or two could be in our future, and that could complicate plans.

it amazes me that one would even consider such a thing. but, hey, that's just me.

Why, because you would have to give up everything youv'e known in your life, be a long way from home, family and have no friends to start with? You would also be somewhere that language is strange so getting around is difficult. This is exactly what your SO has done for you, doesn't seem like a hard concept to give a little back.

Big plus is when you are on a fixed budget, the money goes a lot farther. You can live quite well off for a fraction of the money it would take here. Not such a bad idea....

We have also talked about bringing my SO's parents to live with us in the US. At the moment her opportunites are a little brighter here. It is possible in the future for us to consider a move to China.

it amazes me that one would even consider such a thing. but, hey, that's just me.

I love it over there. I love the urban environments, the ability to get around most cities with no car, the hustle and bustle of the streets. It just seems so alive over there.

Sometimes I think things are getting too antiseptic here in the states. People just want to get in their SUVs, go to work, go shop at Target, come home, eat meatloaf and watch TV -- and never really interact with the community at large.

Speaking of large, I suppose it's this lifestyle that's making us obese.

Why, because you would have to give up everything youv'e known in your life, be a long way from home, family and have no friends to start with? You would also be somewhere that language is strange so getting around is difficult. This is exactly what your SO has done for you, doesn't seem like a hard concept to give a little back.

Big plus is when you are on a fixed budget, the money goes a lot farther. You can live quite well off for a fraction of the money it would take here. Not such a bad idea....

We have also talked about bringing my SO's parents to live with us in the US. At the moment her opportunites are a little brighter here. It is possible in the future  for us to consider a move to China.

This is exactly right Michael. If our SOs can do this for us then we should be able to do it for them. My SO has a 15 year old son, and a younger brother and sister and their families,and her father. I have only my elderly parents who may not be around in a few years. It only makes sense for us to return to China so that she can be with her family.

I think for many, many years China will be far less expensive to live in than the US. Our retirement income will provide a very good standard of living in China or a doublewide in Florida in Golden Acres. China here we come... :P

Hmm,I strongely recommend Guilin, I just loved the West Street in Yangshou when my fiance and I traveled there last summer. There are lots of foreigners traveling there and some of them decided to settle down. Besides, all kind of restaurants for you to choose, they are not expensive, fantastic landscapes, friendly people, peaceful environment... I am just carzy about it. I am sure you won't feel homesick living in Yangshou. Guilin.I was kinda want to quit my job and get a job there.:-)

----------------------------

interview on May 31st.2005 ^0^

www.phantomspace.com