So many teas

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The little pressed bowls of tea I have that is one of my favorites is Toucha Pu Erh

According to its different processing methods, Pu-erh tea can be divided into three groups: Pu-erh special tea, Pu-erh green tea and Yunnan black tea. It also can be classified into two types by its shape: Pu-erh compressed tea and loose tea.

It is the county where the best teas are grown. The unusual thing is that these teas are aged. The flavor changes witth age. Like cheese each tea maker has starter culture that gives the special taste. It varies greatly.

Gee As I explore more and more sections of CFL, I am finding more and more interesting things here!!

I was also surprised at how many Chinese just drink plain hot water. I even happened to have some tea with us and our guest just wanted hot water.

In Shanghai the tap water is especially rank! It smells and tastes like it is a by product from an oil refinery! Even with my cast iron stomach, it was hard to even brush my teeth or rinse with Shanghai tap water.

As for tea, I have a few favorites. One that used to be common but is hard to get now is Lapsang Souchong. It is a unique and VERY smokey flavored tea. I prefer Yamamotoyama Decaf Green tea which has a very nice taste.

I also enjoy Chamomile tea and it is very good for upset stomach or nerves. I was driving back from the foothills of the Sierra Nevada north of the bay area and I smelled a familiar smell. It took a few minutes to recognize the smell of chamomile. After I figured out what the wonderful smell was, I looked to discover I was driving past a chamomile farm. There were football field sized stands of yellow green chamomile flowers all around me. If I was traveling by myself, I would have just stopped there for a few hours to inhale !

One last comment, we went to one of the tea merchants in Shanghai because I wanted to take home some more Jasmine tea. On my first trip to Shanghai, I just bought a small bag of jasmine flowers. 2 or 3 tiny compressed flowers would make a whole pot of tea. This time due to a communications problem, I got a bag of tea with flowers in it that will probably last me for the next 10 years!!! :) :lol: :lol:

By the way John, have you read the thread "Californians Unite" in the Contact List forum? There is a meetup planned for August in San Luis Obispo.

Yes, thank you But. I anticipate my interview date will be in August so am unwilling to fill any dates with other commitments at this time. After I learn the actual interview date I can certainly see about going to SLO.

I just found this recipe, on the wall, next to the goat heads: A Folk Prescription about Dragon-Well Green Tea. Indications. High Cholesterol Control. Diabetes Main Composition. Dragon Well Green Tea 5g Haw (hawthorne) 10g Orange Peel 5g Dosage: To soak the mixture with 200ml of 85-90 degrees boiled water for 30 minutes, then drink water and eat up mixture. Administration: Do it once every day, 2 months is treatment.

please- the grammar is straight from the original China printing, no Triggilish amendments allowed.

Mmmmm Hawthorne!!! In the Chinese communities east of here bubble drinks are real popular now especially the Boba franchise. The Hawthorne called Black Plum on the menus has a heavy smoky taste. I bet a Boba franchise would go well in summer in the midwest.

http://www.boba.us/

Robert when you get to Vietnam try a jelly drink, the three color is very popular. Ask Thoa. As far as I'm concerned Salty (preserved) Lemon drink is much better than lemonade. And don't miss out on Goi Coun the cold not fried Vietnames egg roll thingie. Usually it is dipped in a peanut sauce. I prefer dipping it in Nouc Nam (fish sauce). Now I'm getting hungry thinking about your trip. Are you sure you don't need someone along to explain what you are eating. I'll even taste it first to make sure it is safe.