Physical Meeting

Presumably, you're talking about the consulate in GZ, not HG.

I have no direct knowledge, but my sense is that unless you have a pretty good reason for not visiting more often (work related, etc.), the fact that you've only met once in what is likely to be a year long process doesn't help a lot in establishing a bona fide relationship. In my view, e-mails, etc. are no substitute for meeting and spending time together, both from a visa processing perspective and from a personal perspective.

This is the question of the century.. No easy answers; no guarantees... but some guidelines seem to play out. Time with the SO may be the most important overall (meaning, since VOs differ, the chances of satisfying any one of them is more likely with more time visiting).

Just to put the process in some context. For the sake of starting and submitting the I-129F (assuming K-1 visa), one meeting is sufficient as part of that packet. you can include pictures, letters, etc.

The big question is: Do you plan to visit her between the submission and interview ??

Since the interview would be about 8-12 months away, it seems that some VOs might want to know why you do not visit?

There's valid reasons for not being able to go as Robert points out.. but don't think that GZ will be reasonable.

if you have plans to visit once or twice more (maybe one of them is for the interview), then I think you improve your odds..

In my view, e-mails, etc. are no substitute for meeting and spending time together, both from a visa processing perspective and from a personal perspective.

Let's go back boys and look at what Frank said. He is not just talking about getting the visa. He is talking about spending time with the person you plan on spending the rest of your life with. I agree with this completely... :rolleyes:

In my view, e-mails, etc. are no substitute for meeting and spending time together, both from a visa processing perspective and from a personal perspective.

Let's go back boys and look at what Frank said. He is not just talking about getting the visa. He is talking about spending time with the person you plan on spending the rest of your life with. I agree with this completely... :rolleyes:

I have to add my agreement. I sometimes wonder why they don't give more blue slips to people that have only met once. Despite how well we think we know each other through emails or phone calls, the outside world still looks at on-line relationships with suspicion.

I have to add my agreement. I sometimes wonder why they don't give more blue slips to people that have only met once. Despite how well we think we know each other through emails or phone calls, the outside world still looks at on-line relationships with suspicion.

Even visiting what does one really know? The SO controls what you see and what you know. Especially for those of us without the language. There are few who can take off for a couple months. Also there is the problem that they don't want friends or others jealous and making trouble for them. Protection from loosing face is another screen that is hard to penetrate.

So who is to blame? No one really, we fell for someone who is hardly accessible to us. The visa system partly because they want a marriage commitment with little chance to get to know one another. Wouldn't it be better if you could invite someone you like over for 6 months or even a year as a Fiance to get to know each other rather than a 90 day period you spend mostly rushing around getting paper work in order?

Hi,

Have a quick question.  My fiance and I only met physically once in Hong Kong for about 2 weeks.  However, we have lots of email and talk all the time on the phone with evidence as proof.

How will the Consulate look at this being that we only met in person once???

It does not matter how many times you met, even you never met her/him, as long as you can provide some documents, she/he still can get K1 visa.

I think right now you should worry more about how the life is going to be later on as you only met 2 weeks in person? emailing, talking on the phone are different than living together, but anyway, marriage always needs to be developped.

Good luck!

It does not matter how many times you met, even you never met her/him, as long as you can provide some documents, she/he still can get K1 visa.

Wrong. You must have met in person within the past two years.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1guide

Yup that's their rule once within two years of filing the application. Beyond that requirement you must convince them on paperwork and the SO in interview that you really have a commited relationship.

Even visiting what does one really know? The SO controls what you see and what you know. Especially for those of us without the language. There are few who can take off for a couple months. Also there is the problem that they don't want friends or others jealous and making trouble for them. Protection from loosing face is another screen that is hard to penetrate.

So who is to blame? No one really, we fell for someone who is hardly accessible to us. The visa system partly because they want a marriage commitment with little chance to get to know one another. Wouldn't it be better if you could invite someone you like over for 6 months or even a year as a Fiance to get to know each other rather than a 90 day period you spend mostly rushing around getting paper work in order?

Dan, don't disagree with you. It takes several years of living with a person to really know them. However, I have to keep looking at this from people who have never had an on-line or long distance relationship. Most of these people simply cannot believe its possible to develope a genuine relationship this way.

I really think the real answer is to let these women come to the US for long visits before applying for a visa. I definitely would support the 6 month idea as well.

Wrong. You must have met in person within the past two years.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1guide

Unless, of course, you have some sort of cultural reason for never meeting.

And I don't think the U.S. Consulate counts Internet chatrooms as being a significant culture . . . ;)

Seriously though, regardless of what it takes to issue get the visa issued, get to know this woman better in person.