Concerning blue slips. Or how I learned

Since July of 2004 here on CFL, there have been 99 Interviews with a report of how it went which included some kind of usable data.

Of these, 33 US Citizen's did not go to the interview, and five of them got a blue slip.

44 US Citizens went to the Interview, and six of them got a blue slip.

The rest 23, the data is not available if they went or not, eight of them got a blue slip.

Here is the break down of the blue slips categorized:

Paperwork problem (Minor) - 3

Paperwork problem (Major) - 4

Requesting a video - 6

Financial problem - 3

Third party problem - 3

Of these nineteen blue slips, fourteen were resolved, five are not resolved. Three we are getting updates on their status, two we have not heard from.

This interview failure rate equates to 19%.

Of these, in my opinion, there is enough accumulated data on CFL to show that you should be able to avoid most of these causes of a blue slip. For example, the 3 minor problems were expired or missing papers. Very avoidable.

The 4 major paperwork problems, could have possibly have been avoided, because it was a request for papers that were not in hand, although they could be attributed to the VO. This is questionable either way.

The 6 requesting a video, although at first for those who got this, it was a new surprise and not avoidable. Now we should hear of this more rarely, because now you know. If you think there might be a communications question, get this made and have on it hand. Maybe even be there as well, and have a written letter explaining it with your evidence.

The 3 financial ones, possibly avoidable if all the financial data is there. (Excepting a VO thing). (We can not know what people are providing versus what is being asked for.)

With the exception of those who went, were denied, brought absolutely no additional evidence beyond what they had in the first interview, I think we can easily reduce the real failure rate to 5%.

In specific relation to the recent "third party" problem, this is new. However, now that we know that this is a potential problem, if you met using such a

service, now you know you should take the necessary steps to be prepared for this possibility.

Based on the recent polls concerning both handwritten letters and email, clearly hand written letters are rarely requested, and almost no one uses it. Email counts, but clearly it is having some that shows relationship, not the number that counts. (Meaning it is evident in the email that there is a relationship).

We can see that there are specific red flags that you can look for in your own situation, and prepare accordingly, now that you are aware of them.

For example, it appears that many who have a divorce involved in the past, can count on this being questioned in some way. Prepare your SO to explain this if asked about your divorce.

Finally, we can see that on the whole, blue slips are resolvable. Although you may go through hell a second time to get it resolved. Prepare accordingly and gain some benefit from those who have gone before and shared their trials with us.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great breakdown nooneufo.

Could you explain what you mean by "third party" and using this service. Are these people that met using some kind of paid service?

this was my question... my impression from some research was a 'setup by a family/friend' , not a service... Most people have commented that online services seem to pose little distraction to the VO.. some have asked which service, but don't follow up very much.

The "third party" problem can easily be avoided. In the last year, a few CFL members were given blue slips because of "third party coorespondence". These denials were extremely difficult for some to overcome.

Apparently, there are unscrupulous vultures who wait outside the consulate to prey on visa applicants. If you talk to them, they will offer to help you get your visa for a Huge fee. Don't believe them, because they cannot help you and are nothing but trouble.

Don't give them your name or any information. Because in the past, they have used that information to blackmail the visa applicants. If the applicants don't pay their outrageous fees, they threaten to send letters or "third party coorespondence" to the consulate in the attempt to discredit the applicant.

So the best way to avoid this problem is to keep tight lipped. Don't talk to anyone that you don't know and trust about your case.

For example, it appears that many who have a divorce involved in the past, can count on this being questioned in some way. Prepare your SO to explain this if asked about your divorce.

In my look at this topic, there are two sides they look at:

1) Beneficiary is previously married -

VO asks questions about 'ex', where he lives... if he lives in the US, this will raise their eyebrow mostly as they will question if the beneficiary is trying to get to the US to be with the 'ex'...

If children are involved, can ask about them and where they are.

2) Petitioner is previously married -

This seems to always draw some question(s)... I see it as the VO establishing whether the beneficiary really knows the USC. Questions seem to range from the children's names, age, etc... to the divorce related issues or 'ex'.

IF your married more than once, and have children, I think you should ensure your SO knows about all the previous marriages and which one children came from, etc.

Thanks for the work! Great stats.

But what I'm really surprised by is ... according to the stats ... it seems to make little difference if the petitioner accompanies the beneficiary to the entrance of the consulate (i.e. if the US citizen travels to GZ for the interview).

The stats say that a petitioner who stays at home has a 15% chance of getting a blue slip, whereas a petitioner who travels to GZ for the interview has a 13% chance of getting a blue slip.

So the cost/effort of travelling all the way over there (perhaps just only soley for the interview?) is only good for a 2% reduction in odds of getting rejected??

Apparently, there are unscrupulous vultures who wait outside the consulate to prey on visa applicants.  If you talk to them, they will offer to help you get your visa for a Huge fee.  Don't believe them, because they cannot help you and are nothing but trouble.

Don't give them your name or any information.  Because in the past, they have used that information to blackmail the visa applicants.  If the applicants don't pay their outrageous fees, they threaten to send letters or "third party coorespondence" to the consulate in the attempt to discredit the applicant.

I'd agree that there are vultures outside of the consulate and I'd agree that there are cases where some 'third party correspondence' have caused substantial delays and obsticles for those involved.

I've never heard of the vultures being the source of that 'third party correspondence'. If I'm off base on this, can someone post a link to a thread where this has been previously discussed?

Thanks for the work!  Great stats.

But what I'm really surprised by is ... according to the stats ... it seems to make little difference if the petitioner accompanies the beneficiary to the entrance of the consulate (i.e. if the US citizen travels to GZ for the interview).

The stats say that a petitioner who stays at home has a 15% chance of getting a blue slip, whereas a petitioner who travels to GZ for the interview has a 13% chance of getting a blue slip.

So the cost/effort of travelling all the way over there (perhaps just only soley for the interview?) is only good for a 2% reduction in odds of getting rejected??

but what is not clear is how many times they had gone.. those who went to interview and those who stayed home.

Maybe going to interview is less important than how many trips.. ( I tend to agree with this)

If the interview is your third trip, or you stay home but have already gone three times...

In both cases, the beneficiary will respond that the USC has come to visit three times...

Video?  The requirement of video to show and prove relationship is the most ridiculous!  Why?, is there any specific instruction of what scenes and actions that we are to videotape?  Is there such instruction in the petition or in the consulate/embassy website?

this was recently discussed... like any request, it is a request for evidence..

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....655b6a7785365ed

IS A VIDEO TAPE REQUIRED TO BRING?

[CFL] The response Guangzhou gave my Congressman when he posed the question for me. The letter is dated Sept 13, 2004, so its represents the current thinking......Here is the quote:

"Contrary to the information your constituent has been given, petitioners are not "required" to provide a videotape of the petitioner and the beneficiary having a conversation in order to establish a bona-fide relationship. During the interview a question arises as to how the couple communicates if the petitioner speaks little or no Chinese and the applicant speaks little or no English. In such cases, the interviewing officer may question the relationship if the couple is unable to communicate meaningfully. Only in such cases will an officer ask for evidence regarding the couples ability to communicate."